Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fellow campus cops... most of us walk the fine line in between police work and duty to an employer. Many times, our employers ask things of us that go above and beyond the scope of our training. For instance:

It has been noted that animal control will not go into a building to remove a brown bat. Of the many hats I am supposed to wear, I am asked to be "animal control" and remove said bat. (Insert image of terrified student here.) - Do any of you run into situations like this that frustrate you? I mean, where is the line drawn, and should one chalk this up as one of the duties of working in a private institution?

What if I get bit? EEeeek! - runs away with a girly run. :lol:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh Sir I feel your pain :BM: Although I am no longer of services to a college community, I have been fortunate to work in a town now. I spent almost 3 years at a college. A place where they wanted you to do everything... BUT police work. I had a couple animal calls where the students complained about a "sick" animal. Well I couldnt have shot it, we didn't carry guns. The student of ye ol' liberal college did not want the animal killed or injured, she just wanted it move away from her. Meanwhile the sick rabid, hissing raccoon is in the corner hissing at me showing its teeth. She said that she wanted me to pick it up in a blanket and move it. :G: [-X Yeah right. We called the local police to come shoot it. We were more than just campus police, we were plumbers, movers, hotel concierge, parking attendants, valet attendants, guarders of the cone, did I forget taxis and mind readers. As my former Director of Public Safety used to say, "we are here for the community" :sb: Now how can one find time to do any police work while tending to all those tasks. I feel for you, I know how it is. Some colleges are extremely frustrating to work at between the students and admin. Just keep sending out the resumes and someday you will be in a better place. Also try clicking your heels three times and see if that works too :D

cjm...I'm sure you can agree.

·
Registered
334 Posts
GPD11 said:
Oh Sir I feel your pain :BM: .
^^^^^ Sir???

Anyway, I've always just taken the additional duties as par for the course in a campus setting. You definitely need to have many hats, it's never going to change. You have to try and make it positive and do the best you can - personally, I don't think I'd mind some of that stuff, it keeps things different and interesting. Also, you need to deal with things in the manner that seems fit to you and your abilities. In the raccoon incident, for instance, perhaps tell the girl, "I'm not trained in this sort of thing and I'll do the best I can, but that means killing it." You are there to keep them safe, not to ease there guilty conscience.

I was lucky to be involved with a pro-active department and while there was still the occasional bitching on the part of PO's, I think it was a "grass is always greener" case most of the time. Though it always appeared pretty good from where I was standing. You could be very active during a shift or relax and coast through and it never seemed to be a problem (it was annoying when a few people decided to coast ALL the time and never wanted to get off there ass for little, but necessary calls). On the proactive side, I remember the chief once telling a PO something along the lines of, "Stop locking up all the students! Non-students breaking laws or trespassers, you can take all day long, but enough with the students!" When it came down to it though, I think this was more a way to keep things in control and prevent problems because if students broke the law, they got arrested and I never heard of any real issues regarding arise from it.

Campus judiciary is also an interesting subject. It's a crap shoot, but I've heard of schools where an offender got it WAY tougher through campus judiciary than any punishments through the legal system. Of course this is for the smaller, more prevalent campus type violations, such as alcohol stuff. I've heard of places where, given the choice, a student would much rather go to court and PO's would much rather divert to the campus judiciary. Minor V's would receive a slap on the wrist in court, but on campus would lead to serious consequences - probations and expulsions, rescinded scholarships and financial aid, and black marks on transcripts, which made most grad schools out of the question. Sometimes, I think you have to use your resources and determine "where are they going to get the punishment that is fitting of the crime?" It might be on campus, it might be in the legal system, or both!

Just my thoughts,

Eric

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
LeadDog17 somewhow I see you as a campus chief or a college administrator of some type one day.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,661 Posts
Macop said:
LeadDog17 somewhow I see you as a campus chief or a college administrator of some type one day.
Jeezus!

Don't wish that on him! Besides he'd have to write a policy on scooping dog waste or figuring out the fine$$$$$
:lol:

G

·
Ok I can talk about this situation which happened to me while worling for Hospital campus police. I can talk about this now because I just finish up with my therepy sessions and I'm of the medication, :lol: Just Kidding

Anyway I can laugh at myself when I do something stupid or look foolish in the process of my duty's. Anyway I was in the animal lab research area of a Boston Hosp doing my routine cheking and locking doors, I came across a door that was not locked and the light was off. So like the good employee I was I opened the door and turned on the light. Well in the room where cages w/ animals in them and one happend to be wide open, the one that was wide open was the one with a good sized pig in it. He seemed relativley calm sititng in his pen but his gate was wide open and it should not have been. So I entered the room and when the door closed behind me the pig got startled & jumped up. He then took off running around the room.

Now I'm definitly not an ACO officer and never stepped foot on a farm. I have no idea how you pursway a screaming pig back into his pen where he has absoulutley no intentions of going. Well after listening to this dam pig squeal and scream bloody murder I felt bad for it. The pig was screaming like I was killing it and I never even got close enough to touch it, I couldnt catch it, it was way too fast and I was to busy dodging pig shit and slippin on they hey.

Anyway needless to say I finnally got him in his pen. Well after the ordeal with this porka I went to wash my hands and wipe off the sweat because after chasing I must of lost 5 lbs from sweating. That night it was raining and I had on a 3/4 orange rain jacket so I was really sweating my ass off which by the wy landed in the trash because I was paranoid about the stuff the inject and do to these animals so I just thru it out. Well lets just say I had to leave work and go home to shower an change my uniform from all the debris that the porka was kicking up.

So Smatson I hear ya, I can defintily relate.

And If I hear any pig jokes I'm deleting all your posts, LOL Just kidding.

And forgive me if there are spelling erros I didnt have time to proof it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can related to this, we are HIGHLY EXPECTED to wear almost 100 frigging hats at are place sometimes. From animal removal to the VIP need to have their parking spots, or can you open this, etc, etc, etc. :( I just take it with a grain of salt. That's why I do what I have to and that's it. I know the grass is greener else where, and hopefully we will all get to it soon.

·
1,952 Posts
Few funny calls similar.

We had a squirrel in a classroom and a pigeon.

Greatest walk in however:

Man walks into our lobby and is all out of breath like he just ran from someplace, sweating profusely. I first think ok this isn't going to be a normal service request. This is how the conversation went...

Man: You have to get someone to Ruggles T Station now!

Me: Why what has happened, we can send someone there but we MBTA has to respond and will have over jurisdiction over the situation.

Man: Whatever, as long as someone goes there, he's just laying on the side of the road! A bus is going to run him over!

Me: Ok where is the man, could you see him moving, could you see him breathing or anything, how old did he look?

Man: No he wasn't moving and nobody was helping him and he wasn't moving and and...

Me: ok ok, if you can tell me exactly where in Ruggles he was (picking up phone)

Man: He was on the curb as you enter from Columbus Ave and Melena Cass, you have to send someone now he's going to be hit by a bus!

Me: Ok sir calm down I'm going to call BEMS now and then the MBTA PD and we will send two of our EMT's there

Man: Wow thank you, let them know that his wing might be broken and

Me: WHOA.. STOP TALKING... WING??

Man: Yes it's a pigeon.

Me: I will not call anyone for that matter.

Man: But he could die.

Me: Sir, I am not sending anyone anywhere for a pigeon.

Man: But....

Me: Absolutely not and do not ask again.

Silly hippies :roll:

G

·
Ya should've still called EMS and gave them his description and told them you had a nut case in your lobby,LOL :lol: Maybe they would've taken him to the funny farm to mend his broken wing, :lol: .

·
Registered
39 Posts
This one's second hand...
A party turned over a baby squarrel that had fallen from a tree and requested that the officer's get it to a VET clinic to save it.
The officer's told her they would take care of the poor little guy and she was on her way. They had the dispatcher make a few calls....then put the squarrel in a bag and wacked it on the dumpster a few time to put it out of it's misery.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,661 Posts
1zero7 said:
This one's second hand...
A party turned over a baby squarrel that had fallen from a tree and requested that the officer's get it to a VET clinic to save it.
The officer's told her they would take care of the poor little guy and she was on her way. They had the dispatcher make a few calls....then put the squarrel in a bag and wacked it on the dumpster a few time to put it out of it's misery.
:L:
I friggin love it!

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
1zero7 said:
then put the squarrel in a bag and wacked it on the dumpster a few time to put it out of it's misery.
It's spelled "squirrel", and that is not funny or amusing at all. It's animal cruelty, and I don't care if it's a squirrel, pigeon, or seagull, that's f*cked up. They should have called the Animal Rescue League or brought it there themselves.

Some people have no respect for life.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
that is pretty F-ed up 1zero7..I dont know who you are but thats some sick shit! You must work with some pretty screwed up people.

·
MassCops Member
75 Posts
:lol: I have also been down this road but it's not a big deal. i was dispatched to one of our "male" RD'S apt. this spring. Dispatch said he wanted to talk to me, he's a pretty good guy i go up and he states i have a f#ckin bird in here and its shitting and breaking all kinds of shit. I stop and think a perfictley healthy man is asking for help with a bird. I tried to do the humane thing and that didn't work so i asked for his broom and waited a minuet. And when the crow landed on his bed i gave my best Sammy Sosa and flattened the thing on his bed and then told him to have a nice day.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
You know, I never understood people that could kill an animal for no good reason without a second thought. I could see if an animal was so badly hurt that it would be humane just to put it out of it's misery, but otherwise it's pretty sad that it has to lose it's life just because it's a pest.

I know some sickos that actually speed up when they see a cat or some other kind of animal in the street and they think it's just hilarious. I think it's the beginnings of a serial killer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This happened a few weeks back at the University I work for. I was conducting my routine lock ups for the evening. As I walked into the rear loading dock area of this building I noticied a pigeon walking around in the building acting all confused. It kept walking around in circles and then into the wall. I figured it was just disorientated so I decided to try to get it out of the building. I propped opened the lobby door and figured it would fly out. I started to follow it and it started to run away and then began to fly away. Well the poor little misguided spirit flew right into a window and broke his own little poor neck. It started to flop around and then closed it eyes. I took a stack of New York times that had been in the lobby and with my gloves on wrapped it up and placed it in the dumpster. Poor little fella will be missed by the other members of his community. Thank God there were no students around they would have made it look worst than it already was.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's right! :NO: What's samatter(a Medford word) w/ u KID?! :-k Eglock call me well get coffee. I'm off on Sat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dunngeon,
Um...I can't tell if you are seroius or mocking the people out there that lack all forms of intelligence and common sense.
:lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.