Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have convinced the US Military powers to be to purchase an enhanced 9-1-1 system since they are putting in a brand new telephone system for the base. I will be meeting with a Tom Pratt after lunch today to talk about specifications and bells and whistles. We will also be talking about the three business lines I have in dispatch to include caller ID, transferring calls and voice mail.

I am excited because my Chief told me we would never get E911. SO I have some more work ahead of me to get the E911 system up and running.

Jeremie
Camp Arifjan Emergency Services Communications

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Jeremie

Good job stay safe over there and no wondering off anywhere!

GIl

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update from Kuwiat

Well I can not even remember the last time I did a bulk email to everyone so I will catch everyone up from June until today.

Lets see for the most of June it was just work and rest nothing more going on except some meetings and teleconferences. Call volume was 80 calls for June. May not sound like a lot but crime is very low on base (no alcohol) and we do not handle none emergency calls for the PMO (Military Police) or the TMC (Hospital). We deal just with emergency and 911 calls. Stuff like tickets and transporting a sick person from the TMC to another facility is handled by those departments.
July we had another surge. A surge is when a large group of soildiers come down from Iraq with all their equipement and gear and go home. They come to my base or to Camp Udari to clean up, out process and go home. THis one was not that big and only lasted a few weeks. The one in Feb was much larger and lasted 3 months. They are expecting more surges but with fewer troops and lasting only a short time.

During June and July Brenda Worrell (one of three Dispatchers) was on vacation. During this time we were told about and ISP and DoD inspection coming in three weeks. So on top of working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for a month George (the 3rd Dispatcher) had to create Dispatch SOP's, P&P's or what ever your company may call them. This normally is no problem you call another Dispatch center to get their SOP's and just change the names. LOL but it is true.
Here we could not do that, why? well because we are a 1st. We are a ASG or Area Support Group 911 center. No other exists and our SOP's have to be specialized to what we do and where we are. Our SOP's consist of 6 binders.

A general WORK INSTRUCTIONS binder

Response Cards for zone 1 and zone 2 of the base (this turned into 2 binders)
Notifications (phone directory of #'s we use a lot)
Maps
and
Call Cards (Remember Rescue 911 and the Dispatcher had cards she read from to ask the caller questions? Same thing)

George and I completed this and got everything else in Dispatch ready for the inspection along with painting the center and building from scratch a temporary Dispatch console.

I was appointed as the SOP manager and what is called the ARIMS Coordinator for Dispatch. ARIMS stands for Army Records information Management System. No no more money but I am happy to have the responsibilities.

As for the inspection, ISO and DoD were very impressed with the center and that made George and I very happy. I knew they could not find anything because they asked very few questions. he Chief has been patting me on the back ever since.

Oh during this time George and I had to put together our specifications for a Enhanced 9-1-1 (E911) system and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system. We had a few teleconferences and meeting to get this done and I have to thank the people from the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) and the Association of Public safety Communications Officals (APCO) for helping use get this done. With out them we would have been lost.

Well for the past week for so I have been just trying to recharge my battery with not much success. The chief has had me busy with a lot of odd jobs. I have been putting together a new logging system for Fire Prevention, making new forms for other Fire Dept sections so they meet ISO and DoD requirements and making a spread sheet for a wellness program for the department. After that I have to work on getting the other dispatchers and firefighters to start following the SOP's to a T. That will be a killer. Then I start working on a new in-service training program for Dispatch (badly needed).

At the end of August I am taking the APCO Communications Center Supervisor course and in Oct I take the Communications Training Offciers course. These will add to the list of my certifications like a Dispatch Instructor certification. Yes you would be right that I am trying to line myself up for a management position. We should have a Dispatch center manager position created an December and I want it. We will see

Oh the biggest news I forgot to tell you all about. last night I met with Randy from the Department Of Information Management (DOIM) about the E911 and CAD systems. Well get this we are getting them. NOT just getting them but getting state of the art all the bells and whistles systems. The same systems that New York and Boston use. I was flying so high last night.

We also finally got our furniture proposal approved and ordered so if everything is timed right we will get the furniture in Oct and the E911/CAD systems a few weeks later. So very soon we will go from working out of the back of a truck (when Brenda 1st got here) to state of the art first ever US Military Theater wide 911 center. Very Cool if I may say so.

For those of you wondering I will be extending until 09 Aug 05 to assist in the changes coming. I told the Chief I will stay until 09 Feb o6 if things work out in Dispatch (code for if you give me the Dispatch Managers job) so we will see. As of 01 January 05 we are theater wide (kuwait for all ARCENT bases, 6 in all) for all Fire, EMS and Police calls along with 911.

OK nothing else for now that I can think of.

I am being safe and everyone's in my thoughts daily.

Jeremie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.