Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cambridge has one of the best contracts around.

One of the highest paid departments, and one of the few still with unlimited sick time.
They still have an alternating night shift available. {Great for details or time off}.
Shifts and cruiser assignments are picked by seniority. {Brass can't screw with you}.
All the details you want, all the eye candy you can handle. {Most important}
Full quinn bill. {attaches to court and regular OT.}
New cruisers/computers every year.
No residency requirement.

They have had, or will have a bunch of guys retiring and don't want to be left short handed, though they currently have a class in the academy. {Hence the transfer openings}.
They had about 8-9 guys recently transfer over from surrounding depts, and all have supposedly said they would never go back to their old jobs.
Plenty of slots usually open up for detectives, motorcycle, swat etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cambridge had several requirements for the last group of applicants they looked at for lateral. If I'm not mistaken, you had to have a certain number of years on; had to have worked in a city of at least 40,000 people; and have to have training in a special area such as motorcycle, bicycle, etc. I have some experience working with Cambridge PD and was always impressed with their department.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I graduated from their academy: they are a first class department, especially when you factor-in the "bolshevik" citizenry...and the 'civilian review board'... :D

G

·
You will not be going in at top step. You will go in at Step 2. Expect to have no pick of shift until next April. Being Jr. means that you will not have much of a selection for shifts, or assignments. That means in the station at least 2 shifts per week, front desk or booking. Top step patrolman makes about 78,000 working nights with a masters degree. Detail rate is 36/hr. Expect alot of competition for the slots, they take a very hard look at sick time, discipline action, and specialty units.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
I grew up in Cambridge (The Peoples Republic Of Cambridge) and can say that they have a great department. Cambridge is a weird place for a cop to work. You have so many different types of people in the city to deal with. Wacko Lefty Liberals, Radicals, Hippies, many different ethnic groups, intellectuals, Harvard, MIT, Alternative Lifestyles etc. The city council should be renamed the John Kerry council, because it is the perfect place for him as they are so far left like him. Chief Watson was there for a couple of years when I moved out of Cambridge. So, I really can't speak for him. The pay and benefits are great, OT and details are abundant. Lots of special events etc. I remember years ago that one of Cambridge PD's contract had language in it that required them to be one of the top 5 or 10 paid departments in the state. If for some reason another town got a new contract and Cambridge got bumped to 11 or 12, there was an automatic raise for Cambridge without bargaining. I remember hearing this from a few people like 10 years ago. I don't know how true it is or if it is still in effect? I know that the Cambridge PD union is pretty strong and the City Manager is on the side of the cops, but this sounds like it is too good to be true.

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ntoiced that Cambdrige PD has extended their deadline. Anyone have any info on this? Nobody reallly had much to say about the dept in general. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well Sarge I hear it's unreal....They have yoga for their prisoners.....bread and circus catered roll calls everynight...and a nice vitamin packed enema for the officers that start getting uptight or complaining too much...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Several of my Friends are on Cambridge and they all love it. I know they are very well paid,once you are hired you are not required to live in the city. The only complaint is being that it is Cambridge you are under the microscope a little more that you might be in other towns,a lot of time filling out use of force forms even for the slightest actions. Other than that a solid department

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The CPD deserves every dollar: they earn it! Bolsheviks, Richy-Rich and Scumbags make-up their population. It's a difficult route, but satisfying for a "flexible" personality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Money is not everything. I know an Officer from another municipality that lateraled to cambridge worked less than a week and went back to his old department. He hated cambridge. To many rules, policies, he said they took the fun out of being a cop and doing the job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
pablo said:
Money is not everything. I know an Officer from another municipality that lateraled to cambridge worked less than a week and went back to his old department. He hated cambridge. To many rules, policies, he said they took the fun out of being a cop and doing the job.
I know the same Officer.
He didn't go back to a better palce ... believe me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.