Cambridge City Council proposes civilian employees to conduct traffic stops | MassCops

Cambridge City Council proposes civilian employees to conduct traffic stops

Discussion in 'Politics & Law Enforcement' started by Public Safety, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Public Safety

Public Safety MassCops Member

Cambridge City Council is proposing a new policy order that would have civilian employees of the Traffic and Parking Dept. conduct traffic stops and enforce ch. 90. “The presence of an armed police officer during a ROUTINE traffic stop raises the tension of the encounter unnecessarily and can itself lead to conflict, causing harmful stress to both parties and damaging the relationship between police and the community.” Seems like a great idea. It’s Cambridge, so I have to say, I’m not the least bit surprised. o_O

Attached Files:

res2244 likes this.
  2. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

Civilians that aren't part of an LE agency using an MDT? That's an ooof. :rolleyes:

Sooty likes this.
  3. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Cambridge=Berkeley East!:(

4. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

When do we tell them there's no such thing as a "ROUTINE" traffic stop?

Who will be the sacrificial lamb to try this only to get slaughtered by the driver?

res2244, AB7 and HistoryHound like this.
  5. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Sounds like a great idea. What could possibly go wrong?

Sooty likes this.
  6. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

It’s sounding more and more like they want to go to a British police model: mostly unarmed cops but with armed response officer cars in case they encounter guns. It doesn’t work well in Britain, however, and it’s certainly not going to work here.

Sooty likes this.
  7. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Please let this pass. I moved to NH, but I will head down to do donuts in Haaaavard Square.

8. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

I’ll make sure I don’t pahk my cah at the Hahvahd yahd while you are doing that

CCCSD, PG1911, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

No authority. MGL specific only to police writing tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooty likes this.
  10. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Can’t have access to MDT/NCIC etc data by law. No SCMODS for the Pogue.

Bloodhound and Goose like this.
  11. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

[​IMG]
    One of my top 5 movies right there!

12. IamTheDude

IamTheDude MassCops Member

Sure there is such thing as a "routine" traffic stop... you know like when someone gets pulled over for driving a vehicle without a license plate, has a gun, and it turns out they just blew up a federal building!

mpd61, Drebbin, Sooty and 3 others like this.
  13. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

If the Cambridge city council thinks that there is such a thing as a “routine traffic stop” then my gut tells me none of them have ever been police officers. (You can imagine my surprise)

mpd61 and CCCSD like this.
  14. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

The term “routine traffic stop” makes about as much sense as “bulletproof vest”

Drebbin, Tango_Sierra, Goose and 2 others like this.
  15. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Or black lives matter as a political statement.

mpd61 and PG1911 like this.
  16. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

So the city counsel is afraid of stressing out someone pulled over by an armed police presence? I guess you wouldn’t want to ruin a wanted felons day and make them feel all nervous over a traffic stop:rolleyes:

mpd61, Sooty and CCCSD like this.
  17. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Cambridge has a great police department... it'd be one thing if they're rife with issues!

And I don't even think they're thinking "be like Britain!" - they just don't want proactive police.

18. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Harvard and mental square would be overrun, I sat let them have a taste of that.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

CCCSD likes this.
  19. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Good department, busy patrol areas, good money, lots of special unit opportunities... no way I’d ever want to work there. It’s just not worth the bullshit. No fucking way

20. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Brookline PD is the best! They're sporting beards so as not to offend Isis or any of the other "progressives" in town..........

CCCSD likes this.
  21. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Don’t be jealous. If you have a beard, you’re an Operator, so it means you’re like an SSPO Deluxe.

AB7 and mpd61 like this.
  22. IamTheDude

IamTheDude MassCops Member

Just imagine this passes, starts happening, and inevitable goes completely sideways... Trump has the opportunity to say "The Cambridge city council acted stupidly!"

Goose, HistoryHound and mpd61 like this.
  23. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

I think you have this backwards.

It will pass, it will go sideways, and the deranged morons in Cambridge will say “Trump has made this country so dangerous that not even non-law enforcement traffic enforcers are safe any more!”

JR90 likes this.