1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated: January 12th, 2005 01:46:32 PM

California State Prison Officer Stabbed to Death at Chino Prison

The Associated Press

CHINO, CA (AP) -- A 43-year-old guard at the California Institution for Men was stabbed to death Monday in an inmate attack -- the first fatal assault on a state corrections officer since 1996, officials said.

Manuel A. Gonzalez Jr., 43, died at a hospital following the 10:50 a.m. attack at the prison that houses minimum- and medium-security inmates, officials with the California Department of Corrections said in a statement.

Three inmates, said to be associates of the East Coast Crips street gang, were being questioned about the stabbing, said Margot Bach, a department spokeswoman.

Gonzalez was a 16-year employee of the corrections department and had been working at the Chino prison since February 1996. He had five children.

The inmates being questioned were identified as Jon Blaylock, Keith White and Henry Riley, Bach said.

Blaylock, 35, is considered the primary suspect in the attack, officials said. He was imprisoned last June after receiving a 75-year sentence for attempted murder and had been imprisoned twice earlier for attempted burglary in 1990 and 1993.

Youth and Adult Correctional Agency Secretary Rod Hickman had planned a media briefing Monday afternoon on other matters, but canceled it after the slaying.

"There is no greater loss than to lose a brother officer killed in the line of duty," Hickman said in a statement. "I know as professionals we will pull together to help Officer Gonzalez's children and parents deal with this loss and all of us throughout this state will pull together to help heal the wound that has been inflicted on our agency and state."

Lance Corcoran, executive vice president of the California Correctional Peace Officers Association, said Gonzalez was attacked while handing out sack lunches.

Gonzalez was not wearing a stab-resistant vest of the sort that has been mandatory for guards in segregation areas for about the last three years, Corcoran said. The vests are being phased in for guards such as Gonzalez who work in general population areas, and 100 of the vests were warehoused at the prison but not yet distributed, Corcoran said.

The vests are measured and fitted individually, and the corrections department has been moving to provide them for its 31,000 sworn peace officers, said George Kostyrko, a department spokesman.

"It takes a lot of time to get that done with that many employees," he said.

In 1996, a California Youth Authority inmate at another Chino facility fatally stabbed Ineasie Baker, a 42-year-old female counselor. Her body was dumped in a trash bin and found days later in a landfill.

Since 1952, 20 male employees have been killed at adult prisons, Bach said. Baker is the only woman killed during that time. A guard had not been killed at an adult facility since a 1985 attack at San Quentin State Prison, Bach said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funeral arrangements are pending.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
skicop12";p="52632 said:
...Gonzalez was not wearing a stab-resistant vest of the sort that has been mandatory for guards in segregation areas for about the last three years.....
Some Poor SOB Trying to Earn a Living Gets killed by A Decomposing, POS Inmate... I Hope "Justice" Gets Served...Swiftly & Repeatedly...

Question for MA DOC Staff - Does the Department Supply The Kind of Vest In Question to its Officers?

·
Subscribing Member
211 Posts
The DOC Administration (caseworkers and teachers not LE types) do not want officers seen wearing protective gear (stab resistant vests,eye protection in segregation units for sh*tters and spitters,etc.) beacause it presents the illusion that the inmates are dangerous and a potential threat to officers and therefore may make the inmates more likely to act out violently.This may be a hinderance to the inmates treatment. rehabilitation, and reentry back into society.

Disclaimer: This is NOT my view, just the DOC's.I beleive Officers should have have every modern LE tool at there disposal to protect themselves, as inmate attacks of all types against CO's are common in Massachusetts prisons including assaults with bodily fluids (feces,urine,blood,spit,etc.)
by inmates who often are positive for AIDS,Hepatitis,etc.

Semper Fi,

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
SGT_GRUNT_USMC";p="53106 said:
...The DOC Administration (caseworkers and teachers not LE types) do not want officers seen wearing protective gear.....as inmate attacks of all types against CO's are common in Massachusetts prisons including assaults with bodily fluids...
by inmates who often are positive for AIDS,Hepatitis,etc.
Well, this begs the question; Where The Hell Is the Union on This Matter?
As A Private Employee Throughout My Entire Working Career, I Have Little Experience With Union Type Issues, and Forgive my Naivety, but I Always Thought Part of their Existence Was to Help Their Membership With These Kinds Of Unreasonable Demands..

·
Registered
10 Posts
They don't offer the vests where I work up at the Super-Max in Shirley but they do offer them at MCI-Walpole only in the DDU unit. They had an officer stabbed real bad in the mid 90's and the staff was required to wear them(only in the DDU). I don't know what the union is doing about it because it's never been an issue in my facility(not that I don't think about it). We've had 3 major riots at this institution in since it opened in 1998 and the only staff that was ever stabbed was our Supt. There has been over 50 stabbings involving inmates. Just thought I would give you my 2cents. Be safe! HEY USMC SGT. GRUNT GIVE ME A PM BECAUSE I'LL BE IN VEGAS IN A COUPLE WEEKS!! (PS GOT ANY GUNS!!!)

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Future Cop";p="54764 said:
Unbelievable to say the least. Vests should be part of the uniform. Screw how intimidating they look.

Abso-friggin-lutely...
Playing politics when Officers lives are on the line is BS...
:thumbdow:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated: January 28th, 2005 03:28:27 PM

Experts to Study California Prison Guard's Slaying

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- The state Board of Corrections on Thursday unanimously decided to ask a national panel of experts to investigate this month's fatal stabbing of the first corrections officer to die in an inmate assault since 1996.

The experts won't begin their work until the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office decides whether to file criminal charges. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department turned its case over to prosecutors this week.

Corrections officials have named Jon Blaylock, 35, imprisoned for attempted murder, as the prime suspect in the Jan. 10 slaying of 43-year-old Manuel A. Gonzalez Jr. at the California Institution for Men in Chino. But two other inmates believed to be from the same gang, the East Coast Crips, were in the area and also were transferred to different prisons after the stabbing.

Once prosecutors have completed their review, the board will formally appoint New York State Department of Correctional Services Commissioner Glenn S. Goord as chairman.

The panel also will include Assistant Secretary for Internal Affairs Joe McGrath; San Diego Sheriff William B. Kolender; Brian Parry of the National Major Gang Task Force; and Los Angeles County Jail Commander John L. Scott. The group will also include a representative from the National Institute of Corrections, and another national expert chosen by Goord.

Hickman said the panel will look for lessons that can be learned from the slaying to prevent future incidents.

Gonzalez was the first correctional officer killed since 1985. A youth counselor was murdered nearly 10 years ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
February 19, 2005

Death Penalty Will Be Sought in Guard's Death

By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer

The San Bernardino County district attorney announced Friday that he would
seek the death penalty against the inmate who allegedly killed a Chino
prison correctional officer in January.

Inmate Jon Christopher Blaylock, 35, allegedly stabbed veteran correctional
officer Manuel A. Gonzalez Jr. three times with a homemade knife Jan. 10 at
the Chino Institution for Men, killing the 43-year-old father of six from
Whittier.

Blaylock was serving a life sentence for the attempted murder of a police
officer.

"We have to protect our guards in prison," Dist. Atty. Michael Ramos said at
a news conference attended by the officer's family. "The only message to
send [prisoners] from this case is that if you kill, we're going to take
your life. [Blaylock] took the life of a wonderful human being."

Blaylock is expected to be arraigned within two weeks.

Manuel Gonzalez's slaying - the first of a state correctional officer in 20
years - is being investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's
Department, the state Office of the Inspector General and a special panel
organized by the Department of Corrections.

John A. Ferrone and Mark J. Peacock, attorneys representing the Gonzalez
family, said they will file a civil lawsuit against the Department of
Corrections and the Chino Institution for Men for alleged misconduct related
to the slaying.

The attorneys say Warden Lori DiCarlo was negligent because she failed to
move Blaylock to another prison despite his violent history. She also failed
to isolate him while he was held at the Chino prison, and did not distribute
protective vests to correctional officers even though the vests were in
storage at the prison, they said.

Gonzalez was not wearing a vest when he was stabbed in the upper torso and
abdomen while in the prison's reception center.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys, I used to be a screw before I became a COP. I also worked at the Super Max in Shirley. The mass Department of Correction does not care if a Correction Officer dies every day, as long as they don't get sued. These poor bastards put there life on the line every day like us and get treated worst then the CONS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I almost forgot to say whats up to my Brother SCREWS. I love you guys, stay safe and don't let that no good con lovin Commissioner of yours beat you down, you guys will out last her. It's easy for her to always side with the cons and leave you guys hanging out to dry when she has never been punched in the mouth by a con herself. :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Keez, good to hear from you. You watch your ass up there. Let me tell you, that no good con loving commissioner is going to hear from me soon, and fox 25.

See you Keez, tell the boys I said Hi

Fawkes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Keez, check out my East Coast Coppers banner on the front page. Let me know what you think. Spread the word in the joint for me Brother.

Thanks,

Fawkes

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Hey NARCcop33 - glad to see another former CO on the boards!
A good number of us are taking the exam tomorrow morning;
hopefully you will post some of the experiences you've had on the job as well.

Some of the guys from Shirley have been extraordinarily helpful in helping us understand the hiring process,
life on the job, what to expect, how to prepare for the PAT & Interviews,etc..
Another perspective is always welcomed!

Have a good weekend and wish us luck for tomorrow morning!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.