Calif. Officer Killed, Another Critical After Shooting | Page 3 | MassCops

Calif. Officer Killed, Another Critical After Shooting

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

LA any word on arrangements. Guys are talking about making the trip. Our prayers and thoughts are with you guys.

2. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Sorry about missing here for the last few days, we've been pretty busy to say the least. We've had to provide almost 70 protection details to Department personnel who Dorner specifically mentioned and targeted. We've all been working a minimum of 15 hour days since this started so we're all pretty wiped, physically and mentally. Knowing there's a guy out there who is targeting you specifically is pretty taxing.

Thanks to all who have sent prayers and well wishes, I really appreciate it. I've told many of my fellow officers out here and they say thank you also. These are really uncertain times we live in so it's really heartwarming to know our brotherhood/sisterhood is still strong. Please don't lose that as we really are all we have.

I don't know the details of the services for the San Bernadino County Sheriff's deputy yet but I would guess it's gonna be sometime next week. Their county is about 75 miles east of Los Angeles. Cuffs might have better knowledge about that area. If anyone here does go out there, please let me know, maybe we can hook up and say hello.

Thanks again everyone. Please do what you can to stay safe out there.

frank, LGriffin, Hush and 3 others like this.
  3. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

Raw video of yesterdays gunfight -graphic. Fuck.

Hank Moody and corsair like this.
  4. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

Glad this thing is over. Thoughts and prayers to the families of the dead, may you rest in peace. Dorner burn in hell.

Hank Moody and corsair like this.
  5. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Dozens of pro-Dorner protesters rally at LAPD HQ

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Dozens of protesters rallied outside Los Angeles police headquarters Saturday in support of Christopher Dorner, the former LAPD officer and suspected killer of four who died after a shootout and fire this week at a mountain cabin following one of the biggest manhunts in recent memory.
    Protesters told the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/11Ndm6i ) they didn't support Dorner's deadly methods, but objected to police corruption and brutality, and believed Dorner's claims of racism and unfair treatment by the department. Many said they were angered by the conduct of the manhunt that led to Dorner's death and injuries to innocent bystanders who were mistaken for him.
    Michael Nam, 30, who held a sign with a flaming tombstone and the inscription "RIP Habeas Corpus," said it was "pretty obvious" police had no intention of bringing Dorner in alive.
    "They were the judge, the jury and the executioner," Nam said. "As an American citizen, you have the right to a trial and due process by law."
    During the hunt for Dorner, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck called for Dorner's surrender and said he didn't want to see the suspect or anyone else injured.

http://news.yahoo.com/dozens-pro-dorner-protesters-rally-lapd-hq-014013324.html

6. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

More details coming out:

"Talked to San Bernardino sheriff today.

SWAT teams (2) fired 1300 rounds from M4's in full auto at Dorner. Dorner did shoot himself under the chin and up thru his little coconut. It appears Dorner may have been hit by Fish and Game before making the house. There was blood in the crashed vehicle and a trail leading to the cabin. Fish and Game uses new POF 308's that look and to me feel like 223.

The two deputies shot at the scene were the first to arrive. Both were shot with surpressed M4. The one alive was wearing a ceramic armor plate which stopped a 10 ring hit. He was also shot again thru the jaw and out the bottom of his mouth near the teeth. Fish and Game said nobody heard the shots that hit the deputies.

Every weapon he had was supressed. He had the m4, a 338 Lapua, and I forgot what else they said. In his burned out truck were two supressed AR's. Since supressors arent legal here ATF served a warrant in Arizona and hooked at least one person for buying the supressors and then transferring illegally. They said if Dorner fired at all after SWAT arrived it was all supressed and nobody heard a shot from his end.

The son of the property owner was advising SWAT that there was a full concrete basement beneath the house so SWAT decided no entry."

[​IMG]

frank and Hank Moody like this.
  7. Hush

Pictures of recovered weapons at CNN, can't copy/paste pics. Both suppressed, and AR and a .338 bolt action rifle. As above, ceramic armor plates saved one deputy. Every cop should have access to a set.

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Here's one...

[​IMG]

Hush likes this.
  9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Holy shit, was he planning on going bear hunting??

10. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Military guys:

While ceramic plates stop a .338 round? I'm guessing no, but thought I would ask

Hush likes this.
  11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

No, nothing short of the armored plate on a US Navy heavy cruiser is going to stop a .338 Lapua round.

Ceramic plates will stop 5.56 (AR-15/M-16) and 7.62X39 (AK-47 and its variants) rounds, which are child's play compared to a .338 Lapua.

frank and Hush like this.
  12. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I watched a few videos on the rifle. It's pretty impressive.

13. Hush

All the range and punch of the .50 Cal in a smaller package.

Ceramic plates are available that will stop .308 NATO (Winchester) 30-06 AP. Something to consider in rural areas, where hunting rifles are more prevalent than evil assault rif....excuse me, modern sporting carbines.

Ceramic plates are available through DRMO, many suppliers, and the secondary market. Beware, being ceramic they are brittle and can crack reducing their effectiveness. Some people X-ray plates yearly.
    There are lvl 3 plates that require IIIA protection soft armor backing , and "stand-alone" plates that can be used by themselves.
    Google "ceramic plates and DocGKR" ,he is the leading authority for LE body armor, and does his own independent testing.

Effective plates can be found for around $150 each that cover most 7.62 and 5.56 threats.
    Www.bulletproofme.com
    Www.bodyarmorsolutions.com
    Are a few, higher end plates are also widely available from distributors. Expect around 6-8 lbs each for the less expensive plates, lighter and thinner cost more $$.
    Then get a decent plate carrier, and make sure it rides UP FRONT where you need it, not in the trunk. And practice donning while driving and all that good stuff.

frank, Delta784 and USM C-2 like this.
  14. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Police and military should be given the best personal protection on the market by the citizens they serve no questions asked and at no cost to the officer either.

frank and Hush like this.
  15. Hush

SHOULD be, its a shame and an embarrassment they aren't. More money and effort goes to "diversity" training than survival.

16. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Shit, at my last department I had to supply my own rifle AND ammo, even though department policy stated that I could only carry department-issued ammo.

Of course it was never issued and my repeated requests for it were ignored.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

My vest is 10+ years old, the velcro no longer grabs, so it basically hangs on my body. No new one in sight, because the federal grant specifies a mandatory-wear policy as a requirement, and sometimes my chief is more concerned with being everyone's buddy than making a tough decision.

niteowl1970 likes this.
  18. Hush

Should be able to get a new carrier cheap. The panels should not deteriorate if stored properly, and kept from sweat and sunlight.

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The low-bid, POS vest I have doesn't have openings to take the panels out. I'd have to literally cut the panels out of the vest carrier.

20. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Amazes me that the "tough decision" is to ensure all of his personnel wear their vest. To be their buddy is to allow them to go in the field without one?

On my department, if by chance an officer didn't want to wear their vest in the field, they don't work the field, simple as that. I, as their watch commander would be remiss in my duty as a leader if I allowed that officer to work the field and something were to happen to him/her.

I like to be people's buddy too but I have a bigger responsibilty to ensure my folks have every available option to them to help keep them safe and go home to their family at end of watch, even if they aren't smart enough to do this on their own.

topcop14, frank, BxDetSgt and 2 others like this.
  21. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Yup. Very simple solution = Have the watch commander or one of the sergeants poke each officer in the chest as they leave the roll call room to make sure they're wearing their vest.

Unfortunately, there are far too many cops who value comfort above safety and tradition (don't get me started about turtleneck shirts instead of a tie).

22. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

We had awful vests up until about 5 years ago, and we now have decent one with solid carriers. My old one used to roll up at the bottom and rode like a lobster bib. I have always put a plate in my carrier for center mass protection. It makes vest heavy as hell, but makes me feel better.
    LA amen to vest inspections. I still remind my guys to take one out the door when they go on interviews, they mumble and grumble, but there was one time they all thanked me.

23. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

If you can't tell whether or not a guy is wearing a vest without poking them you probably shouldn't be a Sgt.

Also turtlenecks 4 life yo. (Except court where a tie is a must)

USMCMP5811 and lofu like this.
  24. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Dok, I disagree. Heavy winter jackets disguise a lot,and when you are inspecting a whole platoon before turnout you need to tap. I used to make the guys tap their own chest with their fist. As a boss, that is one you do not want to miss.

25. Hush

Is that an option? It should be a standard cut PACA panel, you can get a decent carrier or even a custom cut top of the line carrier for under $100, well worth the comfort.