Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The visor for the sunroof was broken down the middle.

Cable Dangling In O'Neill Tunnel Damages Car

Email: Did This Happen To You?

BOSTON (WBZ) ― Did you see the giant cable hanging in a lane in the Tip O'Neill Tunnel during rush hour Friday morning?

WBZ sports producer Joe Giza did and it damaged his car.

He described what happened as he drove on 93 North and entered the tunnel around 9:30 a.m.

"After I passed exit 23/Government Center, I got in the right hand lane, headed for exit 26/Storrow Drive. All of a sudden out of nowhere, in the middle of my lane I noticed a large black cable hanging from the ceiling all the way to the ground," Giza said.

"There was nothing I could do to avoid it - so I clutched my steering wheel and just ducked to the left, fearing this thing was going to come crashing through my windshield. I heard a loud WHACK as my car ran into it, but there wasn't any damage that would prevent me from driving, so I just kept on going to work."

A black streak now runs through the middle of the front windshield.

Damage Done

When he arrived at work, he found the bad news.

"Unfortunately there was damage - large black marks on the front of my car, hood and roof, and the visor for my sunroof was broken down the middle," he said.

Giza believes other drivers may have had the same problem.

"I don't know how many other cars ran into this cable - but considering the time of day and the morning commute, I couldn't have been the only one. I'm just shocked that it didn't cause a major accident, because a natural reaction to seeing that cable would be to swerve to avoid it, and if there were cars in the next lane, it would have disaster written all over it."

Black streaks on the hood mark the spots where the cable hit.

No Other Reports

State police told WBZ they have had no other reports of any other vehicles being damaged by the cable.

They planned to remove it after speaking with WBZ.

It's too late for Giza though.

"I know the damage isn't the end of the world, but I am in the process of trying to buy a car, and was planning on trading this one in. I'm worried now that this damage could ruin my car's value," he said.

Did this happen to you? WBZ wants to know.

Send us your story.

http://wbztv.com/local/oneill.tunnel.cable.2.858809.html

1 - 1 of 1 Posts