Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3057458a12,00.html

LOS ANGELES: California's attorney general wants to crack down on gun violence by laser-branding all handgun bullets sold in the state with tiny identification numbers nearly invisible to the naked eye.

The controversial proposal could open the way for the next major debate over gun control in California, a state that already has some of the toughest such laws in the United States.

Attorney General Bill Lockyer is expected to discuss his proposal at a meeting on gun crime today with Los Angeles Mayor Jim Hahn and a citizens group, an aide said yesterday.

Just think MA will be next.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Sorry, SOT, I just figured that 'bullets' was lemming for 'cartridge', as they use the two terms interchangeably. I wonder how survivable the markings would be, given bullet deformation/fragmenting...even more so for un-jacketed bullets... :?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they tested a whole 75 of them and 74 of them could be read...so I guess that's proof positive that they perfect enough to be the basis for a criminal trial. Yeah right.
These guys are asshats.

Sorry, SOT, I just figured that 'bullets' was lemming for 'cartridge', as they use the two terms interchangeably. I wonder how survivable the markings would be, given bullet deformation/fragmenting...even more so for un-jacketed bullets... :?

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
They were probably shooting them into a tank of water to keep the numbers identifiable. Shooting them into brick, cinderblocks, wood, humans etc, distorts or shatters the round. Maybe they should make a small tag and imbed it into the round, sort of like a fortune cookie. This way, the ME can get a chuckle when he digs the round out of somebody's skull. Just a thought for Ahhhnold to ponder.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
I think Ahhnold should move quickly on this from a fiscal $$$ waste perspective. I mean really.....................
Like criminals wont learn to just buff the numbers out or defeat them somehow. Or just get ammo out of state or steal it?
:roll:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just to add my input...Here are a few of LA's GANG only statistics for this year...This is just a small sample...Keep in mind that theres 416 KNOWN gangs in LA with KNOWN membership numbers of 46,187. Now add the rest of the state of California...and you get the idea.

Taken from LAPD.

http://www.lapdonline.org/general_i...tics/gang_stats/2004_gang_stats/04_08_sum.htm

Gang Homicides...209
Gang attempt homicides...501
Felony assaults...1686
Attacks on PO's...43
Robbery...1520

These statistics are gang related only. As of October 2, 2004, the city has had 410 homicides total. Not to mention the 10,674 robberies.

With numbers like these...Im having a hard time believing that laser printing bullets will stem the tide of violence. Maybe try something more proactive to stop the crime... :shock: :evil:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Maybe they can also make knives with laser-branded break-off blades so that ME's and police can trace these back to owners........I'm sure they will all be legally purchased with the trace card filled out in full.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.