C/O v. County C/O? | MassCops

C/O v. County C/O?

Discussion in 'Corrections' started by NikkiLee, Jun 14, 2014.

1. NikkiLee

NikkiLee New Member

Firstly, let me admit that the title may have not made sense.

I've been searching online for various Criminal Justice jobs and came across the county applications for a correctional officer. None of the requirements mention taking the Civil Service Exam, but some made it seem as if they had their own exams to be taken during the application process. I've also signed up for the Middlesex Sheriff's C/O entrance exam & have started filling out various applications for other counties (along with taking the Civil Service C/O I exam this year).

So, my question: Why are county C/O's not hired via the Civil Service exam? What's the difference between a County C/O and a regular C/O?

Or am I just crazy and misunderstood the whole process?

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

DOC is a state agency and the Sheriffs Offices are independent county agencies that do not fall under civil service.

There used to be a separate test for municipal civil service police departments and MSP. The police tests were combined only within the last several years as the state finally figured out they were wasting resources by running duplicate tests.

Being a jail deputy and being a state CO are two different animals and I can't think of a single good reason why HRD would take over SO testing.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 gigawatts!

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I always thought the DOC and the counties were civil service, but maybe only for some certain things ?

4. tallcapecop22

tallcapecop22 MassCops Member

Nope counties announce and do there own testing the DOC is a civil service test.

pahapoika likes this.
  5. NikkiLee

NikkiLee New Member

I always thought the same thing (as in, taking the Civil Service would put you on the list for all C/O jobs)... &&& apparently, my 4 year degree has taught me nothing lol.

Anyways, thanks guys!

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  6. pahapoika

DOC pays more, but you may have to do some serious commuting.

County inmates tend to be punks because they know their getting out soon.

State inmates tend to behave a little better because their in for the long haul and the joint is their "home".

Same sucky job, but it pays the bills.

7. car-ramrod

car-ramrod MassCops Member

It al depends what you are looking for. Both have their pros and cons. DOC pays better but I hear they are a lot stricter plus no details. Counties vary in terms of size and pay. I hear good things about some of the bigger counties (Middlesex, Suffolk, Essex, Norfolk, etc). Pay is good with lots of overtime and paid details. Some counties pay very poorly (Bristol, Worcester).

My advice, take any job you can, none are all that easy to come by. Plenty of people on the outside trying to get in, and people on the inside who hate the place!

pahapoika and NikkiLee like this.
  8. bigfoot1120

bigfoot1120 MassCops Member

Suffolk pays pretty well, starting pay during the academy is 20.20 an hr. The poor middlesex guys do not get paid during the academy.

FAPD likes this.
  9. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

But they sure make up for it with the road details all over Metro-West!!!!;)

mpd61 likes this.
  10. dano448

dano448 Supporting Member

Middlesex recruits do get paid during the academy.

11. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Soooo....That plus details makes it the happening job in Mass!

pahapoika likes this.
  12. bigfoot1120

bigfoot1120 MassCops Member

Always? The last middlesex guys that went through our Academy said they did not get paid during the academy...

13. pahapoika

That's messed up !!!

It's one thing to get trainee pay, but nothing ?

14. dano448

dano448 Supporting Member

In the 24+ years I've been here, five of which I was assigned to the academy, the recruits were always paid. Someone is giving you bad info.