Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
I wasn't around during the case but it was explained to me this way. The delightful Judge Mitchell (prior to that ugly drunk driving charge) presided over a labor dispute. His Honor asked a question about a police officer's work schedule. After a partial explaination about a revolving schedule he remarked that officers work all seven days of the week, completely discounting the obvious scheduled days off during that period. He graciously declared that a vacation week should also be 7 days long. (i.e. 4 weeks vacation equal 28 days.) As I presently enjoy this decision, I raise my glass to the good Judge.

· Registered
293 Posts
pablo";p="69613 said:
Go online due a search for the Burlington Union Newspaper. Burlington P.D. is a mess with some serious internal problems.
It's not that bad. If you like doing traditional police work or community policing type work and you aren't concerned about internal politics then it's a great department.

Some good things:

Really sharp supervisors (I'm not talking about myself, I'm just talking about my fellow C.O.'s), a lot of good people, optional summer uniforms, a lot of specialized things to get involved in if you have the will like RAD, Radkids, Dual-purpose motorcycle unit, motorcycle patrol, bike patrol, etc..., a good training budget, a progressive and laid-back attitude, a good number of specialty jobs w/extra pay, a laid back time-off attitude, lots of comp time, lots of details, night shift differential, EMT incentive, Quin Bill, at least 5 openings on the command staff in the next 5 or so years and the ability to make new ideas happen.

Besides the recent bad publicity we have a great relationship with the community. We get something like 20-30 positive letters, e-mails and phone calls to each negative one. The people who know what's really going on know we are pretty good.

Bad:

1 internal conflict that involves a handful of people and has made us look bad in the media. This will drag out for a while but it hasn't had much effect on what we do every day. A lot of departments have gone through much worse.

Our last two laterals went straight to days and are enjoying the job.

If you are a lump then stay away, if you are a good police officer then you will be very welcome. Smart people do well here. If anyone is serious about coming over and wants more info PM me.

· Subscribing Member
766 Posts
Webster";p="69603 said:
I wasn't around during the case but it was explained to me this way. The delightful Judge Mitchell (prior to that ugly drunk driving charge) presided over a labor dispute. His Honor asked a question about a police officer's work schedule. After a partial explanation about a revolving schedule he remarked that officers work all seven days of the week, completely discounting the obvious scheduled days off during that period. He graciously declared that a vacation week should also be 7 days long. (i.e. 4 weeks vacation equal 28 days.) As I presently enjoy this decision, I raise my glass to the good Judge.
I know I'm a bit off topic, but should this schedule apply to all police departments, or was it a single type ruling for BPD? Any info. or links to case law etc. would be appreciated if it should apply to all to all departments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.