Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MassCops Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bullet proof vest funding bill filed
Friday, November 11, 2005

Rep. Tom Sannicandro last week filed a bill that would require the state to pay half of the cost for new bullet proof vests for auxiliary, reserve and part-time police officers, which would take the cost of providing bullet proof vests off of cities and towns. The federal government already covers half of the cost of such bullet proof vests.
"When I learned that not every officer is covered by Massachusetts for this life saving body armor I knew there had to be a solution" Sannicandro said in a press release. "This bill fixes the problem and hopefully all of our law enforcement officials will be able to have up to date armor so they can do their jobs and better protect all of us"
"I was happy to file this bill because it began as an ordinary constituent phone call" said Sannicandro "A concerned auxiliary police officer called to let me know about the issue and not long after here we are with the solution."Herald Interactive Tools
Recent articles
E-mail article to a friend
View text version
Search site
Subscribe to Framingham TAB

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I remember when I was a Auxiliary/special the town "couldn't afford vests for specials". Now this will throw that BS right out the window. The cost of the vest is going to be alot lower than the annuity the town will have to pay out if the Officer gets killed.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Whoa!

Don't count your chickens hatched yet! This Massachusetts, it's just a proposed Bill!
#-o

·
Registered
456 Posts
RPD931 said:
I remember when I was a Auxiliary/special the town "couldn't afford vests for specials". Now this will throw that BS right out the window. The cost of the vest is going to be alot lower than the annuity the town will have to pay out if the Officer gets killed.
Quite a few years ago, the Secretary of Public Safety was a guest speaker at a LE organization I am a member of. At that time, I asked him about vests for our Special Police (I was one of them) and he told me (at that time) that the Fed and State reimbursement programs included ALL police (Aux, Special, FT, PT)! Problem was that the local chief had to submit the forms, the town pays for the vests and awaits reimbursement. Even though I was willing to front the money for the town and get reimbursed by the town when the state/Feds coughed up, we were TURNED DOWN. Local chief just didn't care to be bothered giving us (35 of us vs. 26 FT POs) the tools to be safe.

Subsequently, the grant programs were changed and one had to be a FT PO in order to qualify for the state vest reimbursement to the town. The Fed grant program only kicked in on vests that also qualified for the state reimbursement . . . and that was the end of that. So unless some other changes are made in the program, it will still be up to the local chief to spend town funds or not, and await reimbursement. Good luck, IF it passes.

When I became a Constable, I bought my own vest (all Kevlar, brand new) thru eBay at the suggestion of a fellow LEO on one of the LE forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts