Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/Budget woes handcuff State Police

Overtime is cut, hiring postponed

The state budget crunch has forced the Massachusetts State Police to slash overtime and delay plans to hire more troopers, while its ranks have steadily shrunk because of retirements.

DiscussCOMMENTS (2)

Kevin M. Burke, secretary of public safety, said the State Police has been spared layoffs in the recent round of budget cuts and has maintained adequate staffing levels, but does not have the money to hire and train a new class of recruits.
"I think the governor is very concerned, and he doesn't want to let it go much longer," Burke said during a telephone interview yesterday. "We have an older force and several hundred people who could retire tomorrow if they wanted to."
The department, which has 2,351 sworn officers, last hired troopers in September 2006, when a class of 149 recruits graduated from the training academy.
Since then, the force has lost 190 troopers, about what it takes to staff an entire troop, and another 18 plan to retire next month, said Colonel Mark F. Delaney, who heads the State Police.
"We could use a new class yesterday," said Delaney, adding that recruits undergo nine months of training before patrolling on their own. "It's a concern. We're shrinking."
It has meant more overtime costs to cover patrol shifts and daily budget crunching to make sure all the department's commitments are met, Delaney said.
But the State Police overtime budget has now taken a hit. As part of his $1 billion in state budget cuts last month, Governor Deval Patrick slashed $2.6 million from the State Police budget.
Those cuts include a $240,000 reduction in overtime and nearly $1.1 million that had been designated to patrol beaches, state parks, and other areas during the summer.
Richard R. Brown, president of the State Police Association of Massachusetts, said the State Police have stopped paying overtime, which means troopers are being denied time off because the department will not pay overtime to cover their shifts.
Still, Brown said: "For my members right now the biggest concern is if there would be any layoffs. We're down this much manpower, and we don't know what the next round is going to bring."
Burke said the governor has tried to protect public safety, pointing out that Patrick cut 7 percent from the state budget, but only about 2.3 percent in the area of public safety.
Before the recent cuts, the state had budgeted only $5 million for State Police overtime, even though the department spent $15.7 million on overtime in fiscal 2008.
The governor plans to seek a supplemental budget of about $11 million to fully fund State Police overtime, Burke said.
Patrick is also poised to refile a proposal the Legislature rejected last year that would fund a new State Police training class by assessing a small surcharge on auto insurance policies, Burke said.
"We are trying to be creative, inventive, and positive," Burke said.
In his public safety cuts last month, the governor also trimmed $3 million from the Department of Fire Services, $2.2 million from the Municipal Police Training Committee, $1.6 million from the Department of Correction, $450,000 from the Sex Offender Registry Board, $224,000 from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, and $265,000 from the Parole Board.
"The governor has protected public safety as much as possible in his first round of cuts," said Burke, adding that if the economic future remains grim, the State Police and other public safety agencies could fare worse in the next fiscal year.
"These are tough economic times, and we understand that," said Delaney, but he added that the State Police have been given expanded security duties since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and its specialized units investigate homicides, gang violence, and other crimes. They track fugitives, conduct forensic work and search and rescue missions, and provide a variety of services to cities and towns.
"We are still responding to all our core missions and answering all the calls, but is becoming more challenging," Delaney said.
Future budget cuts, without adding more troopers, could mean shifting detectives from specialized units to patrol duties, he said. "Obviously, we can't perform at the same level with reduced manpower, but we will do the best we can."
He added: "We're not going to abandon anybody. . . . We'll find ways to adjust budgets. . . . We'll never turn down a lost child."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...2008/11/20/budget_woes_handcuff_state_police/

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
One of the comments on the article..............all i could say was WoW

Some Jerkoff Commenting on the Article said:
I don't feel bad at all for their problems. they should vanish and get replaced by people who appreciate getting paid with tax payers money. there is a reason why so many people want to be a policeman: they want a gun, they want good money for playing golf in the big dig, and pulling people over for no good reason. quite often they stand on the road looking like they own it!! when a patrol car is behind a daily commuter they want all cars to move so they can go even when there is no emergency to attend!! who do they think they are? I would not feel bad at all if they all lost their jobs and were replaced by those who respect the ones who help pay their salaries. just listen to their commercials for click it or ticket. they love intimidating. instead of suggesting people to do something, they intimidate those who help pay for their salaries and of course no one says anything. fire the all.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
there is a reason why so many people want to be a policeman: they want a gun,...
I'm sorry, I didn't know only LEOs could have guns... Just to set the facts straight, I've had guns long before I took the job, as have many other officers and troopers.

"I would not feel bad at all if they all lost their jobs and were replaced by those who respect the ones who help pay their salaries... instead of suggesting people to do something, they intimidate those who help pay for their salaries and of course no one says anything. fire the all."

It must have been lakfan that wrote that...

G

·
When faced with anonymous criticism, consider the source.

Obamessiah has probably told Coupe Deval to not bother hiring any more police; the Civilian National Security Force is coming soon.

G

·
When faced with anonymous criticism, consider the source.

Obamessiah has probably told Coupe Deval to not bother hiring any more police; the Civilian National Security Force is coming soon.
There's talk that Obama may not even be a natural-born US Citizen, so let's wait before we start giving him presidential powers he may not even have a right to. Apparently there's word that his own family members have claimed he was born in Kenya and that they watched the birth. Hawaii and Obama have until the 3rd of December to produce a legitimate birth certificate.

Heard this on talkshowamerica.com, they have a mywaste account that has a recording of their show from the 13th that covers this. It's weird, too, as I'd assume that the media would be all over thi-...ohhhhh right, liberal media...

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
There's talk that Obama may not even be a natural-born US Citizen, so let's wait before we start giving him presidential powers he may not even have a right to. Apparently there's word that his own family members have claimed he was born in Kenya and that they watched the birth. Hawaii and Obama have until the 3rd of December to produce a legitimate birth certificate.

Heard this on talkshowamerica.com, they have a mywaste account that has a recording of their show from the 13th that covers this. It's weird, too, as I'd assume that the media would be all over thi-...ohhhhh right, liberal media...
lol come on now

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
One of the comments on the article..............all i could say was WoW

I don't feel bad at all for their problems. they should vanish and get replaced by people who appreciate getting paid with tax payers money. there is a reason why so many people want to be a policeman: they want a gun, they want good money for playing golf in the big dig, and pulling people over for no good reason. quite often they stand on the road looking like they own it!! when a patrol car is behind a daily commuter they want all cars to move so they can go even when there is no emergency to attend!! who do they think they are? I would not feel bad at all if they all lost their jobs and were replaced by those who respect the ones who help pay their salaries. just listen to their commercials for click it or ticket. they love intimidating. instead of suggesting people to do something, they intimidate those who help pay for their salaries and of course no one says anything. fire the all.
You are nothing but a jealous jerk off! Maybe you and your stupid LECS should vanish HATER!

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
you realize i didnt say that right?

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
So, what you are telling me is you were on crack or something? Maybe you are taking Question 2 a little seriously? C'mon, how the f##k else is that to be read?

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, what you are telling me is you were on crack or something? Maybe you are taking Question 2 a little seriously? C'mon, how the f##k else is that to be read?
TrooperzSon posted one of the comments from the article that was
posted in the comment section,it was not his reply.

He should have made it a little more clear when he posted it.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
thanks sorry about that

G

·
I think the layoffs and cutbacks are on the way,...... but in all honesty do we really need two thousand troopers? I think they do a great job but all the towns in Mass. I can think of have a department. Most states do not employ that amount of troopers because they use them properly placing them on the highways, which is where they belong. My partner and I were looking at the operational budget for the State Police and were surprised by the cost of the outfit. I think they are great but expensive, so please do not rip me a new one here just my 2 cents that's all.

·
is Goin down the bah
478 Posts
but all the towns in Mass. I can think of have a department.
Wrong. Talk to the Troopers in Western Mass.

Most states do not employ that amount of troopers because they use them properly placing them on the highways, which is where they belong.
They are the Massachusetts State POLICE, not the Massachusetts Highway Patrol.

so please do not rip me a new one here just my 2 cents that's all.
I won't, but your going to need a change of pants soon. :rolleyes:

G

·
The Massachusetts State Police are one of the few government agencies in this state that are worth what the taxpayers pay for. Most others serve no purpose but to take massive amounts of money for no good reason.

So what if their operating cost is sky-high? Take them away, see what happens.

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
thanks sorry about that
I apoligize. Annadad, why don't you worry about your own depts. operating budget. Maybe before you post, you should know what youy are taking about. You must still be on break-in.

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Not to mention, the MSP is always at the ready to ASSIST the local departments when a need arises -

AT NO CHARGE TO THE LOCAL TOWN

Even when they call a LEC response first, then MSP for thier Airwing or K9 or negotiator.​

I wonder how it feels for example, Duxbury residents to know that thier tax dollars are being squandered by thier department people racing all over Eastern MA on LEC callouts hours away?​
BTW what depts. still use partners?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts