Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

BU Student Newspaper calls for abolishing Campus Police

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Kilvinsky 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Once again, my campus is going through this as the Student Council demand an end to police aggression against blacks, queer, Asians blah blah. Only problem is there are NO verified cases, and the new college President, who is black, has told them to basically STF up and stop making up stories or bring up issues they’ve had with OUTSIDE agencies.

#5 ·
“In 1984, BU Police Sergeant Kevin Bourque shot and killed an unarmed 19-year-old named Christopher Dignan as Dignan was in a car. “

It’s filled with meaningless statistics like this taken out of context. Could we have some backstory to this 37 year old incident or is that too much to ask?

Bunch of liberal trash locked in their bubble of academia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
#11 ·
It's really quite sad that these young adults with little to no real life experience assimilate and promote with such fervor, the baseless propaganda of their leftist faculty. The biggest irony smack is that they are paying these institutions thousands to be indoctrinated, not educated. Perhaps even a worse evil than big Pharma or Cable news.

#12 ·
Look at the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Its the exact same thing. Foolish students and kids who have absolutely no life experience doing the bidding of some leaders who only seek to better themselves. It ends up going poorly for those leaders in China, lets hope it also happens here too, but with less destruction.

#15 · (Edited)
I distinctly recall the Sgt. Bourke incident and even kept the Herald pages covering the story. The Headline is EXTREMELY inflammatory- BU COP SHOOTS UNARMED TEEN. and THIS is the conservative voice of Boston? Fuck the Herald

BUt that aside, I find it amusing that they manage to come up with a few examples of bad behavior, most of which they apparently didn't really research in a time period covering DECADES.

Every campus is going through these childish tantrums and with extremely few exceptions, no changes are being made. Some colleges are kind of making their departments more 'user friendly' or 'kinder and gentler' but the bottom line, by and large, we ain't going anywhere. And honestly, far more students, faculty, staff, PARENTS and MONEY DONATING ALUM, are in favor of us, than against us. These whiney snot noses who long for the days of 1960s activism are very much in the minority, and not a minority that can claim discrimination, just immaturity. Lets just ride it out, smile and say, "Thank you, Sir, may I have another?" then walk away giggling.

#17 ·
I have one thing to add that I forgot to put in last night. At my previous job, when that incident happened, I had a Sgt. who lived and grew up in Savin Hill where Mr. Dignan was from. We discussed the incident and the Sgt. (who passed away several years ago himself) was pretty clear that very few in the neighborhood would miss the punk. He made it clear that Dignan was no damn good and his fate was inevitable. I couldn't feel bad for the criminal, but I definitely felt bad for Bourque whom I had actually met. He was also working as a Boston School Cop at the same time during the day. Hard working and good guy. Where he is now, I have no idea, but if he's still with us, I hope and pray he's well.

#18 ·
I'm sure he went through Hell and in all the articles I looked at the worst thing they could come up with was something about a suspended license because of a mix up with an excise tax bill. Having almost had the same problem for the same reason myself I can't pass any judgement on that. What I find interesting from a research standpoint is that my search of the Globe shows nothing about Sgt Bourque from April 1985 when they publish a story about the family losing their appeal and Dec 1987 when he responded to an apartment fire and nothing after that. Meanwhile there was a story in August 1985 in newspapers across the country about campus security becoming campus police mentioning the case, his being cleared of wrongdoing and the family's $33 million lawsuit. I only skimmed it, but I'll attach it for your reading pleasure.

Attachments

#20 ·
I once worked with Kevin. He was a good sergeant and decent man.

A long time ago, I was permitted to read the report of the district court inquest conducted in Dignan's death. (The inquest itself was something that likely would not have happened for a Boston or State Police officer under the same circumstances.) Kevin was in a tow yard or used car lot (or something along those lines) when Dignan drove at him. Kevin had to leap up onto and roll over the parked car he was next to in order to escape being pinned against it by Dignan's car. Not surprisingly, he was shooting at the same time to protect himself. The inquest found no cause to charge the homicide as any sort of crime.

The summary of that incident provided by the Free Press is truly despicable.

Who knows how the legal proceedings would play out nowadays. I am not an alarmist generally about police reform, but the POST/MPTC rules on shooting at or into a vehicle are nearly as long as the dense thicket of federal regulations a mortgage lender must cut through to give a home owner a loan. An officer who shoots at or into a car tonight in Massachusetts will have his or her hands full justifying that action to POST.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.