Brown: Allow Women Into Combat Units | MassCops

Brown: Allow Women Into Combat Units

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Feb 22, 2012.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

BOSTON -- U.S. Sen. Scott Brown is urging top defense officials to let women serve in front line combat, saying barring women from those units could make it harder for them to rise up the military ranks.

The Massachusetts Republican urged U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to adopt the changes in a letter Wednesday.

Brown, a 32-year member of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, praised Panetta for creating more opportunities to women in uniform by allowing them to serve closer to the front lines.

But Brown said the changes don't go far enough.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/politics/30517753/detail.html#ixzz1n8qUs4Uc

2. corsair

corsair Guest

This should be interesting. If they are willing to serve in front line units,are ready to put their lives on the line for their Country and meet the requirements, go right ahead.

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

As I've mentioned in threads, are the United States Armed Forces the best in the world without allowing females into front-line combat units?

Yes.

Would their combat efficiency be enhanced by allowing females into front line combat units?

No.

Sorry ladies, I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but I was too tall and my eyesight sucked. We shouldn't be tampering with brilliant success to avoid offending some women who have dreams of G.I Jane (the most unrealistic movie ever made) in their heads.

4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a study done that showed/proved that men who witnessed the death of a female in combat became less combat effective, and somewhat emotionally compromised? I swear I read something like this. It was a psychological issue, pertaining to men's inherent instinct to protect the fairer sex.

JMody, USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  5. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Israel allows women in their combat units and I doubt they have suffered as a part of it.

mpd61 likes this.
  6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I've never read that, but it makes perfect sense.

They do that out of necessity....every Israeli 18 and older is either active duty or reserve military until the age of (I believe) 45 or 50.

We have no such need.

7. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention fraternization morale issues, and "surprise" pregnancies in combat zones. I can see specialized roles where women might add skill sets in certain missions, but front line trigger pullers? Nah, more harm than good. Sorry, it's about the mission as a whole, not appeasing your self-esteem issues.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  8. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Yes but it was only Recent "2000" that woman could serve in actual combat roles such as Infantry, Special Ops, Dive team, and fighter Pilots and Tank drivers

9. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

This whole debate is antiquated, IMO. There are no more "front line" units because there are no more "lines". At the height of the Iraq War, females are dying in combat all the time, particuarly those in combat support roles like Truck Drivers and MP's.

Should women not serve in MP units becuase if they get killed their male team members may be less effective? I've seen no evidence of it, and if there were, I think we would have.

I think the change is enivitable and should be instituted on the military's own terms. Practically speaking, I doubt there will be a huge contingent of females jonesing to go 11B. And if they do, make the standards the same as men--if they are truly not strong enough mentally or physically, they should properly wash out in training just like any other guy.

It's the last part, the implementation, where I lack confidence in the military and Congress to do it the right way. Nonetheless, I don't know that it makes sense to throw out the baby with the bath water.

mpd61, Killjoy and corsair like this.
  10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We had several females get sent home pregnant (most of whom had stateside abortions) once they figured out it wasn't as fun or glamorous as they thought it would be.

11. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Make them have the same standards as men.

If and when they can perform at the same level than let them do whatever they want. Until that time stfu ladies.

USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

A good start, but that doesn't address the fraternization and morale issues that would arise as surely as the sun will rise this morning.

13. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

What about the fraternization between men on the front lines? I mean, let's face it, gays are serving on the front lines now and what would happen if you're out there with your "boyfriend" and you see him get shot?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Marines (either in whole or in part) require both men and women to achieve the same PT standards, along with all other training requirements. They should adopt that policy across the board to any "front line" type unit. And to add to that, they should do a weight lifting test. If a man or a woman were to get injured near me, I would physically be able to get them out of harms way, and I would want a woman to be able to do the same.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'm also against open homosexuals serving in the armed forces, so at least I'm consistent.

You're wrong....female Marines don't have to do pull-ups, and are given extra time on the 3-mile run.

When I was at MP School at Fort McClellan, we had a platoon of females. When it came time for the pre-graduation 25-mile forced march with full pack, weapon, and helmet, they led the way, since they were the 1st platoon. As the march went on, we (male platoons) started to pass the female stragglers as they were being treated for exhaustion and/or dehydration along the march route. By the 15 mile mark, the deuce and a halfs started to pass us with the females loaded into the back. I think maybe 2 or 3 of the females actually made the entire forced march, while about 99% of the males did.

15. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Hmm...interesting. I suppose I misunderstood a couple Marines I talked to in Afghanistan last year. I thought they said that some units required equal standards. Oh well, I stand corrected!

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

17. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Foxy85 likes this.
  18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

When I was considering enlisting, I spoke to all the recruiters, and collected all the propaganda (literature). The Air Force brochure described each week of basic training, as far as what happened, and each week's description ended with a variation of the same sentence;

"And you still haven't been issued a rucksack!" :confused:

JamnJim18 likes this.
  19. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

THe Air Forces idea of a bivoac is domestic beer at a Motel 6:D

Delta784, USMCMP5811 and LGriffin like this.
  20. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Don't forget, Air Force women more closely resemble the butt crunching hotties you have for a tagline photo. :cool:

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  21. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Oh I remember what Air Force wimmins look like:D
    ......and what most Army broads look like:confused:

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  22. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

23. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

I think Hummers have and always will improve morale. :p

pahapoika and DYSguy like this.
  24. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

3 push-ups and you're in?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

25. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Oh com'on! It was 5 pushups and a timed run from the livingroom to the kitchen and back.

Foxy85, TRPDiesel, Hush and 3 others like this.