BREAKING NEWS: SNIPERS OPEN FIRE ON DALLAS POLICE, KILLING AT LEAST 4 COPS AND WOUNDING AS MANY AS 7 | Page 2 | MassCops

BREAKING NEWS: SNIPERS OPEN FIRE ON DALLAS POLICE, KILLING AT LEAST 4 COPS AND WOUNDING AS MANY AS 7

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Jul 8, 2016.

1. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Did the MPTC " patrol rifle " course for part-time officers and was a two-day course. Don't know how many rounds we spent but it was fun and cheap too ! :cool:

2. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

I am sure they can call Northeastern University police. Even though BPD higher ups had a big stink over them getting rifles.

pahapoika likes this.
  3. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

My department puts on our own 40-hour rifle school. It's free to all of our officers. In fact, they get paid to attend it.

zm88, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wow, a large city that sees the benefits in ensuring their officers have superior firepower, regardless of the public's opinion of those scary black rifles?

Must be a west coast thing.

LawMan3, Goose, FTH and 1 other person like this.
  5. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

My university PD tried to get patrol rifles for years with no support from the administration. Last year we got a new president who came from the California university system and he not only supported us getting the rifles, he spoke at the board of trustees meeting on our behalf telling them that it was the right thing to do. It must be a west coast thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose, Chitownlost and pahapoika like this.
  6. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Geez, we've had patrol rifles since 2007. We just upgraded the light/lasers and got new slings this month. Plus, personal rifles are authorized so around half the officers just carry their own.

Which usually have everything on them short of a grenade launcher....

zm88, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  7. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

It took an almost tragedy (North Hollywood Bank robbery) for us to get them, but we've had them since 1998. At first, only officers were allowed to carry them so when I made sergeant in 2000, I had to give mine up. Now, with the advent of ISIS, our department wants as many of our personnel as possible to have them so even supervisors are allowed to attend the school. We are currently sending people through the 40-hour class every month.

I spoke to the supervisor in-charge of the class recently (who also happens to be a fellow Bostonian) and he told me that he and one of his officers went back to Boston several years ago and taught a number of Boston PD's shooting staff our version of rifle school. As you all know, Mayor Menino told them no. Sorry about that.

LAPD officers who have been trained on these weapon systems and who work Patrol, carry the M-16 or M-4, a slug shotgun, a bean bag shotgun, and a Taser. Always ready!

zm88, Goose, Pvt. Cowboy and 3 others like this.
  8. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Some PDs can't even get a semi-auto rifle in their cars...and you guys are rocking the fun switches. I'm jealous.

pahapoika likes this.
  9. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

It is funny to see some sleepy suburb 20 miles south of the city with the AR and a shotgun !
    But old Marty's too worried about scaring the libs :rolleyes:

Goose, Pvt. Cowboy and niteowl1970 like this.
  10. wrangler

wrangler MassCops Member

Have to say the Dallas police chief was bad ass sending in a bomb to blow up that bitch. Had A Charles Bronson feel to it..

pahapoika and zm88 like this.
  11. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

12. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

There should be changes. I don't care if it hurts the protesters delicate feelings. The officers at the protests should be in full gear. If nothing bad happens; then, it should demonstrate that just because they may look intimidating doesn't mean they are. If something does happen; then, they still have a fighting chance of getting home to their families at the end of the night.

FTH, Goose and Tuna like this.
  13. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Law Enforcement Today
    22 mins·
    Dallas Officers Slain by Sniper Fire Will be Laid to Rest ThisWeek

At least four of the five Dallas officers killed by sniper fire Thursday will be laid to rest this week, authorities said Monday.

"It's gonna be the most challenging thing in my life," Dallas Police Chief David Brown said of the funerals at a Monday news conference.

"I don't know how I'm gonna get through the week," he said, adding, "We can hopefully get past this with God's good grace."

Below are the latest funeral details for the shooting's five victims, as well as the investigation's latest updates.

Lorne Ahrens
    A funeral will be held for Ahrens, 48, on Wednesday at 11 a.m. local time at the Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, preceded by a Tuesday night visitation from 5-9 p.m., Dallas police said.
    Ahrens will be buried at the Restland Public Safety Memorial Gardens in Dallas.

A 14-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department, Senior Cpl. Ahrens was described by one colleague as a "salt-of-the-Earth type."
    He was deeply religious and loved guitar-driven rock music, the colleague, who wanted to remain anonymous, said. He'd previously served 10 years with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, a spokesman said.
    Ahrens is survived by his wife, Katrina, a detective with Dallas PD, and two young children, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Officer Michael Krol

Arrangements for Krol, 40, are still pending, according to police.
    An eight-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department, Krol was a kindhearted, selfless and quiet man, his brother-in-law, Brian Schoenbaechler, told PEOPLE.

Krol's lifelong goal was to be a street cop, Schoenbaechler said. He was previously a corrections officer in Michigan, but he moved more than 1,000 miles to the Dallas area to fulfill his goal.

Officer Michael Smith

A funeral will be held for Smith, 56, on Thursday at noon at the Watermark Church in Dallas, police said. A visitation will be held from 6-9 p.m. Tuesday at Mary Immaculate Catholic church in Farmers Branch.

Smith will be buried at the Restland Public Safety Memorial Gardens in Dallas.
    A 28-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department, Sgt. Smith was previously an Army Ranger, according to local media reports.

He is survived by a wife of 17 years and two daughters, according to a GoFundMe page set up for the family.

On Sunday, the organizer wrote of Smith's family: "They are humbled by the show of prayers, love, support and encouragement that you have provided to their family.

"Nothing can ever replace the loss of Mike. They miss him terribly and are having difficulty dealing with his passing at this time. The only thing they can do at this point is have faith that God has walked them down this path for a greater reason."

Officer Brent Thompson

A funeral will be held for Thompson, 43, on Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Potter's House Church in Dallas, police said. A visitation will be held Tuesday from noon-9 p.m. at the Griffin-Roughton Funeral Home in Corsicana.
    Thompson will be buried at the family's cemetery in Drayton.

An officer with the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) police, Thompson was a newlywed, his police chief told Today.

Prior to his service with DART, Thompson worked as an international police liaison, training police in Afghanistan and Iraq, according to his LinkedIn profile.

"This is very heartbreaking for us, not only because of that reason, but because we lost a member in blue," DART Chief James Spiller told Today.
    He added, "Brent was a great officer and he will definitely be missed."
    Officer Patrick Zamarripa

Arrangements for Zamarripa, 32, are still pending, according to Dallas police.
    Friend and high school classmate Amina Barclay tells PEOPLE Zamarripa was a "huge sports fanatic" who "loved, loved, loved being a cop."

"Not power trip-like, but he truly did like helping people," Barclay says. "He felt like he was doing important work. The sad thing is that he was so accepting. He had friends of every race: black, white, Asian, Hispanic.
    "He wasn't a prejudiced person. He believed that everybody deserved a chance in life."

Zamarripa's girlfriend, Kristy Villasenor, wrote on Facebook Friday about the loss her family has suffered. Zamarripa is also survived by his young daughter and Villasenor's son from a previous relationship.

"This is something I never thought could ever happen to us. We were not done spending our lives together," Villasenor wrote. "Because of this disgusting display of hate, my daughter will not have her daddy to walk her down the aisle and my son will not have his 'best buddy' to play football and baseball with."

A Navy veteran who served three tours in Iraq before joining Dallas police, Zamarripa will be buried Saturday at the Dallas-Forth Worth National Cemetery, a spokeswoman confirms.

Nine Officers Injured In Shooting,Chief Says
    Speaking at Monday's news conference, Chief Brown said that nine officers were injured in the sniper attack, two more than had previously been announced. (Two civilians were also injured.)

Of the officers injured, four were from the Dallas Police Department, two were DART officers and two were with the Dallas Community College District, he said.
    Brown said that 13 officers used force against shooting suspect Micah Johnson: 11 officers used firearms and two used explosive devices.
    He said there is 170 hours of body camera footage that police will review.
    He also said he has no regrets about the "bomb robot" used to kill Johnson, after what he called a long standoff, because Johnson had spoken at the scene about killing officers and wanted to kill more.

"This wasn't an ethical dilemma for me, I'd do it again," Brown said.
    Brown said his department has made significant reforms over the past several years and that crime and excessive force by officers rates are at a 40 to 50-year low.
    "This is the best department in this country," he said.
    "This tragic incident will not discourage us from ... changing and reforming policing in America," he added.

Of the tensions among police and the black community, Brown, who is black, said, "Leaders in my position need to make sure we do things right."
    Without taking sides in the gun debate, he called on elected officials to use their policymaking power to stop gun violence: "Do your job, we're doing ours," he said.

He said that he and his family received a death threat shortly after the shooting from a private Facebook account on the Dallas Police Department Facebook page.

"We're all on edge; we are. And we're being very careful," Brown said.
    He also spoke of the intense psychological demands of being an officer, and said he was considering mandating counseling for officers. "I'm at the point of making a tough decision about mandating some of it," he said. "We want to be Superman and Superwoman and we're not."

He added, "I don't want that on my conscience that someone needs help and they're too proud to ask."

http://www.people.com/…/dallas-shooting-funeral-plans-offic…

[​IMG]
    Dallas Officers Slain by Sniper Fire Will be Laid to Rest This Week, As Injury Toll Rises from 9...
    "I don't know how I'm gonna get through this week," Dallas Police Chief David Brown
    PEOPLE.COM