Breaking News: LA SWAT Officer Dead In Standoff | Page 2 | MassCops

Breaking News: LA SWAT Officer Dead In Standoff

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by Inspector, Feb 7, 2008.

1. PaulKersey

PaulKersey New Member

Thanks LA.

Hopefully, technology of the future will allow for light weight, comfortable, and effective face protection for tactical teams.

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

LAPD Officer Tony Chang picks up a take-out order at a Burger King restaurant next to a fundraising display for fallen SWAT Officer Randy Simmons. Simmons was fatally shot during a raid at a San Fernando Valley home. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)

By Thomas Watkins
    The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Members of the thin blue line lined up by the hundreds today, waiting outside a fast-food restaurant to buy burgers in remembrance of a slain SWAT officer.

The day's proceeds would go to the family of Officer Randal Simmons, who was gunned down in a house raid last week, becoming the first SWAT officer to die in the line of duty since the elite Los Angeles Police Department unit was formed in 1967.

Simmons' partner, Officer James Veenstra, was wounded in the jaw during the confrontation in which five people were killed. Veenstra, 51, was released from a hospital Monday.

Los Angeles Police Department bomb squad technicians, canine handlers, patrol captains and plainclothes detectives were among those in the jumbo line, which by lunchtime snaked out the back of a downtown Burger King restaurant and down the length of a city block.

The officers, as well as members of the public and law enforcers from other agencies, all turned out.

Restaurant co-owner Ralph Cimmarusti estimated he would sell as many as 40,000 patties, raising about $100,000 in sales and donations for the Simmons family. The store typically sells about 1,000 burgers a day.

"We owe it to the LAPD family," Cimmarusti said. The store donated staff time and the cost of the food.

It took about an hour for some in line to reach the counter. Capt. Lance Smith, who attended college in Washington state with Simmons in the 1970s, was among those who waited patiently for a Whopper. He said the department was still reeling from news of Simmons' death.

"You just don't expect it to happen to some," Smith said. "You had no vision of him ever being killed. He was superhuman."

Simmons died Thursday when he entered the home of Edwin Rivera, 20, who had called police to report that he had killed his father and two brothers. The standoff ended when a police sniper killed Rivera.

Simmons, 51, was a 20-year SWAT veteran and one of the unit's most senior members. He was known to fellow officers as "the rock" and was involved in church outreach programs including mentoring children.

His funeral is scheduled Friday.
    [​IMG]Wire Service

3. PaulKersey

PaulKersey New Member

I hope that's for the prisoners. :eek:

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Los Angeles Officer Shot in Face Released from Hospital

LOS ANGELES --
    A Los Angeles police officer shot in the face as he and his partner stormed a Winnetka home where a killer was holed up was released from a hospital Wednesday.
    Officer James Veenstra was transferred from Northridge Hospital to County-USC Medical Center, the LAPD said Tuesday. He is now recovering at home, according to the LAPD.
    Veenstra, 51, was shot Feb. 6 when he and partner Randy Simmons entered a Winnetka home, where a young man had called police to report that he had killed his father and two brothers.
    Simmons was killed by a shot to the neck, becoming the first LAPD SWAT officer to die in the line of duty.
    Veenstra, who is a married to LAPD Capt. Michelle Veenstra, was shot in the jaw.
    "It's quite likely he will not require any additional surgeries to deal with his injuries," Chief William Bratton told the Police Commission early Tuesday.
    Both had been longtime SWAT officers assigned to the Metropolitan Division.
    The shooter, Edwin Rivera, a troubled 20-year-old with a police record and history of mental illness, died in the aftermath. All together, five people died.
    A funeral for Simmons will be held Friday at Crenshaw Christian Faith Dome.
    "I fully expect (Veenstra) may be in a position to attend the funeral on Friday," Bratton said, speaking at Tuesday's Police Commission hearing.
    At the start of the meeting, the five appointed commissioners praised Simmons' work in and out of the LAPD.
    "Rightfully so, the public is recognizing what a hero Randy Simmons was, not only in his professional life but in his personal life. Just a truly remarkable, extraordinary man," said Commissioner Alan Skobin. Commissioner John Mack called Simmons' death "an incredible loss in so many ways."
    Simmons, who lived in Rancho Palos Verdes, ran a youth ministry out of his church in Carson.
    "Words are almost inadequate at this point in time. Certainly, we as a commission certainly share with Bratton and the men and women of this department the deep sense of loss."
    Fundraiser Scheduled For Family Of Slain Officer
    A downtown Los Angeles Burger King restaurant will conduct a fundraiser Wednesday for the family of slain Los Angeles police Officer Randy Simmons, who was killed during a gunbattle with a gunman inside a Winnetka home.
    Simmons, who died early Thursday, was the first LAPD SWAT officer to be killed in the line of duty.
    In honor of the 51-year-old officer, Larry and Ralph Cimmarusti -- the owners of the Burger King at 700 W. Cesar Chavez Ave. -- will donate 100 percent of their sales proceeds for the day to Simmons' family.
    "We have a deep respect for the law enforcement community and the officers who put their lives on the line every day," Larry Cimmarusti said. "We feel it is our responsibility as members of this community to help these families and show our respect and gratitude for all they sacrifice."
    The Cimmarustis also encouraged other Los Angeles-area businesses to match the money raised at Burger King.
    "Officer Simmons was an outstanding member of our community," Ralph Cimmarusti said. "Anything we can do for his family, we need to do."
    A donations box will also be located at the restaurant during the day for people who want to make contributions. Checks should be made payable to "Blue Ribbon Trust Account -- Randy Simmons."
    The restaurant will be open from 6 a.m. to midnight. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he plans to stop by for breakfast.
    The Cimmarustis held a similar fundraiser in 2006 for the family of Officer Landon Dorris, 31, who was struck by a vehicle while outside his patrol car investigating an early morning crash at Riverside Drive and Hyperion Avenue. He died at County-USC Medical Center from major head injuries.

A viewing will be from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Holy Christian Fellowship International Church, 225 W. Torrance Blvd., Torrance. Funeral services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at Crenshaw Christian Faith Dome, 7901 S. Vermont Ave., with burial following at Holy Cross Cemetery, 5835 W. Slauson Ave., Culver City.

Story From: knbc.com

5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Good call! Actually, he's not a police officer, he's a detention officer, aka, a jailer.

The turnout was unbelievable! There were officers from all over Southern California here at this Burger King. It was pretty cool to see.

The funeral is Friday morning (Feb 15) at 1100 hours, west coast time. I believe the local news channels will be showing it live. If any of you folks want to have a look, check out either: kcal9.com or abc7.com

I'll be there. Also, from what I just heard, there are several Boston SWAT guys here too. I'll be looking for them.

6. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Went to the funeral today of a true hero. What a great man Officer Randy Simmons was. It's really a shame that good people have bad things happen to them.

There were 10,000 officers from all over the world there today. We had officers from Australia, Germany, Canada, lots of different states including Mass. I saw guys from Concord, Braintree and Chelmsford. It was an amazing day. If any of you want to have a look, click on the below link and check out a couple of local news reports.

I also spoke to my fellow Weymouth guy who is on our SWAT Team. He was in the stick that went in when Officer Simmons was killed. PaulKersey, the suspect was indeed armed with a .45 handgun and apparently knew how to use it. He also had a sawed off shotgun but I don't know yet if he fired it. He was hidden so well that when the officers did make entry, they didn't know where the fire was coming from.

abc7.com: Thousands expected to attend LAPD SWAT officer's funeral 2/15/08

7. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Wounded LA SWAT Officer Talks

A Los Angeles SWAT officer wounded in a shootout that killed his colleague said Friday it will be several more months before he recovers from his injury and was unsure when he'll return to the force.
    James Veenstra was greeted warmly by fellow Los Angeles police officers as he took questions from reporters for the first time since a bullet ripped through his jaw during a gunbattle Feb. 7 in the San Fernando Valley.
    Standing arm-in-arm with his wife, Michelle, Veenstra said he never lost consciousness during the shootout. He couldn't go into details about what happened because of the continuing investigation, but the 51-year-old said he's fortunate to be alive."You can train and train and train, but sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you," Veenstra said. "You can train, but sometimes it's not enough."Capt. Michelle Veenstra joined her husband at the news conference."I thought I'd lost Jim when I received the phone call," said Michelle Veenstra. "I thought my life had come to an end."Veenstra was among a group of officers who stormed a house after police received a 911 call from 19-year-old Edwin Rivera, who said he had killed his family. Randal Simmons, 51, was the first SWAT officer killed in the line of duty in the unit's 41-year-history.Rivera was killed by a sniper as he attempted to flee the house hours later. Inside the home, authorities found Rivera's two brothers Edgar, 21, and Endi, 25, and their father, Gerardo, 54.Veenstra didn't speak specifically about Rivera but said the recent spate of shooting in Los Angeles -- three officer-involved shootings over a 28-hour period this week -- is cause for concern."Something is in the water," he said. "People are behaving erratically."Veenstra said his jaw will be wired shut for a couple more months and then he will undergo reconstructive surgery. He was unsure when he would return to his job.Veenstra said he's keeping busy by reading cards and letters he's received at home. He said the shooting has brought him and his wife, a police captain, closer together."It makes you appreciate every single day," Michelle Veenstra said.
    KNBC

8. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....