Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have some insight on Brandeis Univ. PD? I know there were some old threads here, mostly negative. Anything change? Any additional insights?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to work there a few years back and still talk with some of my old buddies time to time. Well as far as I know they have had two LT's come and go under a year of being there. They still have a revolvind door for staff. Half of them do not have any police powers and the others do. They have one in the academy right know and that person will proberly leave to move on to a better dept. Although there union has a new president. The old guy was so old and crusty he did care about anyone but himslef. The new guy has his stuff together and will hopefully get some new things done. But the place will NEVER change. They don't carry guns, but the pay I understand is not half bad. But it is still a "cheezee" dept. to work for.

·
Registered
154 Posts
All the Brandeis bashing on this site cracks me up. I work at Brandeis and it is no different than alot of other colleges.Actually, it is better in some aspects. I am on pace to break 60k this year(my first year). I do not work hard at all. No campus police department will ever be good as a municipal police department in most areas with the exception of 1 or 2.

G

·
I used to work for Brandeis P.D, I work for a city now, all I have to say is you guy's bash Brandeis, but for half of you if it was not for the place were would you be now? Everyone has to start some where. I don't care where you work all campus policing will be the same, except for the gun issue. No school administrator wants their "great" students locked up I don't care if your at wentworth, n.u, b.u , bentley, or state college, you might roll up on more off campus situations, but it's all going to be the same, same acadamy,( new brantriee) which I had to go to the municipal acadamy, Brandeis has it';s down falls, but so does every campus. The pay is excellent now from what I hear, and have a great union president now, how may departments can say that. Brandeis gave me and half of you the expierence you needed to move on it taught me good things that helped me out that other guy's I work with don't have.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Acutally its not all the same just look at BSCPD or MCCPD. State schools ARE different, I have a few freinds who do more than I do in the town i'm in!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well all I know is every campus cop I know aspires to be a municipal or state cop one day. I would much rather make 60k a year at a small school like Brandeis than make 30-35k at another school that is full of guys who think they are troopers and are looking to ruin careers.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Wannabe1

If you want to be a lazy jerk and learn next to nothing then go make 60k a year at a place like Brandies. Have a fun time taking orders from non-police admin types who will ruin your career as a Police Officer when they fire your ass for acting like a cop. The "Wannabe Trooper" statement just shows how little you know about State College Police Officers.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
I've never worked @ Brandies so I won't comment on working conditions there. I've heard good and bad and I believe the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but I'll add that 60k is good $ for any campus police officer.

What I would like to point out the major difference between working for a state agency (university, college....) as a CPO vs. working for a private school. If someone is an aspiring municipal police officer (covered by the state pension fund), MSP trooper, or as a CO for DOC or some of the Sheriff's Offices, the time that the CPO who works for the state invests into the pension system carries over with them. This means that a CPO hired by a state school who is 21 works there for 10 years and then moves on to bigger and better things (with any of the examples above) will be eligible for retirement as if he was hired by the other agency when he was 21. Its really good deal because with so many CPO's waiting to get hired by their local PD, MSP, or as a CO it only makes sense to make that time count towards your retirement. Its just something to think about.

·
Subscribing Member
4,386 Posts
Yep, got my five years in the state transfered right over. I only have 20 years left to retirement. :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wannabe are you even a cop over there?
LOL. There are very few campuses where I consider the "Police" to be cops. Many schools have the label of "Police" but the reality is that the admin does not want you locking up the students. I know that most of the guys who talk trash on here about Brandeis are disgruntled ex Brandis employees who couldn't grasp the fact they are or where CAMPUS Police.

Posted Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:34:

Wannabe1

If you want to be a lazy jerk and learn next to nothing then go make 60k a year at a place like Brandies. Have a fun time taking orders from non-police admin types who will ruin your career as a Police Officer when they fire your ass for acting like a cop. The "Wannabe Trooper" statement just shows how little you know about State College Police Officers.
"Lazy Jerk" lol. I'll take being able to pay my rent more easily over working for less money just to have a gun and think that I am more of a cop.
"fire your ass for acting like a cop" Do you mean following the law and performing your jobs duties properly? I don't think that this would be wise for any employer no matter what your job is. If you act properly and get fired than that opens a lawsuit for wrongful termination. Unless you mean "acting like a cop" as running around campus and making bullsh*t arrests on and off of the schools property pissing off the local P.D. because they have to hold your big class D arrests(Off campus arrests where you have no jurisdiction is just one example of what will will ruin your career).This happens ALOT at alot of CAMPUS police depts.
BTW: I like how you assume that I was talking about state college police officers. I never labeled one type of campus police. Guilty conscience? Also, when you quote somebody, try to get the quote right. I never said "Wannabe troopers" I think you confused my screen name with part of my quote. I don't believe all campus police departments are filled with people with this mindset, just some.(which is why I like working at Brandeis. It is filled with good people on the roster) Sorry that you took offense.I hope that your assumptions and your misquotes don't make their way into your "police" reports.

Posted Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:53:

I've never worked @ Brandies so I won't comment on working conditions there. I've heard good and bad and I believe the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but I'll add that 60k is good $ for any campus police officer.

What I would like to point out the major difference between working for a state agency (university, college....) as a CPO vs. working for a private school. If someone is an aspiring municipal police officer (covered by the state pension fund), MSP trooper, or as a CO for DOC or some of the Sheriff's Offices, the time that the CPO who works for the state invests into the pension system carries over with them. This means that a CPO hired by a state school who is 21 works there for 10 years and then moves on to bigger and better things (with any of the examples above) will be eligible for retirement as if he was hired by the other agency when he was 21. Its really good deal because with so many CPO's waiting to get hired by their local PD, MSP, or as a CO it only makes sense to make that time count towards your retirement. Its just something to think about.
Irishpride,
This is a good post. I agree with you 100%. State Colleges are better for the retirement purposes. I, like every other Campus guy I know, aspire to be a municipal or state cop one day. Therefore, beny-wise a state college would better but pay-wise I can't say that would be better.(depends on the school)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Wannabe1 @ 11 Aug 2004 02:51 said:
LOL. There are very few campuses where I consider the "Police" to be cops. Many schools have the label of "Police" but the reality is that the admin does not want you locking up the students. I know that most of the guys who talk trash on here about Brandeis are disgruntled ex Brandis employees who couldn't grasp the fact they are or where CAMPUS Police.

Interesting you won't answer the question. You do however clearly state most POLICE @ campuses are not "cops". You then chose to emphasize the word CAMPUS over police when referring to Brandeis. Sounds more like you're "disgruntled"

Wannabe1

"Lazy Jerk" lol. I'll take being able to pay my rent more easily over working for less money just to have a gun and think that I am more of a cop.

"fSounds a little bit inflammatory

Unless you mean "acting like a cop" as running around campus and making bullsh*t arrests on and off of the schools property pissing off the local P.D. because they have to hold your big class D arrests(Off campus arrests where you have no jurisdiction is just one example of what will will ruin your career).This happens ALOT at alot of CAMPUS police depts.

Sounds like fodder for an expose! Again that emphasis on CAMPUS before police. hmmm.

BTW: I like how you assume that I was talking about state college police officers. I never labeled one type of campus police. Guilty conscience? Also, when you quote somebody, try to get the quote right. I never said "Wannabe troopers" I think you confused my screen name with part of my quote. I don't believe all campus police departments are filled with people with this mindset, just some.(which is why I like working at Brandeis. It is filled with good people on the roster) Sorry that you took offense.I hope that your assumptions and your misquotes don't make their way into your "police" reports.

O.K. buddy. You're backpeddling! You did state "most" when referring to Campus Police agencies. And nice way to try and shit on somebody with your cynical, critical, and subjective comments about "assumptions and misquotes on "police" reports."

Bottom line is you are happy at Brandeis making good $$$. Just don't sling mud on other Campus POLICE officers who are happy doing MORE than you DO for LESS$$$.
:lol:

)

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
mpd61 @ 15 Aug 2004 18:23 said:
Bottom line is you are happy at Brandeis making good $$$. Just don't sling mud on other Campus POLICE officers who are happy doing MORE than you DO for LESS$$$.
I don't think that he is "slinging mud" on anyone. If you look back, this post was started by people sh*ting on Brandeis.

Posted 15 Aug 2004 19:49:

Wannabe1 @ 11 Aug 2004 07:51 said:
[(Off campus arrests where you have no jurisdiction is just one example of what will will ruin your career).This happens ALOT at alot of CAMPUS police depts.
I agree. I used to work for a college in the back bay area whose officers would do this all the time. They would go off property and look for trouble. It was a liability waiting to happen. That was the main reason I left there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wannabe1 @ 11 Aug 2004 02:51 said:

Interesting you won't answer the question. You do however clearly state most POLICE @ campuses are not "cops". You then chose to emphasize the word CAMPUS over police when referring to Brandeis. Sounds more like you're "disgruntled"

Wannabe1

"fSounds a little bit inflammatory

Unless you mean "acting like a cop" as running around campus and making bullsh*t arrests on and off of the schools property pissing off the local P.D. because they have to hold your big class D arrests(Off campus arrests where you have no jurisdiction is just one example of what will will ruin your career).This happens ALOT at alot of CAMPUS police depts.

Sounds like fodder for an expose! Again that emphasis on CAMPUS before police. hmmm.

O.K. buddy. You're backpeddling! You did state "most" when referring to Campus Police agencies. And nice way to try and shit on somebody with your cynical, critical, and subjective comments about "assumptions and misquotes on "police" reports."

:lol:

)
1.) I would emphasize CAMPUS before police when talking about ANY school.
2.) I would think "lazy jerk" is inflamtory.
3.) I am happier making more to do less.
4.) I am far from disgruntled with Brandeis. Brandeis is a great job.The only thing I am disgruntled about is the hiring process to become a cop in this state
5.) Lets not forget how this thread was started.

·
Registered
175 Posts
YOU are the reason why Campus Law Enforcement is the way it is WANNABE. To me making more doing less is a simple way of saying "yeah I'm lazy."

It's okay if you want to be "Campus Patrol" just don't come to a University and Campus Police forum and talk your Security/IPO non-sense. Especially to my Sergeant :lol:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.