Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

Remember this? It's due to expire this year right? What are the provisions of such an expiration? Will we see High-cap mags and flash suppressors and bayonet lugs again?
8)

Thanks to JoeB for asking me earlier

·
Registered
157 Posts
BB

I would love to see this crap fall off the books. From what I hear it's supposed to "expire?" in 2004 if it hasn't shown itself to significantly reduce violent crime, if anyone has any insight to this please post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Brady Law

I beleve that even if the law falls off the books on sunset on Sept. 14th 2004, The New Hi Cap mags will still be illegal in Mass because of the Gun Control Act of 1998. But for L.E. you will still be able to have them for offical duty. You know how this anti gun state is 10 bullets is ok to carry in a magazine but not 15 because is to evil.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Re: Brady Law

eglock72 said:
I beleve that even if the law falls off the books on sunset on Sept. 14th 2004, The New Hi Cap mags will still be illegal in Mass because of the Gun Control Act of 1998. But for L.E. you will still be able to have them for offical duty. You know how this anti gun state is 10 bullets is ok to carry in a magazine but not 15 because is to evil.
I don't believe that the MA gun control act of 1998 has anything to do with high cap mags. But even if it does, after the law falls off the books, what is going to stop someone from going to NH and buying a few high cap glock mags and using them?

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The day the Brady Bill falls off the face of the earth will be a great day in history!!! The only thing that had caused any crime reduction has been the approval of "right to carry" laws in many states over the last ten years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Last night on ABC's 20/20, John Stossel ran the show titled, Lies, Myths, and Downright Stupidity. One of the segments was regarding tougher/more restrictive gun legislation. He brought out some good points in favor of getting rid of many of the restrictive laws. He profiled how the states with "Right to Carry" laws have infact less violent crime. They even had a snippet from the Rev Al Shi#bag claiming it would be like the wild west if everyone carried guns. He came back with stats that proved otherwise. He interviewed five prisoners in New Jersey who confirmed that they didn't give a $h&t what the gun laws where. They were going to carry a gun if it were legal or not. They would buy them or steal them. It didn't matter to them what the government thought was legal or illegal. What they were afraid of was....ORDINARY CITIZENS carrying guns. Two of them admitted that they were afraid to try and rob someone they didn't know because they could be carrying a gun to defend themselves.
It was about a ten minute segment. It was excellent and what I couldn't believe was that it was coming from a mainstream media source like ABC News. They even flaunted Clinton signing the Brady Bill and him challenging anyone to tell him that this bill won't reduce crime. 20/20 did it in almost a mocking fashion. It was great!
I only hope this can change enough minds (which I doubt) to maybe get those on the fence over to see the light.

http://boards.abcnews.go.com/cgi/abcnews/request.dll?LIST&room=bz_debunking&start=-1&direction=next

Check out the link and you can see down at the bottom some of the feedback from some of the topics.

G

·
I think this came in another forum as well, but I ask the question and would like to see the stats of Right to Carry states as opposed to states like MA.

It just seems to make more sense that if every one was allowed to carry there would be less crime, in my opinon the criminal would think twice about robbing the average joe knowing the possability of be shot was pretty high. Most criminals are nothing but cowards and prey on the week and defensless. So it just seems to me it may make more sense, but then again I dont know the stats so I could be talking out of my ass here, but its just my opinon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
cc

msp357 said:
Last night on ABC's 20/20, John Stossel ran the show titled, Lies, Myths, and Downright Stupidity. One of the segments was regarding tougher/more restrictive gun legislation. He brought out some good points in favor of getting rid of many of the restrictive laws. He profiled how the states with "Right to Carry" laws have infact less violent crime.
I saw the same piece, I too was shocked (pleasantly) that mainstream media would admit that gun legislation just simply doesn't work.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I am not sure but didn't the Brady Law require a person who was purchasing a firearm have to go through a 7day waiting period??? I have bought three firearms and never had to wait. I walked in and carried them out the same day. I don't know maybe my status of being a police officer was a factor for not having to wait or it was my nice warm personality.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I believe the waiting periods do not apply to states that require gun permits, because a background check has already been conducted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts