Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a forum on thebostonchannel.com about the strike. Someone said that the average Boston police officer makes $72,000/year. Is that true, does anyone know? It seems quite high to me...

Posted Tue June 29, 2004 3:12 pm:

By the way, here's the link if any of you are interested in reading it. A lot of these people are real a**holes.

http://forums.ibsys.com/viewmessages.cfm?sitekey=bos&Forum=6&Topic=10469

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
I doubt Boston PD makes $72,000 base pay. "Average" pay probabally includes details and overtime. What the media neglects to mention is that most cops work 20+ hours OVER their normal 40 hour work week. I would guess that base pay would be in the $35,000 to $40,000 range.

Also what you dont hear in the media is that Boston PD has not had a raise in 5 years. The last 3 years they had no contract. The 2 years prior, they took 0% raises.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I was figuring. Some people just have no idea what they're talking about! And they're rude about it!

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Base pay maxes out at about 52k.

Sargeants make about 72k base, LT's about 85k.

The average is about 72k for a patrolman, but they factor in those who get the quinn bill money. To get to the average of 72k without the quinn bill, your work week would be about 60+ hours a week, with details and any available overtime.

G

·
as a boston cop i havnt seen $72,000 yet and i probably wont. in order for me to make that kind of money id have to go and get a degree at a cost of at least $25.000 and about 6 years, on top of that i would have to work three times the my normal overtime and details a week just to pay for it. so to me it is not worth the hassle of not being able to spend time with my kids. so i guess the media forgot about me and the rest of the cops that fall into the catagory with me. unless you are single and have no children you most likley not going to see that kind of money

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Not sure what that was all about, but....

I am a Boston Cop, and I echo bigfatjoe's comment. There is money to be made, but most of us have no desire to disappear from home for days on end doing road jobs.

BTW, at 26 bucks an hour, we are about the lowest paid as far as detail rates.

·
1,952 Posts
Should be noted, technical however a big difference, no officer's are striking as they wouldn't be officers anymore if they did... They are picketing and protesting

·
Registered
186 Posts
In 1919 the Boston Police went on strike and gave Calvin Coolidge the chance for national exposure and it helped make him President. This year BPD will again help elect a President of the United States...GEORGE W. BUSH

·
1,952 Posts
It also created the explosion of Unions down the century... man I am learning all sorts of stuff today... and it's only Monday!!

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
Is there anyone else here who have had enough of this??? Granted this whole mess should have been settled a long time ago. But since it hasn't, now is not the time to be playing Russian Roulette with everyone involved in the DNC..and I'm talking about Police etc. and not the politicians. No one knows what may or may not happen next week for sure...but your attention needs to be focused on the task at hand...and not on your contract or lack thereof. :2c:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.