Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
FWIW I heard last week from an instructor that it's only half-full so far and has likely been pushed back at least two weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've applied to Boylston as a self-sponsor....doubt I'll get in though, considering this is the 5th academy I've applied to since august, and so far I haven't gotten into one....

·
Registered
156 Posts
EchoUnit";p="54245 said:
I've applied to Boylston as a self-sponsor....doubt I'll get in though, considering this is the 5th academy I've applied to since august, and so far I haven't gotten into one....
I'm curious, did you apply to the last recruit academy in Agawam? They were put on float status, you would think at that point they would take in some self-sponsors. Who knows, but right before the last Boylston recruit class started one of the DT guys mentioned how this was going to be the first academy in a while that was filled with experienced part timers or something to that effect. Would lead me to believe that they usually have a few self sponsors attend.

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
We got four going to Boylston, still waiting for the date.I did hear that the list is out on who is attending this class.

·
Registered
68 Posts
EOD why discouraged? I'm on the "waiting list" for boylston, but they want me to attend the orientation. so im not even in yet.

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
The list is kept in the bottom of a Dunkin Dounut box. The list has a few coffee stains on it, but still legible. The problem is, no one knows where the box is right now. But if you call Lynda at MPTC or Boylston they can let you know if you have been accepted or not. The best bet is to check with your department. don't forget to ask about the dounut box.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
FYI for those waiting for Boylston...I got a call from Howard Lebowitz today on behalf of Linda Kearns. The three candidates we had slated for the academy have been removed from the list. They are only taking people with F.T. appointments. No part-timers, and the jury is out whether or not part-timers will be permitted to full-time academies in the future. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I'll keep the board posted if there are any new developments.

A bit of advice for those of you trying to break in...HEAD SOUTH. Until the over-abundance of academy graduates without jobs dries up, it is highly doubtful that a non-civil service town will pick you up. As far a civil service goes, don't hold your breath, scoring a 100% doesn't even guarantee you a job.

Years ago, you needed to be hired by a department full-time to go to the F.T. academy. The MCJTC was trying to do a good thing by letting P.T. officers get sponsored to attend the academy, but I think the good gesture back-fired. Now there are tons of people out there with the academy and no job. This prohibits local chiefs from hiring who they want if they don't have the academy. Selectmen do not want to appoint someone they have to pay for six months in the academy when there are trained people available to start working tomorrow. For what its worth, don't give up. Head south while you're young and single. Get an academy and some experience, enjoy the beach for a couple of years, then head back home if MA is really where you want to be

But once again...what do I know ? 8)

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
Well Chief, good points. However, I do believe Taunton is the only community in the state that will hire non-academy folks. They have people on their list(s) that are academy trained, ready to go, but alas would prefer to send folks to the academy; in Boylston no less. That's the other side of this civil service, mickey mouse coin that I will never understand. :roll:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts