Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AMELIA KUNHARDT/The Patriot Ledger
Acting Police Chief Michael Botieri, photographed in his office at police headquarters.

By Tamara Race
The Patriot Ledger
Posted Nov 18, 2008 @ 06:11 AM
Last update Nov 18, 2008 @ 10:06 AM

PLYMOUTH -

The town's new police chief is a familiar face in the department.
Former Capt. Michael Botieri, 49, who has served as acting chief since August when former Chief Robert Pomeroy retired, will lead the department after his swearing in tonight.
Town Manager Mark Sylvia announced the appointment late Monday.
He said Botieri's experience, education and performance in the position since August prompted the choice despite Botieri's second-place finish on the Civil Service assessment test give this summer.
Lt. Bruce McNamee, 39, was the top scorer on the test. He has fewer years on the job and less supervisory experience than Botieri.
"As acting chief, Botieri has demonstrated that he possesses strong administrative management, budgetary and decision-making skills," Sylvia said in announcing the appointment. "He has proven that he can successfully manage the operations of the department from day one."
Sylvia said the assessment test is an important guide for selecting a chief, but he also had to consider the experience and education of the candidates.
Sylvia says the depth of good candidates means quality leadership in the future.
"I appreciate the confidence and support from the town manager and the selectmen," Botieri said. "I'm ready for the challenge and will be talking with the town manager in the near future about my ideas for changes in the department and ways to move it forward."
For most of his career, Botieri has been the public face of the department while Pomeroy handled the management end.
Botieri says he hopes to be accessible to the public as much as possible.

http://www.patriotledger.com/homepage/x1834493281/Botieri-gets-nod-for-Plymouth-police-chief

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I must be getting old to acknowledge that a friend is now a Captain. Congrats Bruce

Boats

McNamee, Rogers appointed police captain

Fri Nov 21, 2008, 06:30 PM EST

PLYMOUTH - Town Manager Mark Sylvia appointed two new captains to the Plymouth Police Department Friday.
Lt. Bruce McNamee and Lt. John Rogers have been named to replace Michael Botieri, recently promoted to chief, and retired Capt. Michael Belmont.
"With these appointments, Chief Botieri has a solid command staff to assist him and build on the strong foundation of the Plymouth Police Department," Sylvia said. "Having had the opportunity to interview these candidates and to have worked with them both over the last several years, I look forward to the positive impact they will have on the department".
"I am very pleased that we are moving forward with the promotions," Botieri said. "I will be meeting with both captains Monday to discuss the transition of the new command staff as well as the goals and direction of the department. I look forward to working with both Capt. McNamee and Capt. Rogers."
McNamee is an 11-year veteran of the Plymouth Police Department. He holds a Master of Arts Degree in Criminal Justice from Anna Maria College in Paxton. He began his career with the Plymouth Police Department in 1997 and was promoted to lieutenant in 2006. He most recently served as shift commander in the Patrol Division. He has served the department as a patrol officer, a detective and a patrol sergeant. He also received the top score in testing for the chief's post. Newly appointed Chief Botieri was second but had significantly more experience.
Prior to the joining the local force, McNamee was a Massachusetts Environmental Police Officer. He also served in the United States Naval Reserve as a petty officer 3rd Class and with the National Guard as a military police officer. He is also a member of the Boston Police Gaelic Column.
Capt. John W. Rogers Jr. is a 23-year veteran of the Plymouth force. He has a Master of Science Degree in Criminal Justice from Western New England College in Wilbraham and is a graduate of the 232 session of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Academy. He began his career with the Plymouth Police Department in 1985 and has served as a patrol officer and as a detective for both general investigations and in the Narcotics Unit. He has also served as a patrol supervisor and the department's training supervisor. After being promoted to lieutenant in 2005 he was assigned as shift commander in the Patrol Division and for the last three years has served as commander of the Detective Unit.
Captain Rogers is also been an instructor at the Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Academy in Plymouth since 1997.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts