Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOSTON (WBZ) ― Police power in certain areas of Boston is an issue very few people want talk about on camera.

Why?

Because it may be all about the money.

State police cruisers can be seen on patrol in the seaport district in South Boston. But not Boston police. They are not allowed. Just State police.

South Boston Representative Brian Wallace is pushing legislation to change that.

"Its just stupid...it's a law that needs to be stricken from the books," Wallace said.

Wallace, who is a democrat, says he understands why State police were given exclusive police powers at Logan Airport across the harbor. The airport is run by Massport.

But what he doesn't understand is now that Massport owns a large chunk of property in South Boston, Boston police are now powerless there, too.

"No one ever saw Massport taking over the waterfront in South Boston, East Boston, by putting up hotels and restaurants," Wallace said. "Now State police control all of that. Boston police can't go down there, can't make an arrest, and I just think it's stupid."

The property owned by Massport is impressive, and it's property exclusively controlled by the State Police.

In addition to the airport, there are another 45 acres on the East Boston waterfront.

There are 90 acres in Charlestown and Medford, and about 285 acres in South Boston.

This issue is causing tension between Boston police and State police. For example, on the side walk in front of the New Seaport Hotel, Boston Police have no police powers. Because the hotel is owned by Massport, it is the exclusive jurisdiction of the State police.

Waterfront workers we talked to did not know State police controlled the South Boston neighborhood.

"I would call the Boston Police Department, which I assume is responsible for South Boston," one worker said. "I don't know who else I would call!"

Another worker said, "That's surprising, you would think that you would want Boston police to have enforcement powers within city limits."

So what's going on?

Wallace says it may come down to unwillingness by State police and Massport to share overtime dollars from lucrative police details.

"This should be about public safety, not about dollars," he said.

Chief correspondent Joe Shortsleeve then asked, "And you think it is about the dollars?"

Wallace responded, "In the long run it probably is, yes."

Since WBZ started working on this story, sources now tell us Massport and State Police are trying to work out a deal. A deal that would allow Boston Police back in their own neighborhood.

The Executive Office of Public Safety issued a statement to WBZ when asked about Rep. Wallace's legislation, which calls for joint police powers in those areas. The statement says in part, they would like to "find a solution."

http://wbztv.com/specialreports/boston.police.power.2.783223.html

G

·
"This should be about public safety, not about dollars," he said.

Chief correspondent Joe Shortsleeve then asked, "And you think it is about the dollars?"

Wallace responded, "In the long run it probably is, yes."
Of course it is about money. That is why Boston wants in. If there were no details/OT this would not be an issue. Police agencies only squabble over money.

G

·
Not necessarily; we get no details or OT from Wollaston Beach but have concurrent jurisdiction. Amazingly, the world continues to rotate on its axis.
I agree, but do you think Boston really cares that they are not able to take the stolen purse report or crash on Massport proberty.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Theres enough details to go around between both agencies..The media just loves highlighting the perceived greed..The jurisdiction issue should be worked out like a lot of areas in Boston patrolled by both the State and BPD...It should be done behind closed doors and not in the Boston rags

·
Registered
930 Posts
I may be asking a stupid question, but where is it written in law that the Boston Police don't have jurisdiction in the mentioned areas? I'm sure it is the responsibility of the State Police but is there some reason BPD can't go there? There may be some legal reason but I'ver never heard of it.

G

·
I agree, but do you think Boston really cares that they are not able to take the stolen purse report or crash on Massport proberty.
I highlighted Wollaston Beach as an example of state property which has local concurrent jurisdiction and no pissing matches over details. DCR road, MSP gets the details. There's no reason why the same arrangement can't be worked out with Massport property.

As others have mentioned, I believe this is just another way to get details back on the front page because the media smells blood in the water. Don't fall for it.

·
MassCops Member
46 Posts
Of course it is about money. That is why Boston wants in. If there were no details/OT this would not be an issue. Police agencies only squabble over money.
When the "merger" happened way back in, the mayor of Boston at the time, either Flynn or Menino, (It has been so long I can't remember) had the option of taking over the parkways from MDC jurisdiction. Boston PD would have replaced the Mets, and maintenance of the roadways would fall on the city. The mayor looked at the cost to mow, plow, seed, whatever, and could not swing it. Flynn was clamoring for his ambassadorship (Ireland, don't think so....how about Rome, and no, not Italy, the Vatican.....they should have sent him to Antarctica) and Menino was hot for the mayorship (four terms of him butchering the language) This was one of many sellouts for the BPD. Don't forget the governor of the state, not the mayor of the city, appointed the city police commisioner up until the late 60's. Flash ahead to the Fan Pier. Menino has been pushing this development for nearly the past 20 years. It is now just getting under way. A few years ago the city needed some money, they sold the leasing rights to Massport for I think $75 million. Now massport will have the ability to control the area. They use the troopers over at the airport (another political hot potato way back when for the BPD....the politicos thought Boston officers would be too corrupt for the flying public, they may ahve been right, may not have been right) why not have the troopers patrol massport property in Fan Pier/ Seaport/ South Boston Seaport or whatever name they call it. How many other cities in the US use their State Police at the airport? The MSP investigating homicides on the T, just recently with DA "my hair is going grayer by the day" Dan Conley. The Boston Police Department is under siege from every "police" department in the City of Boston. (see how many you can name....) The biggest threat to police officers in terms of manpower and money is privatization....outsourcing

MSP
MBTA
BU
NU
Wentworth
Umass
Simmons
Beth Israel
MGH
Amtrak
BC
Postal
Emerson
Boston Medical Center
Park Rangers
Park Police
Housing (I think should be merged with BPD....dont let anyone hear that.)
Fisher
Suffolk U
Massport
Suffolk County Sheriffs

And let's not forget about the private...red stripe specials, state specials, wackenhuts outside every Bank of America.

Each agency screams when Boston doesnt show up in a timely manner to pull the DK off their front steps, dorm room entrance, or ATM lobby, or transport their trespasser. But the same also listen to every call and fly around to "just help out...brother in blue/ we are here to back you up." Ok now where is that person with a gun we were looking for....oh he had a warrant so we arrested him. It turned out to be a fake gun......Ok he wasn't on your campus.....so can I have my prisoner please.....we didn't think you wanted the call....the victim called 9-1-1 not the switchboard at whatever agency you work for.

So as far as this little history lesson. it is about time that the BPD says enough of just rolling over and taking it up the tailpipe. If the call is in the city, the officer will take the lost wallet, stolen pocketbook, MVA report. WE should have been doing it all along...sometimes we are our own worst enemies and pull out the broom. The MSP don't have a landline 9-1-1 trunk.....all cellphones that call 9-1-1 go to the state and are re-directed. Maybe those folks that live in the new areas will only use cellphones. As someone said on the line under their names....if you have a question where you work, just look at the patch on your shoulder....MSP doesn't equal Mass Seaport Police.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
When the media can't find any dirt to sling at the cops, Plan B is to turn us against ourselves. Judging from the post above mine, I guess Plan B is working...

G

·
When the media can't find any dirt to sling at the cops, Plan B is to turn us against ourselves. Judging from the post above mine, I guess Plan B is working...
I can certainly understand his frustration; I did a paper in school about all the different law enforcement agencies which operate in Boston on any given day, and the number (including federal alphabets) was staggering. Granted this was when the MDC, Capitol, and RMV were still around, but drive around Boston and see how many police agencies there are.

I seem to recall a lot of your bretheren weren't too pleased with the NH Highway Patrol.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Under Siege??LOL..laughable at best. Those agencies added up dont hold an ounce of clout that the BPA has so stop being paranoid. It was just what the papers wanted and you bought into it.

·
Subscribing Member
927 Posts
The MSP does not have the BPD "under siege". There is plenty of work in the STATE to worry about one particular city. As far as the MSP/MBTA investigation deal, I think we all know that was two political figures pissing and moaning. I'm sure the CPAC troopers were busy enough without the extra work. I'm not going to get into a pissing match (which is the reason I deleted my 1st post) but your attitude of "under siege" does not promote good working relations with other agencies.

PS: I am not saying the MSP hasn't had that attitude aswell but I'd say the same thing if a Trooper wrote that and made a list of "enemy" agencies. :rolleyes:

Give me a break. Be careful, you are doing what the newspapers want. You are taking the focus away from the suits and paper pushers and making it a rank and file argument. We go where we are assigned and patrol what we are told to -- take it up with the politicos and administrations.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
I can certainly understand his frustration;
Fine, but it is glaringly obvious that this article was written with an agenda in mind. They have baited the trap, and we are taking the bait. I don't think it serves BPD, MSP or any other agency for us to fall into the trap and give veracity to their bull.

G

·
Fine, but it is glaringly obvious that this article was written with an agenda in mind.
Agreed.

They have baited the trap, and we are taking the bait. I don't think it serves BPD, MSP or any other agency for us to fall into the trap and give veracity to their bull.
Actually, D421's post probably elicited some "ah shits" from the newsroom, because it's exactly what they DIDN'T want; a public safety and job protection argument rather than complaining about details which I submit is the true agenda of the article.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
When the "merger" happened way back in, the mayor of Boston at the time, either Flynn or Menino, (It has been so long I can't remember) had the option of taking over the parkways from MDC jurisdiction. Boston PD would have replaced the Mets, and maintenance of the roadways would fall on the city. The mayor looked at the cost to mow, plow, seed, whatever, and could not swing it. Flynn was clamoring for his ambassadorship (Ireland, don't think so....how about Rome, and no, not Italy, the Vatican.....they should have sent him to Antarctica) and Menino was hot for the mayorship (four terms of him butchering the language) This was one of many sellouts for the BPD. Don't forget the governor of the state, not the mayor of the city, appointed the city police commisioner up until the late 60's. Flash ahead to the Fan Pier. Menino has been pushing this development for nearly the past 20 years. It is now just getting under way. A few years ago the city needed some money, they sold the leasing rights to Massport for I think $75 million. Now massport will have the ability to control the area. They use the troopers over at the airport (another political hot potato way back when for the BPD....the politicos thought Boston officers would be too corrupt for the flying public, they may ahve been right, may not have been right) why not have the troopers patrol massport property in Fan Pier/ Seaport/ South Boston Seaport or whatever name they call it. How many other cities in the US use their State Police at the airport? The MSP investigating homicides on the T, just recently with DA "my hair is going grayer by the day" Dan Conley. The Boston Police Department is under siege from every "police" department in the City of Boston. (see how many you can name....) The biggest threat to police officers in terms of manpower and money is privatization....outsourcing

MSP
MBTA
BU
NU
Wentworth
Umass
Simmons
Beth Israel
MGH
Amtrak
BC
Postal
Emerson
Boston Medical Center
Park Rangers
Park Police
Housing (I think should be merged with BPD....dont let anyone hear that.)
Fisher
Suffolk U
Massport
Suffolk County Sheriffs

And let's not forget about the private...red stripe specials, state specials, wackenhuts outside every Bank of America.

Each agency screams when Boston doesnt show up in a timely manner to pull the DK off their front steps, dorm room entrance, or ATM lobby, or transport their trespasser. But the same also listen to every call and fly around to "just help out...brother in blue/ we are here to back you up." Ok now where is that person with a gun we were looking for....oh he had a warrant so we arrested him. It turned out to be a fake gun......Ok he wasn't on your campus.....so can I have my prisoner please.....we didn't think you wanted the call....the victim called 9-1-1 not the switchboard at whatever agency you work for.

So as far as this little history lesson. it is about time that the BPD says enough of just rolling over and taking it up the tailpipe. If the call is in the city, the officer will take the lost wallet, stolen pocketbook, MVA report. WE should have been doing it all along...sometimes we are our own worst enemies and pull out the broom. The MSP don't have a landline 9-1-1 trunk.....all cellphones that call 9-1-1 go to the state and are re-directed. Maybe those folks that live in the new areas will only use cellphones. As someone said on the line under their names....if you have a question where you work, just look at the patch on your shoulder....MSP doesn't equal Mass Seaport Police.
You forgot some;
Mass Art
Harvard (medical campus)
Tufts (medical campus)
BHCC
DMH
Veterans Affairs
and I hear that Mass College of Pharmacy are looking to become sworn so I guess the sky truly is falling on the BPD. I'm not saying that your toes don't get stepped on by an overzealous officer from time to time but to say that these agencies have the BPD under siege is just absurd. Most of these agencies have been around for a long time and to quote the most reputable person on this site, " The Earth is still rotating on it's axis." Last I new, BPD exhausted it's civil service list, took on half the Muni's, and put on a group of laterals so I would say that you're jobs are pretty secure. I have yet to hear officials calling for additional campus PO's to patrol the city streets as part of the solution for reducing neighborhood crime. I understand that you're just looking out for your departments interests but when you start to grossly exagerate a problem than it hurts your credibility when a valid beef comes up. The biggest potential threat to your departments security is if the cities economy goes in the tank. Ironically, the colleges and hospitals significantly strenthen the cities economy.

G

·
Most of these agencies have been around for a long time and to quote the most reputable person on this site, " The Earth is still rotating on it's axis."
You're comparing apples to moonrocks. When I made that statement, it was in reference to us having concurrent jurisdiction on Wollaston Beach, which is DCR property.

There are only three uniformed police agencies with a presence in Quincy; QPD, MSP, and Transit. Considering we end up taking half or more of Transit's calls, I'm not sure I should even mention them, but whatever. You can't compare that to Boston, where it seems like every entity under the sun has a "police" department, be it full-service like UMass or as D421 said, a bunch of red-striped special officer whackers.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
You're comparing apples to moonrocks. When I made that statement, it was in reference to us having concurrent jurisdiction on Wollaston Beach, which is DCR property.

There are only three uniformed police agencies with a presence in Quincy; QPD, MSP, and Transit. Considering we end up taking half or more of Transit's calls, I'm not sure I should even mention them, but whatever. You can't compare that to Boston, where it seems like every entity under the sun has a "police" department, be it full-service like UMass or as D421 said, a bunch of red-striped special officer whackers.
I was just citing the quote itself, and not the context with which you used it.

·
MassCops Member
46 Posts
D421...you make some very good points...

I don't work in the City for a secondary law enforcement agency, but doesn't it help to have those other campus/whatever PD's around...?

I know there's places out there that wouldn't notice if their "police" departments disappeared tommorow, but I'm sure it helps to have BPD's call volume for annoying 'minor' calls to a minimum...

This is just what comes to mind when I think about this topic...
I believe that you have just made my point......we don't differentiate between minor, moderate, and major calls. They are prioritized when it is busy. The BPD should handle all calls, minor, or not that are on our jurisdiction. MSP handle their jurisdiction, campus theirs, security theirs. But that is not what is happening.

·
Subscribing Member
640 Posts
When they say BPD does not have the Power. Just Check and see who Issues the Licenses to these Establishments to Serve. The Last time I check it was a City of Boston License, Issued by the City of Boston License Division. So Detectives and Supervisors can go into these Establishments and Write them (Business) up for Violations Etc... Same holds true for Logan Airport.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts