Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was wondering what the mileage radius is to satisfy the residency requirement for the Boston Police Department. I live in Danvers, MA and Im not sure if that meets it. Thank you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You have to be a resident of boston a year prior to the exam to get the residency preference. After being hired you have to remain a resident for the first 10 years of employment. Think long and hard about that.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Getting on BPD is a young person's game who is either still in college or just graduated without dependents.
Or you grew up and still lived in Boston :cool:

Blows my mind they're hiring kids from out of town. If menino hadn't screwed over a couple generations of kids from the city they wouldn't have this hiring problem.

Oh well , Boston is still a great town. If you get a chance to get on the job think it's totally worth it.

( sorry folks, feeling extra grumpy this morning :p )

·
Registered
872 Posts
[QUOTE="pahapoika, post:

Blows my mind they're hiring kids from out of town. If menino hadn't screwed over a couple generations of kids from the city they wouldn't have this hiring problem.

( sorry folks, feeling extra grumpy this morning :p )[/QUOTE]
They are hiring non residents? Where have I been?

·
Registered
594 Posts
[QUOTE="pahapoika, post:

( sorry folks, feeling extra grumpy this morning :p )
They are hiring non residents? Where have I been?[/QUOTE]

Think he means kids that didn't grow up in the city. Which is 90% of who we hire now.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,473 Posts
Mahty Walsh was recently on TV saying that the housing and traffic insanity isn't confined to Boston and has encouraged the surrounding communities to build more housing and wanted to let folks know that you don't HAVE to live in Boston to WORK in Boston.

He said nothing about Public Safety personnel. Which means, YOU, HAVE to live in Boston.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck with that. the only place chances are that you can afford is Roxbury or close to it. and that's a LOUD fuck that. I work there daily, couldn't fathom raising my kids around the trash. They have good days an bad days. the simple fact that everyone's basically on top of each other isn't to much of a selling point neither.

·
Subscribing Member
3,459 Posts
After reading this, it leaves me to wonder why Boston (and other communities there in Mass) still have a residency requirement. What is the City Government's thought process on this issue?

Why limit themselves to Boston only residents when there's a world of potential candidates out there who would love to work there but don't want to live in the City to get it. The candidate pool is fairly small when only City residents can apply.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
After reading this, it leaves me to wonder why Boston (and other communities there in Mass) still have a residency requirement. What is the City Government's thought process on this issue?

Why limit themselves to Boston only residents when there's a world of potential candidates out there who would love to work there but don't want to live in the City to get it. The candidate pool is fairly small when only City residents can apply.
Supposedly, at least according the what one local politician explained (not Boston), you'll care more if you live in the city/town you work for. That's the mind set of the people that make these decisions.

·
Subscribing Member
3,459 Posts
Supposedly, at least according the what one local politician explained (not Boston), you'll care more if you live in the city/town you work for. That's the mind set of the people that make these decisions.
I remember hearing that 35 years ago when I first began trying to get on the job back there. I thought by now the thought process would have progressed. I work with many people who care about their jobs and and the city we work for. In fact, 36 of us have paid the ultimate price doing the job and caring for people they don't know since I've been with the Department.

Maybe a good paycheck, good benefits, a command staff who cares about you and local politicians who back their police department would make for officers who care more as well. (That goes for any city and town.) Thank goodness the LAPD doesn't have a residency rule. A poll among it's members was taken a number of years ago and found that 87% of us don't live in the City.

·
Registered
319 Posts

There's two different issues here... hiring and post-hire residency.
For hiring, in Civil Service municipalities, residents of the city or town have absolute preference over non-residents in the hiring process (with some very limited exceptions affecting typically fewer than five people statewide per test, typically survivors). This makes it very difficult to be hired in a city or town in which one does not have residency, but it has happened, mostly in small, wealthy towns that have very few residents who take the test. Residency is obtained by living in the relevant city or town for at least one year prior to the CS test. For non-CS towns, there are no such restrictions on hiring, and the municipality may use whatever process they choose to. Boston will never exhaust their residency list, and will never reach non-residents as a result.
Post-hire, there is no statewide requirement to live in the same city or town in which one works, but the requirement may be imposed at the option of the municipality. Boston and Everett come to mind as two such cities. The requirement is included in the contract, and enforced as a term of employment.
I'm shooting to get on Boston PD, and know that I will have a ten year residency requirement, but it honestly doesn't bother me. There are some great neighborhoods in Boston, you're almost guaranteed a short commute to work, and I like the idea of protecting the same city I live in.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I like getting OUT OF the jurisdiction I play PO-PO in. It allows me to relax a bit more and not be always on edge about crime, dumbass politicians, voters, etc.
It also creates a mental reset and makes an Officer more rounded and less jaded. Tired of your cops getting jammed for UoF, off duty shenanigans, etc?
Allow them the freedom to choose where to live and not force them to live in shitholes amongst the thugs they arrest daily.

Epic FAIL.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
John Ciccone wrote in the Tribune years ago all the improvements being made to Carson Beach weren't for us.

Thought he was a bit crazy at the time. Looks like the man was a prophet :(

·
Registered
594 Posts
Now the yuppies need a “park to beach experience.” The city/state is looking into extending columbia park all the way to the beach. Can you imagine the traffic if you get rid of that side of day blvd.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Now the yuppies need a "park to beach experience." The city/state is looking into extending columbia park all the way to the beach. Can you imagine the traffic if you get rid of that side of day blvd.
holy crap ! Really ?

Used to cringe when I heard the news helicopters telling people to cut through South Boston when the expressway got jammed up. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts