Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Boston Municipal Police have become civil service, have they hired any police officers? If so, where do they get their candidates from? Do they have the 32 age limit? Approximately how many police officers do they now have? What are they going to do with the site officers?

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Nope, no new hires and it's not going to happen for a while. They can't hire any new officers until the next test is given, and you won't see the Munis listed on the civil service exam until 2005.

There is no age limit. Right now there are approximately 120 officers.

The site officers are still around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they will not be able to hire anyone until November 2005? A few Boston Municipal officers have left and tranferred to other civil service departments, they will not fill those slots? Are they putting a limit on the number of officers that can transfer out? Thanks.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Yup, probably won't be hiring until 2005, if even then. Keep in mind, the City would have to put it into their budget and it's a civil service position; who could they hire before then? They weren't listed as a choice on the last exam. Nope, they're not filling the spots for the officers who have left. That's not to say that they may not hire some laterals in the meantime, but there hasn't been much talk of that. So far, no one has been turned down to transfer out of the department and no cap has been put on the number of officers allowed to transfer out.

You're welcome.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Since my last non-abrasive post was deleted, I ask the question, yet again...........

I am glad the Muni's got CS status. It was a long time coming and I wish everyone there the best of luck. I have just one question I hope someone can answer for me.

How can a city or town have two C. 31 civil service police departments at the same time? I know that some towns and cities have had Park Police or School Police but that is a different chapter under civil service. I have never heard of this before. Someone enlighten me.

What if someone who has left that job in the past puts the Municipal Police down as a choice on the next Civil Service exam, will their original date of appointment stand? Just wondering.

If someone feels like deleting this post, how about a PM explaining why a legitimate question just disappears??

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Again, off topic................
Well then humor me a bit here. If you go to all the pain & expense to create this BB in America to boot, wouldn't you think that free speech would apply on it?

When someone has a difference of opinion with your ever so autocratic way of being, why not try to hash it out instead of just plain booting someone for valid opinions and expressions of such.

I see that you have had battles on here before in different forums and when confronted with opinions that you do not agree with, these people also seem to disappear. Why is that? Are you afraid that certain people do not agree with your thinking so they are just deemed by you not worthy of participation in this or other forums?

You may want to consult with "Baghdad Bob" on the finer points of censorship. I believe he is out of work this past year and a half with nothing to do these days and he expects your call any minute.

Oh, and I am ever so thankful for the courtesy expressed and I can't express how much it means to be humored by you. I have PM'd Gil on the subject matter at hand and if you want the same courtesy, please feel free to PM me if I am not suspended on that feature also.

OK Back on topic, can anyone explain why & how there can be 2 C.31 C/S PD's in the same city or town? I have never seen anything like this in any place in MAss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D Hi everyone! I'm new at this game and hate computers.so forgive the spelling and gramar errors! First I would like to say that I believe that you have a right to your freedom of speech, but I do detect a note of anger and resentment in your voice. And I'm sorry if I missed it but could you state me the C.&S. that states that there can be only one C. 31 Dept. in a city? Not that I doubt you but I would like to research it my self. Second! I now that Municipal Police pay into the cities retirement system. The third is that there are other subjects that are even more interesting than that. Like! How do non Civil Service agencies, that are not considered Police by MCJTC and don't have a real Police Academy behind them, Do details in the city??? Aren't they considered flagmen? I don't begrudge anyone the right to survive and to make a living in a city that eats your money no matter how much you make! But give credit where credit is due. And i'm sure that your a hard working P.O. like the Municipal Police Anti Crime Unit that topped warrant arrests in the City of Boston for the quarter. Check out their arrest stats,I think you'l be amazed! Some of those P.O.s make more arrests in one week than some small towns do in a year! As Police Officers we only have each other! Don't worry about how much the other guy prospers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can someone provide with some more insight on this department, I have seen some municipal police cars at fanuiel hall before. I am just curious, is there a citywide jurisdiciton, or limitations? Also what is a site officer? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
422 Posts
They can hire if they choose to, who ever they hire just has to pass the next civil service exam to keep there job, my friend left there not to long ago and just told me that. although he doesnt know of any future hirings before the test.

·
Registered
38 Posts
HEY HEY HEY, can somebody fill me in on the Muni's becoming C.S. When did that happen? Do we pick them on the CS list or do they still hold thier own testing process?

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are not going to hire anyone, since the spots are still filled with officers who left and took a leave of absence so when they merge with Boston they can come right back.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
I guess that makes sense 77thmpoc, according to the post for MSP dispatcher I position that is what they are doing now that that is a recent CS position but with out a test date, the post said that they would have to take & pass the next CS test to keep their job (or should i say the 1st CS test rather than the next cs test?)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the Boston Municipal Police do? Are they the same as the Boston Housing Police or is it different?

Thank You and Stay Safe.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Rafferty, I don't see how Mitpo62 = department envy. Since the MIT PD is larger and better paid than MOST police departments in the commonwealth, I see no reason for envy EXCEPT for the crumby MIT retirement system (for enlisted...not noncoms or coms...). :?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.