Boston might divert 911 “non-violent” calls | MassCops

Boston might divert 911 “non-violent” calls

Discussion in 'New England' started by Tango_Sierra, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

2. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

My daughter is a therapist. I wouldn't want her being sent to one of these calls. How long until one of the is assaulted or killed while going to a "non violent" call? But I'm sure Mahty and the Boston city council will say it's a terrible tragedy and form a committee to determine how to avoid it in the future.

mpd61 likes this.
  3. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

No more junkies or homeless people to deal with? How about neighbor disputes too? Sounds good to me!!!!!!

Bloodhound, Sooty, Kilvinsky and 2 others like this.
  4. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Yep. Let those tender hearts take care of these, they KNOW more and are better suited for handling all crises, according to them.

Sooty, Kilvinsky and Tango_Sierra like this.
  5. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Where is the infrastructure for this? Policies? Procedures? dispatch who? private or municipal/state employees?..............................

6. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

There will be grievances and case laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilvinsky and mpd61 like this.
  7. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

We had folks with mental health issues in safe secure places and making sure they got their meds but the liberals felt it was cruel to confine someone just because they had issues. Now, they die on the streets, OH MUCH BETTER. They steal, they hurt innocent people, each other, THEMSELVES and in the meantime, WE got to deal with them. Well, I applaud this proposal but know in my heart, there is a good chance it'll fail because as we all know, things can go SOUTH in seconds.

The state's mental institutions needed reform, not closing.

mpd61, AB7, Sooty and 4 others like this.
  8. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

They can divert calls to anyone they want! Problems is people that need to be in the institution still have nowhere to go!

mpd61 likes this.
  9. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

This must be so annoyingly familiar! Mental patients are considered non-violent until they become violent. When they do they hurt their therapist or care taker. Do we have anyone left with real problem solving skills?

mpd61 likes this.
  10. msw

msw MassCops Member

The first time a member of one of these Peace & Unicorn Rapid Response Mediation Teams gets thumped by a “client”, their agency will be setting up a hotline to police dispatch. And thereafter, a cop unit will be dispatched with every Peace & Unicorn RRM Team roll-out. It’ll just end up with duplication of effort.

Goose, mpd61, CCCSD and 1 other person like this.
  11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I heard they were talking about having these people respond and book MV crashes too ? Wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

I wish well to the people in the city of Boston. I hope that they all are safe and well taken care of under the guidance and direction provided by their elected officials.

But I have always thought the greatest atrocity to mental and developmental issues was the closing of state hospitals. Sure the wording could’ve used some updating, nobody wants to be living in a place for the “feeble minded” or similar naming. Through my own experience and people I have met who were former employees of these institutions, they really truly cared about the people who lived there and tried to do the best they could.

It was a victim of the same shortcomings that effect every system. Inadequate funding, staffing, unheard and ignored suggestions from the caretakers and staff. In the end a lot of genuine heroes who cared for unfortunate and difficult people ended up jobless or transferred.

Kilvinsky, FTH, mpd61 and 1 other person like this.
  13. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

THIS is why patrolmen and patrolwomen HAVE to be present with mental health clinicians during welfare checks.

AB7 and Drebbin like this.
  14. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Somebody for god sakes show THAT one to Michelle Wu and Mah-tee Walsh.......They're clueless!!!!!:confused:

Kilvinsky and CCCSD like this.
  15. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

Maybe they should start making it easier to get ahold of the BEST team after 8pm. All these “brilliant” ideas are just gonna end up getting people hurt and requiring a police response in the end.

16. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

What I love is how these Boston City Councilors all want to "defund" and "demilitarize" the police, and therefore "decrease" social injustice and racial tensions.........

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mpd61, Kilvinsky, Drebbin and 3 others like this.
  17. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member