1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meter maid stripped of bra can sue city over co-workers
By J.M. Lawrence
Thursday, February 17, 2005

A Boston meter maid - whose boss was fired after he ripped off her bra in a city van - will get her day in court against the city.

A federal appeals panel yesterday overturned a district judge's order throwing out the case and said Christi Noviello deserves to argue that she endured a retaliatory hostile work environment from unsympathetic workers who branded her ``a rat.''

Noviello, who suffered burns last month in an unrelated incident when a West Roxbury man allegedly threw hot coffee in her face over a $55 ticket, claims she was ostracized by coworkers and supervisors for reporting Jose Ortiz.

:shock: Ortiz was fired within a week after Noviello reported he yanked off her bra on Sept. 11, 1999, hung it on the van's mirror and bellowed to a city employee on the street, ``Hey, Billy, come and smell this.'' :shock:

The appeals court ruled Noviello has no sex harassment case against the city over Ortiz since the city's response to the incident was ``prompt and effective.'' But she can challenge the city's handling of her coworkers.

Noviello claims one woman tried to set her up for disciplinary action by falsely claiming she threw a tampon, while another worker circulated a petition for her dismissal. A van driver ferrying meter maids to their posts intentionally drove off without her and she was ostracized at a holiday party where workers took up a collection for Ortiz, her suit alleges.

First filed in 2003, Noviello's lawsuit claims supervisors refused to intervene and seeks $200,000 in damages for emotional distress.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I find this story curious.
How do you rip the brassiere off of a fully clothed female?
We have to presume she had on her uniform top, or even street clothes right? So doesn't it seem a bit fishy?
I mean, without holding her down, or placing his hands inside or forcibly tearing of the plaintiff's top; how did he remove it?
I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to this story than meets the eye…
:roll:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.