Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started a new job in Boston and couldn't help but notice all the Boston EMS guys I see come in have handcuff cases on their belts. I asked my co-workers about it, who told me they get appointed as Boston Specials for cases where they have to take someone involuntarily. I am wondering if any other EMS agencies in this state, or any other, has a similar program, where EMT's and Paramedics are given powers of arrest for similar purposes.

:?:

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
One of my instructors told me about that. I think Boston is the only one that gives their medics some sort of LE power but yet I might be wrong.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
A friend I had took me on a few ride alongs back in the early 90's.
I don't recall any special authority, but I do remember they had cuffs for pink papers and combative patients.
I never seen them used.
We rode out of A1P1 Downtown on Congress Street.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
There was a period of time that they were "Boston Specials". But now they just use the cuffs for restraints... and they use them OFTEN on individuals that cannot make a rational decision... i.e. drunks, sec. 12's, or other nutty cases.

Boston EMS is also known as DHH, Department of Health and Hospitals

Up until the early 80's they(DHH) used to actually have their own Police Department.. although I'm not sure what they did or covered...

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Actually they disbanded in the mid to late 90s. I remember seeing them while I was in the reserve academy delivering parts for Dave Dinger Ford 1n 95/96, lol, way back when I was full fledged wanna-be.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm glad they do carry them, only took 4 weeks on the job to see Boston EMS jump in a pigpile with us and get thier cuffs on the assbag first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.