Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from the news page of www.necops.org

Boston College Police Officer Martin Curley, a member of NECOPS Local 2, is being hailed a hero! Officer Curley was nearing the end of the first half of a double shift on Monday, 10/20/08, when an emergency call came in to Boston College Police Headquarters at 1410 hours. According to the caller, there was a man unconscious at the bottom of a man hole near Conte Forum. Officer Curley and several other officers responded to the scene. Upon arrival they determined that there were two men, both unconscious and bleeding from the nose and mouth, in the hole which services the underground steam pipe system for the campus. A third man advised the officers that he tried to help, but was quickly overcome by toxic liquid nitrogen fumes and was forced to save himself.

The responding officers quickly set up a safety tripod. Officer Curley strapped himself into the safety harness and rigged an emergency breathing device using his cruiser oxygen tank and a non-rebreather face mask. Officer Curley descended into the hole with complete disregard for his own personal safety. He struggled to free one of the men who was wedged beneath a steam pipe, but managed to move him close enough to the top of the hole for other officers to complete the rescue. By now, fire apparatus had arrived on scene, and a Scott Air-Pak was handed down to Officer Curley. Although Officer Curley was already feeling the effects of the toxic fumes, he chose to place the Scott Air-Pak on the other victim. He then moved that victim to the top of the hole where fellow emergency personnel were able to complete that rescue as well.

Officer Curley was rushed to the hospital along with the victims and was treated and released after several hours. When asked later how he managed to rescue both men Officer Curley stated "I only remember one!" He also stated when he first arrived and looked to the bottom of that hole, he "couldn't help but think about those guys' families. I knew I had to do all I could to get them out of there."

The New England Coalition of Public Safety congratulates Officer Martin Curley on a job well done! Thank you, Officer Curley, you truly are a "hero"!

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Awesome work and great improvised thinking as well! Plus you have the added bonus of taking thunder away from the ding-dings.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
A great job and I hope he gets widespread public recognition for this heroic act. A B.C.football game nod while on national TV would be a start.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,584 Posts
So, will he get the medal from the Commonwealth or the MPA that he very much deserves. If not, I WILL write a nice long letter. It may mean nothing but venting is a good thing.

I'm hopeful the Hanna Award ceremonies next time around will include this true hero.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, will he get the medal from the Commonwealth or the MPA that he very much deserves. If not, I WILL write a nice long letter. It may mean nothing but venting is a good thing.

I'm hopeful the Hanna Award ceremonies next time around will include this true hero.
He has already been nominated for an award through MACLEA, and hopefully will be nominated for more. The Hanna Award is certainly a possibility as well as Officer of the Year honors at BC.

We'll be buying him a beer next time we're out too. Isn't that the best reward? :pint:

·
Yeah, THAT GUY!
2,731 Posts

Sorry Jim, but the MPA only gives awards to Municipal and State Police and scholarships to their kids at least since the last time they actually got around to sending me a "Sentinal." We are only associate members. They dues are not "associate" though. :(

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
He has already been nominated for an award through MACLEA, and hopefully will be nominated for more. The Hanna Award is certainly a possibility as well as Officer of the Year honors at BC.

We'll be buying him a beer next time we're out too. Isn't that the best reward? :pint:
He's got my vote. Excellent work.
:t:

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Let's get some chief on this board to nominate him for the PARADE MAGAZINE award. It's a project of the IACP. I think a few chiefs working on this could have some impact. The quick thinking and improvising added to the major risk has all the elements needed to show what heroic action is all about.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.