Boston Civil Service | MassCops

Boston Civil Service

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by KPD54, Nov 11, 2020.

1. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

Hi all,
    I've always been interested in big city policing. As it stands, Boston is probably the best example of that. However, Boston's website says they won't hire non-Boston residents. Do you guys know if this is held to, or if its just website nonsense. As a side note, do you think that will change as police officers become harder to find in coming years?

2. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Boston falls under Civil Service rules. City residents have preference over non-residents to be hired. If the city exhausted its list of residents, non-residents would get cards. But Boston has enough residents taking the test for that not to be an issue.
    Further information about the Civil Service hiring process can easily be found on the CSC/HRD website, including further details about preferences and eligibility requirements

3. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

What I mean is coming from this quote here "You must be a Boston resident (lived in the city) at least one year before the date of your exam." Which can be found at How to become a police officer
    You're saying that Boston does hire those who don't live in the city.

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

If Boston doesn't work out, come on out to the even bigger City of LA. We're always hiring (even if it is a bit slower now). We don't have the same Civil Service process as Boston and we don't have any residency rules. Plus, the weather is wicked bettah!

Goose and 02136colonel like this.
  5. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

No its not going to change. They are soon going to be giving preference to Boston Public School graduates. Stay far away, trust me.

CCCSD and 02136colonel like this.
  6. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Will that have to be approved by the state legislature or will City Council approval be enough? I know last time around they were trying to increase residency preference from one year to three but it never passed on the state level.
    I’m just hoping they’ll do another round of cards off the 2019 test...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  7. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

Im good on the hell known as cali, thanks though. I know you guys work hard out there with all the crazies.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  8. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

State legislature. The promotional exam we just took will most likely be the last one ever administered also. Id seriously reconsider it.

02136colonel likes this.
  9. msw

msw MassCops Member

I grew up in a small town suburb of Boston and also wanted to do big city policing. I knew I’d never get on in Boston, so in 1977, I moved to Los Angeles and did my “big city” policing there. Had a blast of a career, but I would NOT recommend a cop job in a Blue city or state anymore.

PBC FL Cop, Goose and CCCSD like this.
  10. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

DC Metro is always hiring; most of the counties surrounding DC have densely populated areas, so their county PDs are more like big city police than suburban police, but they have less dense areas you can transfer to once you get tired of running your ass off every day.

When you say you're looking for "big city" policing, what do you mean? Like it's gotta be over 500,000 people, a PD with 2000+ officers and dozens of specialized bureaus? Or do you just want the experience of going balls to the wall from the beginning to the end of every shift? Because if you want that, the PDs in CT are so desperate for applicants, they're about to give a new meaning to "oral board". Hartford isn't a "big" city, but at about 120,000 people and a 400+ man department, you'll get a pretty similar big city experience you'll get from cities like Boston. Plus, they don't do civil service bullshit. You'll get a lot of action in Bridgeport, New Haven, and Stamford as well.

Goose and 02136colonel like this.
  11. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MassCops Member

The PD in San Antonio, TX has a good reputation, and while any large city will have some anti-police sentiment, the climate in TX is a lot more reasonable than the ones in CT, MA, or CA.

As for size, San Antonio is bigger than Boston and DC combined.

PG1911 and CCCSD like this.
  12. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

i'd love to get on as a seasonal somewhere, as I'm still in school. For "big city" i just mean somewhere with a fairly large force with busy shifts. I was on as a seasonal with a municipality in maine last summer, so something a bit faster than that would be nice. This is really just my quest for experience.

13. felony

felony MassCops Member

If you want to get on Boston/Worcester/Springfield, move to that city a year before the test, take the exam and see where you stand. If you're in college, consider joining the guard or reserves . I wouldn't waste too much time with seasonal LE jobs. The current policing climate and job climate is not what it used to be.

Seasonal LE experience looks good on a resume and holds a little more weight with smaller agencies. Larger agencies will train you how they want and could care less what you did before. As long as you meet the entrance requirements. Some smaller agencies, might value your experience more, however will still train you how they want. My advice, don't worry about big city policing, since you can't even take the test. Joining the military and completing school are what you should focus on.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    02136colonel likes this.
  14. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Join the military, get on Boston Fire. Make a ton of dough and work two days a week.

15. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk