Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the attorney that got locked up by MSP when he requested to see the radar display and subsequently was arrested for disorderly. Commonwealth v. Bosk, 29 Mass. App. Ct. 904, 906-907 (1990). Typical lawyer, at it again!!!

BOSK ON LEFT

Bosk gets probation for party

By Rebecca Deusser

FITCHBURG -- A district court judge sentenced John A. Bosk Jr. -- the Fitchburg lawyer charged with 12 counts of providing alcohol to minors -- to three months probation Thursday, although Bosk did not admit he was guilty.

"The judge exercised fairness and compassion," said Elliot Weinstein, Bosk's lawyer. "It's the finest tradition of justice."

District Court Judge Douglas W. Stoddart sentenced Bosk to 90 days of unsupervised probation, continued without a guilty finding for one count of providing alcohol to minors.

Stoddart gave Bosk one day of unsupervised probation for the other 11 counts and ordered him to pay a fee of $50.

Bosk entered an Alford plea, which allows him to be sentenced for the crimes without admitting guilt.

Although Bosk did not admit guilt, a continuance without a guilty finding is still a conviction in the eyes of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers -- an independent group that investigates complaints against lawyers, according to Daniel Crane, bar counsel for the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers in Boston.

A conviction could lead to more disciplinary action for lawyers, said Crane.

"It depends upon the nature of the criminal conduct that determines whether further proceedings will occur," said Crane, who would not comment specifically on Bosk's case. "It depends on if it was a serious crime or not, such as misconduct in the practice of law, dishonesty or deceit ... other misdemeanor crimes are not treated as harshly."

Crane would not say which category providing alcohol to minors would fall into.

After a lawyer's conviction is filed in court, the Board of Bar Overseers decides whether further action is necessary.

"That could be several months to a year for a final outcome," said Crane.

Bosk was charged eight months after he allegedly allowed minors to drink alcohol on his property at 917 Ashby State Road during his teenage son's Halloween party in October 2003.

"The party was given by minors ... there was an excess of 100 people at times," said Assistant District Attorney Blake Rubin. "Witnesses testified (Bosk) was present at the party, not handing out or purchasing alcohol ... but facilitating the party."

Rubin said prosecutors objected to the judge's decision, and asked that Bosk be found guilty on all 12 charges, and sentenced to one year probation.

Bosk remained silent during the proceedings, only affirming he understood the conditions of his punishment.

Stoddart expressed sympathy for the death of Bosk's son, 17-year-old Joseph Crockett Bosk, who died in a motorcycle accident in June.

Stoddart called Bosk's charges "trivial" when compared to losing his son.

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
I gigged this guy for 90-17 on 190 back in '94 or '95 and he wanted to see my radar then, too. He was found responsible at a judge's hearing. Complete A-Hole.

·
1,334 Posts
I bet there were more than a few people more than happy to respond to an underage drinking party at his house... :lol:

Like him or not, (and most people I have met it is "not"), he atleast he paved the way for us to make it an even easier disorderly for the know-it-all drivers that like to exit their cars and make a disturbance in the roadway.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Would you ever show your radar unit to someone who asked? Maybe it's just me, but like if that question came up in an interview, I think I'd say "no"...I need to get a job :wink:

·
1,334 Posts
Would you ever show your radar unit to someone who asked? Maybe it's just me, but like if that question came up in an interview, I think I'd say "no"...I need to get a job :wink:
Absolutely not :evil: . The side of the road is not the place to argue the merits of a stop or citation, thats what the traffic hearings (hopefully a judges appeal for some court time) are for. It is dangerous enough to begin with. Especially if the person gets out of their car and is in the roadway. "Get back in your car!"... but, but, but... "Your going to be considered disorderly", but I want to see the radar I am so and so, I know my rights... Clink Clink.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Absolutely not :evil: . The side of the road is not the place to argue the merits of a stop or citation, thats what the traffic hearings (hopefully a judges appeal for some court time) are for. It is dangerous enough to begin with. Especially if the person gets out of their car and is in the roadway. "Get back in your car!"... but, but, but... "Your going to be considered disorderly", but I want to see the radar I am so and so, I know my rights... Clink Clink.
I love the ramblings of an idiot who starts with "I know my rights" or "you can't arrest me"
the promise of extra court time warms my heart and wallet.

·
1,334 Posts
I love the ramblings of an idiot who starts with "I know my rights" or "you can't arrest me" the promise of extra court time warms my heart and wallet.
I never understood why anyone would start a motor vehicle stop off arguing or demanding? Any chance of a warning is out of the question; GIG, without even thinking twice.

I remember hearing Atty. Bosk's name mentioned a few times in the p/t academy aside from the case law he established. Does not seem very well liked across the board by those in the LE and court system (on all sides). Must take a real good personality to have a reputation like that.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Bosk is a complete scumbag!!! So many cops have waited a long time for this guy to step on his [email protected]*k and now he did. We can only hope that he loses his privilege to practice law, so the Commonwealth will be a safer place to live for law abiding citizens!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, I doubt this "beaut" will receive anything other than a slap on the wrist from his brother and sister shysters!

I have never shown anyone the reading on my VASCAR...as a senior trooper said to me: "...Sir, I'm not holding court at the side of the road...appeal the citation...". :twisted:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree. The side of the road is no place to argue a "V". Nor is it traffic court. In 24 years I have never allowed anyone back to my car to see the radar. Good answer dcs2244.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't have a problem showing a lidar reading but letting a violator out of their car and back to yours to examine equipment they dont understand is just asking for trouble!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Not to mention the liability: "what if" you let citizen X out of his vehicle to examine the equipment and he gets "golfed" by one of his fellow lemmings and ends up DEAD...or brain dead?! Bye-bye house/career/family-sold-into-slavery! :shock:

Hey, you can always get a job picking fruit in a "migrant" fashion...as I recall, the farmers are not too particular about social security numbers... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.