Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 31, 2005

Dear Friends,

I am writing to you because my father-in-law Don Creighton, a wonderful father, loving husband, and 31 year police officer (currently on leave from the WestTisbury Police Department, West Tisbury, MA), is in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant that could save his life.

So far, doctors have not been able tofind a "match" for him; a very specific donor must be found--far beyond just matching blood type--to be considered a viable donor for a transplant candidate.

Last fall, Don was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, a fatal blood disease. Doctors believe that Don contracted this leukemia as a result of his exposureto Agent Orange during his tour of duty with the U.S. Army Air Cavalry in Vietnam.

When he was first diagnosed, Don was placed on drug therapy with the hopesthat more extreme treatment could be forestalled. Unfortunately, his condition worsened, and he had to undergo seven weeks of extensive hospitalization andchemotherapy treatment.

Now, Don needs a bone marrow transplant but a match has not been found.

I am asking you today, if you are between 18-60 years of age and in good general health, to please consider being tested to see if you couldbe a match for Don.

The American Red Cross of New England (Don's regional Red Cross) offers a service that will allow you to be tested specifically for him. It works like this: The RedCross will send you a test kit. You take the test kit to your doctor's office or local clinic, where they will prick your finger. The kit is then sent back to The Red Cross,who will do preliminary testing to see if you could be a match for Don.

The Red Cross charges a $45 service fee for each test, for which you could find a sponsor or donate the cost yourself. You include the funds paid directly to the American Red Cross when you return your test kit. This is a very serious but worthwhile task I am asking you to consider. If you are interested in being tested for Don, just reply by email to [email protected] with your name and address and I will make sure you receive a test kit from The Red Cross.

For more information about Bone Marrow Donation, please go to http://www.marrow.org

Joining the National Registry is also an option through this drive. Please, give it some thought. It is not every day that you can step in and save someone's life.

Sincerely,
Patti Chern

[email protected]

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got this great news today.......

WE FOUND A MATCH FOR DON!!!!! It is a miracle come true.

Thank you so much for your help.

J. Sibert
West Tisbury Police Department
West Tisbury, MA 02575

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.