Body Armor Recommendations | Page 2 | MassCops

Body Armor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by changeover, Jan 24, 2012.

1. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I bet a lot of spouses do though....

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

My daughter "punches" me in the chest every day before I leave for work.

As for my wife, I'm worth more dead to her than alive. :D

3. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Any day I don't feel like wearing my vest, I just take a look down at the adorable face of my daughter and shrug it on.

sgthoskins, MSP75, honor12900 and 2 others like this.
  4. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

I always wear my vest even though its past it's prime. Any thoughts I had of not wearing the thing went away April 10th last year. Always wear your vest guys and girls don't be stupid. Trust me it can happen to you too.

5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Saw a Woburn guy wearing one of these...on a bank detail. They blend in pretty well, did a double take. They do look like a looser fit, not sure how that affects coverage or performance.
    Not a bad detail...bank got robbed 8 months ago, they've paid for an officer every day since. And it hasn't been robbed again ;)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

pahapoika likes this.
  6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

part time gig went mandatory on the vest.

tried to get the lightest possible one II-A .........................no dice

Level II or better.

7. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

When I got mine, I got the best I could get...IIIA. My reasoning is that I'm not always going to know what my threat is, and an extra pound or two to save my life is worth it.

Hush likes this.
  8. Hush

While IIA might be adequate for the threats you potentially face, the advantage to higher levels of protection is the reduction of blunt trauma. That means less injury per bullet stopped, and a greater ability to return effective fire. It's also better at protecting the most common threat to your torso, the steering wheel.

frank likes this.
  9. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I agree. I always choose IIIA. They are made thing enough nowadays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

frank likes this.
  10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I disagree.....those who are on the fence about wearing a vest could likely choose not to with a IIIA.....my current vest is a IIIA, and I absolutely hate it. It's like wearing a barrel,.

But, I still wear it.

As for the external carriers, someone else made an excellent point in another forum; they make fantastic grabbing points during an unarmed battle with a bad guy. If I were Joe Scumbag, I'd use the external vest to toss around the cop like a rag doll.

Last night was as miserable as it could have been.....hot, rain, and oppressive humidity. I wore my concealed vest, traditional uniform shirt and pants, and guess what?

I SURVIVED! :eek:

sgthoskins and Hush like this.
  11. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

12. Hush

That's a really good point!

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Full credit goes to fra444.

14. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

External carriers really aren't any less hot than concealed carriers unless you wear a wicking shirt underneath them; my friend in the Army said they called them "sexy" shirts over in Afghanistan:

[​IMG]

Although I don't use an external carrier, one thing I like about the concept is you could move some the gear off your belt, lightening the load for your duty belt. One guy I know in K-9 wears one and he carries a lot of his gear on the vest rather than his belt. I was skeptical until I saw him at the range performing speed reloads faster than most of the other guys there.

15. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

I think it's a pretty big assumption that a criminal won't know a cop is wearing body armor at this point.

Over the clothing armor is preferable if you are able to carry gear on it. It takes pressure of your back and puts it back on your shoulders (where is should be). Most of our speciality units (K-9, VICE, etc) all wear outer armor and say it's way better in the long run.

Personally anything that will alleviate pressure on my lower back over the course of 25 years is ok in my book.

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'm in my 25th year of wearing a full gunbelt,and no chronic back issues whatsoever. Regular stretching and periodic visits to the chiropractor have paid off.

Not to mention, tactical units are almost always going to be entering deadly force situations, so the issue of the outer vest being used to toss them around is not going to be there.

Just to test that theory, I put on my concealable vest on over my t-shirt, and asked my wife (a lot smaller and weaker than I am) to grab my vest by the arm holes and try to pull me down. I was on the floor in about 0.5 seconds.

Hush likes this.
  17. FordMustang

FordMustang MassCops Member

When I worked in Florida we were allowed to wear external tactical vests. I had level IIIA armor in those carriers with hard trauma plates in the rear and front. They were weaver style tac vests which was awesome because you could lighten up the load you carried on your belt. Used to carry my radio, taser and mags on my vest. Even with the external it was still hot as hell in Florida. Wish more departments in Massachusetts would allow this, it will save your back and is much more functional/practical having tools on your vest. I've heard admins say they "look too intimidating and SWAT looking and scare people"....bahahha. To me it's about functionality.

The job I'm at now we are issued Level II vests, under uniform only.

18. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

My job allows outer carriers and I wear one. We do not wear the tactical style however, we wear the tailored armor carriers. I find it much more comfortable than the concealable carrier.

19. Meat Eater

Meat Eater MassCops Member

I had a minor problem a while ago with in coming rounds and no vest. Your never going to have time to get the flack jacket out of the trunk when you need it. Ware the best vest you can get. I don't like the vest on the outside. My wife looked at it, and the first thing she said is there going to shoot you in the head.

Hush and GARDA like this.
  20. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Sounds like 1st world problems. ;)

Kidding. Glad you're in one piece bro.