Body Armor Recommendations | MassCops

Body Armor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by changeover, Jan 24, 2012.

1. changeover

changeover MassCops Member

Hey guys. I am starting work as an armed patrol officer and I don't think they will be buying me body armor soo I plan on getting my own. I will be carrying a Sig P229 .40 caliber. What would you guys recommend? I am looking for something that would stop the .40 but also be somewhat comfortable if that is all possible. I know they aren't very comfortable to begin with but I know very little about body armor. Thanks to anyone that can help!

2. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Does your dept allow Body armor to be worn over the uniform AKA Uniform Carrier?
    [​IMG]
    If they do I suggest going that route.

I currently have Point Blank LVL IIIA Classic.( Under Uniform) Not the most comfortable but the price was right. Talk with your dept they may have a deal with a local company and it may save you some money.

3. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Do you plan on shooting yourself in the chest ?

Boot likes this.
  4. changeover

^ You know, I am not sure. I have yet to start. Still doing my background. I will have to ask when I talk to them next. Good tip with the local deal. I just wasn't sure what to even look at. I don't understand the levels too well.

5. changeover

No, why? I want to get something that stops a .40 in case someone gets my firearm. That's what every cop I have ever know has told me to get.

6. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I guess I was just saying get the best one possible period , don't limit it to one based on what your carrying because most likey you will be outgunned anyway. Good luck, I would offer some advice but thats another Dept, I'm in Sarcasm and Humor.

GARDA, zm88, pahapoika and 3 others like this.
  7. changeover

Ahh, I see. I figured you were poking fun or something. I was just told to get something based on that but I definitely see where you are coming from. I will take it into consideration. Thanks!

7costanza likes this.
  8. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

Your still doing your background check? So your not hired yet? I would wait until i'm hired before talking or thinking about buying a vest they may issue you one anyway. This is an option if money is an issue.
    http://www.odmp.org/info/free-bulletproof-vest-partnerships

9. changeover

I actually was going to wait but just wanted to get an idea first. Thank you for the link!

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Negative, negative, negative......don't give up the tactical advantage of concealed body armor just for some personal comfort. If I was Joe Scumbag and I saw a cop wearing one of those, I'd go for a shot to the head or pelvic girdle.

GARDA, zm88, frank and 3 others like this.
  11. mcjimmy

mcjimmy MassCops Member

I was actually going to post this same question ...I recently found this site www.bulletproofme.com had nothing but good reviews from customers that used it

12. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Wear this:

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, something about this post doesn't seem right, I smell whackerism.....

13. changeover

Definitely going to get one that is fitted. Thanks Delta, I never would have thought of that. I will be getting a concealed one then if my department allows me too, which they should.

By the way USMCMP5811, I think I watched the gif in your sig for a good 10 minutes straight haha.

To killjoy. No whackerism. I dont live in Mass anymore. I got hired by ADT for an armed position and I need a vest. Just need some recommendations, thats all. Obviously I am not a cop and I will certainly not act like one. It is my ultimate goal though. Thats why I moved out of Mass. Spent wayyy too long trying to get on there.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

IIRC, the vests issued to U.K. cops are designed more for edged weapons than gunfire, since they THEORETICALLY don't face as much of a threat from guns than we do (yeah, right).

In any case, if I were a British hooligan armed with a Crocodile Dundee-type knife and came across that guy, I'd slash for the throat, while silently thanking him for advertising his protected area.

15. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

You work there too?

GARDA, Nightstalker and 7costanza like this.
  16. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

While I agree about tactical advantage. The simple fact is that most officers do not wear armor simply because they feel it is too uncomfortable. This is a huge problem. If giving an officer more comfort will get more officers to wear armor than I am all for it.

Remember a semi smart Joe Shmo bad guy will assume the cop is wearing armor anyway. Also the average Joe Shmo Bag guy is going to be in a hurry, uncoordinated, and will probably not be able to get off a good head shot. There is a much more likely chance that Shmo would miss the officers head and hit the chest area simply because it is a bigger area. Most Shmos could care less if they kill or injur the cop they just want to get away.

Yeah concealment provides a good tactical advantage (if it is fitted right and non see-able through the shirt) but I rather see the good guys and girls wear something rather than nothing.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Here's an idea; make it a mandatory equipment item, the same as a pistol and portable radio. Problem solved.

That's making an awful lot of unfounded assumptions.....I think I'll err on the side of caution and common sense and wear it under my shirt.

18. changeover

Delta, arent alot of departments making it mandatory now?

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

None that I know of around here.

20. changeover

Hmmm, could have sworn a few were. Maybe they were colleges?

21. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Beg , borrow, sell the wifes engagement ring, use the kids college fund but have unexpired well fitting body armor if youre working patrol,details. Too many officers have been killed and injured when there was no fucking need.

pahapoika and Delta784 like this.
  22. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Some are as there is a grant that is avail right now for body armor. If you dept. takes that grant there is supposed to be a Dept. policy that anyone issued a vest must wear it in order to receive the grant.

I know a few MA depts. went to allowing armor to be worn on the outside in one of those carriers is posted ( I believe Somerville was one or some other town that began with an "S") as there was some complaints from some officers about comfort and that was the work around.

23. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

For anyone applying to a recently posted position in a small non-CS department on the South Shore, there is a mandatory vest policy. If you won't wear a vest, don't apply.

And yes, we are authorized to wear "outside" armor carriers.

24. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Hard to enforce, unless the departments are on-board with it.

If I were in charge of such things, I would require every uniformed officer leaving roll call to pass by a sergeant, who would poke each one lightly in the chest. No vest, either go get it, or you can either use a vacation day or go home with no pay, because you're not working the street.

sgthoskins likes this.
  26. changeover

I like the way you think