Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some comments from the field....

Regarding the G.L. c. 90 s.7E bill in the legislature (see the Law Review thread), I wanted to know if this is a law that officers would like to use rather than using 540 CMR 22.07. Obviously 90:7E doesn't cover all aftermarket lights, so it won't replace the CMR. I look at it as another tool to use on those who need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BD1 said:

Regarding the G.L. c. 90 s.7E bill in the legislature (see the Law Review thread), I wanted to know if this is a law that officers would like to use rather than using 540 CMR 22.07. Obviously 90:7E doesn't cover all aftermarket lights, so it won't replace the CMR. I look at it as another tool to use on those who need it.
I ussually use the chapter 90 over the CMR when there is a chose between the two no reason why though just what i have always done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BD1 said:

Remember that your city/town has to accept CMR's in order to enforce them. I think it's safer to just use 90-7E.

Also keep in mind that if someone actually uses blue/red lights to make a traffic stop or any other enforcement action, you can use 268-33, Falsely Assuming to be a Public Official. Although it's a misdemeanor with no statutory right of arrest, I think a fake traffic stop would more than amount to a breach of the peace, giving you right of arrest, in your presence.

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
Remember that your city/town has to accept CMR's in order to enforce them. I think it's safer to just use 90-7E.
Not true, 540CMR are RMV violations. 720CMRs have to be issued on roads that are state roads or connect to a state road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts