Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any officer's experiences with the various courts on the issue of the use of blue, red, etc. on all these civilian vehicles. Esp. on the windshield cleaner dispensers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by masstroopers1:
Without doing a heckofalotta research, what jumps to mind first is that as far as I know, none of these aftermarket lights are DOT approved. Not sure if it's 90-07 or a CMR (think it's a CMR) but you can gig them for a non-DOT light. Also, even though 90-7E concerns "flashing, roatating, or oscillating" lights, there is nothing in the MGL which PERMITS the use of a red lamp facing forward, only white. You can probably throw a 90-7 "Improper lighting" type of V at them and see what the court says on appeal...
There is a 540 CMR 22 something that talks about those lights. I had posted it before. I have it in my cite book in my cruiser.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I figure it's safe to assume that red and blue lights on any non emergency vehicle would lead to some violation of some sort...what about headlight wigwags and/or traffic backers(which alternate the brake and reverse lights). What is the standard for the use/installation of those ?

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
I used to do sub contract work for the state doing traffic surveys and accident data collection, I had strobes in the front and rear directionals and rear deck lights (red, green and yellow) I hired a few details while placing out the ATR's (Automatic Traffic Recorders) Those long rubber tubes that everyone thinks is a speed trap. I never had anyone question me on them but I did not use them while moving either. Most of the time the ATR's where placed out at late hours in the dark when traffic was low so lights where a must.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with banshee, gig them and let them fight it. This is a little off of the topic and I'm not sure on the chapter and section but I'm pretty sure there is a $200.00 gig for any non-police/emergency vehicle with any type of forward facing blue light displayed on the vehicle. I will check my cruiser book and let you know the Ch./s. and the exact wording on the law.

This could easily be applied to the Connecticut volunteer firefighters who feel it necessary to go out and buy a $1000.00 fully functional cruiser light bar to strap on the top of their personal vehicle just to respond to a fire that they aren’t getting paid to fight.

P.S. Not knocking volunteer fire fighters, because we need them. I just can’t stand the few who turn their own vehicles into rescue trucks to speed to fire scenes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by patsfan:

This could easily be applied to the Connecticut volunteer firefighters who feel it necessary to go out and buy a $1000.00 fully functional cruiser light bar to strap on the top of their personal vehicle just to respond to a fire that they aren't getting paid to fight.
Wouldn't they have a permit from their chief authorizing them to have the equipment, therefore allowing them to have the lights? I know CT/NJ/NY have non-traditional colors (blue=volunteer, red=paid, no matter what you are doing), which is a bit strange.

In any case, you could nail them if they turned them on for non-responding reasons.

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
I've been on a number of ride alongs with the PD in Middletown, Connecticut, and the way the Sgt. explained it to me was this: the volunteer firefighters are given permission to have the blue dash lights by the police departments. However, they still have to obey all traffic laws (including speed limits) when responding to a call! So I say, what's the point of giving them the lights at all? You're just asking them to break the rules.

·
Registered
665 Posts
This light question depends on your DA and court, what will they allow. The law states under 90-7E (300.00) That it has to be oscilating rotating or flashing. Now having the ability to be flashing, depending on the level of the offense is how you write the citation. Some courts will take that having toggle swithches easily accessible to the operator allows it to be flashing under that law. The operator can flash it on and off, of course they always turn it off when they see you. That is for the hood lights etc that are blue and red. If all else fails, write it under a CMR.
You have to write the chapeter and section as 90-31. Look it up if you don't know. and then in your discription area on your citation, write in 540 CMR 22.09 (after market lights improper) 35.00

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Ok not to get too far off the subject here but...

I can remember doing a traffic survey for the new Acela line for Amtrak, I was doing some work in Deep River CT. and kept seeing personal cars sporting solid blue light bars. At first I thought it was an attempt for the town to save money using personal cars for patrol cars but then stopped into Wheelen to pick up some lenses for the van. I was shocked when I pulled into the parking lot. There had to be 20 plus cars all decked out with strobe bars rear decks etc.. most where blue light bars It looked kinda funny an 85 Dodge Omni sporting a light bar that was probably worth more than the car it was mounted on. The guy behind the parts counter explained it to me as Blue=EMT Green= Paramedic Red=Fire and Blue and Red=Police and most of the folks that work there are volunteers in one dept or an other.

And what's up with those departments using running lights in the light bar? I think it was Torrington CT they run dim but very noticeable red and blue running lights at each end of the light bar.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by Gil:
And what's up with those departments using running lights in the light bar? I think it was Torrington CT they run dim but very noticeable red and blue running lights at each end of the light bar.
That's another Connecticut oddity... I have seen CTSP cruisers with those also. Kinda makes them easy to see at night... :rolleyes:

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Yeah, a lot of towns and the SP in Connecticut use the red and blue running lights to increase police visibility. Obviously, if a trooper is running radar, he turns them off ;) . As for the solid blue light bars, volunteer firefighters in CT can be given permission to put light bars on their POVs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hit them for the impropper lighting. The blue light vio. won't stick. The lights are not technically "blue" they are a flouresant white (like those damn audi headlights). On top of that they are not flashing or ocillating. The clerk's office had informed me that they are an impropper lighing and should follow under that corrisponding law.

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
I have notice more and more city and town officers using blue and red storbes in their vehicles rear windows while doing road details. i'm sure not everyone ran out and applied for the blue light permit. And of course, they are in their towns, so who is really going to say anything.

For the added lights you see on more and more of the low rider vehicles in many areas, such as Jamaica Plain,Chelsea,lowell etc. Well my friends, that's where the Registry Police came in. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thought unless you had a blue/red light permit it was illegal to mount, affix or display red/blues on your vehicle. If that is not the case than couldn't any dope put a blue/red strobe on the dash, visor or in the grill so long as they are not powered up.

Chapt 90: section 7E states that a person cannot mount or display flashing, rotating or oscillating red/blue lights without a permit.

As for the kids with the blue or red led lights on their wipers or on the window washer dispense port. Don't wipers oscillate "swing back and forwards or travel back and forth between two points" Wouldn't that be an oscilatting light if affixed to the actual wiper. It would be a flashing light if affixed to the dispense port because every time the wiper is on it causes a flash after the wiper passes the light.

so it may be possible to get folks on two gigs affixed/displayed and oscillating/flashing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How about motorcycles with headlight modulators and strobes. Also what about motorcycle riders with earplugs? Anybody knowledgeable in this area.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LOL! Read closer... he said 'came in'... as in past tense, my friend! [/b]
Opps I guess thats why I should not read these post when Im working a double, you miss little things like. Sorry about that and Thanks Tomahawk for showning me the light :D [/b]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts