Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all of you police officers,

according to everything I have read and seen here regarding this you all state that you will pull over and ticket someone for having these one while operation on the road. I looked up the MGL 90 sec 7 and CMR 540 on this and was very confused in what it was saying.

So i made a phone call to the Mass RMV inspection division in Boston. Phone # 617-351-9345.

They have clarified this for me. And stated that has long has these lights are not flashing, oslighting, or strobes.
That they are completely legal. These lights are considered accent/clearance lights just like on a Tractor trailer.

Feedback is requested on this

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
In my unhumble opinion, you are asking for trouble. Stick to amber or red (to the rear). But hey, don't take my word for it. Let us know how it works out for ya.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actilully i know who i talked to and she has a very high position there. my father used to work at this division and gave me his old bosses direct phone# that i would not post due to reasons you would all have to understand. but they are the Director of the dept. so i would think that this person understands this law.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are not forward facing lights just lights that are in behind the front ferring and subframe, also on the rear swing arm to ligt up the rear tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my lights do not face forward. and also the person i spoke with at the RMV is a director that has been working there for 15 years plus.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You are always on thin ice adding ANY aftermarket lighting..I wouldn't suggest it because you'll never be right....and I know when I bought MY Harley it didn't have blue lights on it....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so far this has proved to me that most of you are a bunch of .... i am only trying to be in my legal rights and see what you think... evenditlly you all have the i.q's of a 10 year old based on the fact of some of these replies so far. i have gotten a copy of a letter from the RMV stating that these are legal the way they are displaied on the bike so i welcome any tickets that i could possible get over this, the courts cant argue with that and all of you officers that think there gonna boost the ticket ammounts due to this will be saidly awakened.

G

·
Hey DOUCHE.......... If you can afford to miss time from Cuntbag High every week to go to court, keep flossing your stunner bike with your blue LEDs. Instead of bringing your letter to court, maybe you can bring the lady who you cant identify with you and she can tell the judge how to do HIS job just as you have done with US. Maybe she is cool enough to tell you what OSCILLATION is. Have fun lenghtening your KQ. See you around the mall. You probably chill with your crooked baseball cap wearing homies in my food court.

·
Grand Admin Commander
688 Posts
If you are going to come on to this website and accuse us of having the I.Q. of a ten year old do me one favor. LEARN HOW TO SPELL DIPLAYED CORRECTLY, otherwise you look like a fool, or maybe a fool that I will soon be pulling over.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
so far this has proved to me that most of you are a bunch of .... i am only trying to be in my legal rights and see what you think... evenditlly you all have the i.q's of a 10 year old based on the fact of some of these replies so far. i have gotten a copy of a letter from the RMV stating that these are legal the way they are displaied on the bike so i welcome any tickets that i could possible get over this, the courts cant argue with that and all of you officers that think there gonna boost the ticket ammounts due to this will be saidly awakened.
That's just inviting a flaming dude, but hey, I tried to help. I've known a few guys to cite for the illegal display of the blue light. I usually cite for the CMR. Specifically 540CMR22.07 "Non-complaint aftermarket lighting".

This covers the ricer neon, LED, whatever you want to light your ride up with. Basically, if it didn't come from the factory that way, it's non compliant. If you still insist on installing these, why not have a cut off switch and while you are parked displaying your motorcycle, turn them on?

It doesn't matter what the lady from the RMV says, it's individual officer interpretation. By the time you fight the tickets you are sure to get, you'll have wasted more time in court than anything else. This is likely the least problematic response you'll get on this thread fella.

**EDIT** While I was typing this out, you did get flamed. toldja

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
It never fails.
The question is asked and answered, but when the answer doesn't suit them they start an argument.

If learning the hard way is your goal IB6, your on the right path.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
I have a fairly good idea who you spoke to. This is the same section within the RMV that asked me to review their info. guide to lights (red, blue, amber, after market, et al) a few years ago. It was then sent back with questions, corrections, etc.

I dont know it all. But I know this.

Claiming to be told such and such regarding lights displayed, by the RMV, was tried and failed at an appeal before a single Justice in District Court several years ago. When the claim was raised during the hearing, the Judge granted me a short recess to call the RMV. Within 20 minutes I had 2 letters from the same section and RMV General Counsel contradicting the violator's claim. Responsible.

It was tried again a few times since with the same failure.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
When you get cited for the lights have your buddy from RMV come in and testify in court. I'm sure with her high position and your conections with the RMV they will probably have the officer pay the ticket. Oh ya, if the officer, writing you, doesn't have his hat on the ticket is NO GOOD. Just throw it back in his face.
:jestera:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts