Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, while talking to some of our COs from CA, they said they were able to submit paperwork to block some info that comes up if their license plates were run. The point of this was to keep inmates' visitors, that see us come and go in the parking lot, from getting an address on us. Is this an option in MA?

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
Your buddy was right about us here in California. We submit a form to our version of the Registry and both our license plates and our driver's license come back to our names and the department we work for.

For example, my plate and driver license would come back as:

John Doe
Los Angeles Police Department

That way if any of the dirtbags out there have friends or relatives that work at the Registry, they can't find out where we live. We've had this for many years. Maybe your folks should contact the Registry folks and have them start it there.

Also, if an officer decides to run our plate prior to pulling us over (as should always be done), they'll know they're most likely dealing with a police officer.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
There are ways to do it. I've stopped some state employees from various agencies in their PCs who had no info available. Maybe a friend at the RMV?

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
You can apply for "private" plates that come back with no information other than "active". I had them on an unmarked once. I don't know how we went about getting them, I inherited the car when I got the job.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You need to fill out an application with a letter requesting it from your chief of police or other invetigative federal or state agency. The letter must explain why you need it and the appropriate form has to be completed. After that you are either issued a new plate or confidentialize the other plate. It's more and more common lately as officers use their POVs during certain police functions such as responding to scenes, etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you think about it having your plate private is a waste. If someonme wants to know where you live , all they have to do is follow you home.

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
drewpopo said:
if you think about it having your plate private is a waste. If someonme wants to know where you live , all they have to do is follow you home.
I have to disagree, it is not a waste. I would hope that as officers we are always on our guard. That includes both on and off-duty and when you drive out of the station parking lot in your personal vehicle. You never know who is watching....

About 15 years ago, we had a fairly new officer who was followed from her station parking lot to her home. She had worked almost 17 hours, including OT, which obviously made her tired. She didn't notice the car with the three gangsters following her. When she got out of her car to go into her home, she was confronted by two of them, one of which was armed. She was shot in the chest but was still able to return fire and kill the armed suspect. The others were all captured a short time later. (The officer thankfully survived.)

Point being that it always behooves you to be on your guard no matter where you are and it's still a good idea to have your plate private.

·
Registered
121 Posts
LA Copper said:
I have to disagree, it is not a waste. I would hope that as officers we are always on our guard. That includes both on and off-duty and when you drive out of the station parking lot in your personal vehicle. You never know who is watching....

About 15 years ago, we had a fairly new officer who was followed from her station parking lot to her home. She had worked almost 17 hours, including OT, which obviously made her tired. She didn't notice the car with the three gangsters following her. When she got out of her car to go into her home, she was confronted by two of them, one of which was armed. She was shot in the chest but was still able to return fire and kill the armed suspect. The others were all captured a short time later. (The officer thankfully survived.)

Point being that it always behooves you to be on your guard no matter where you are and it's still a good idea to have your plate private.
Is the information database so porous that someone not in an official capacity can obtain this information easily?

Would you be inclined to afford this same level of privacy to individual citizens for their personal security?
If not, why not?

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
NFAfan said:
Is the information database so porous that someone not in an official capacity can obtain this information easily?

Would you be inclined to afford this same level of privacy to individual citizens for their personal security?
If not, why not?
Why do you ask?

·
Registered
121 Posts
LA Copper said:
Why do you ask?
Because I want to know if you or other LEOs think that the security of the average citizen is secondary to that of a LEO under similar circumstances. Whats your answer?

·
Registered
847 Posts
NFAfan said:
Because I want to know if you or other LEOs think that the security of the average citizen is secondary to that of a LEO under similar circumstances. Whats your answer?
Dear dickhead, officers gets these plates blocked because they might be using their POV in such activities as responding to a hostage situation, SWAT team,or other investigative purposes. It protects them because they are using their car to respond for an incident, etc. If they had an assigned cruiser then their plate would come back to the PD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OutOfManyOne said:
Dear dickhead, officers gets these plates blocked because they might be using their POV in such activities as responding to a hostage situation, SWAT team,or other investigative purposes. It protects them because they are using their car to respond for an incident, etc. If they had an assigned cruiser then their plate would come back to the PD.
And this differs from someone who might have other security concerns of equal magnitude how?

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
NFAfan said:
Are you an officer? I must say, you certainly don't sound like one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What is your answer to my two questions posed?

Whether or not I am an officer has no bearing on either of them.

OutOfManyOne said:
No he is not, he is a gun nut.
Gun nut? C'mon, you can think of something more original than that.

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
NFAfan said:
If you were an officer you would understand.

Law enforcement personnel are the only people (not counting the military) who intentionally put themselves in harm's way to protect people we don't even know. (Since I've been on the job, my department has had 36 officers killed in the line of duty, protecting "the average citizen" that we don't
know.) Law enforcement is the only profession where people intentionally try to hurt or kill us.

The average citizen does not have anything to do with putting a criminal behind bars for a lengthy period of time... Or taking an addict away from his dope for a long time...

As a general rule, the average citizen doesn't have his/her life and the live's of their families threatened by every other bad guy they come in contact with. As a matter of fact, the average citizen doesn't even come into contact with bad guys! But if they do, who do they call? Not the plumber, not the car salesman, not the computer tech, they call the police, that's who! Point being that even if it's the average citizen who has his life threatened, the police are still going to get involved.

·
Subscribing Member
927 Posts
LA Copper don't even waste your time. This guy clearly doesn't get it.
Typical citizen response: "why not me?" "me, me, me"

·
Registered
121 Posts
LA Copper said:
If you were an officer you would understand.

Law enforcement personnel are the only people (not counting the military) who intentionally put themselves in harm's way to protect people we don't even know. (Since I've been on the job, my department has had 36 officers killed in the line of duty, protecting "the average citizen" that we don't
know.) Law enforcement is the only profession where people intentionally try to hurt or kill us.

The average citizen does not have anything to do with putting a criminal behind bars for a lengthy period of time... Or taking an addict away from his dope for a long time...

As a general rule, the average citizen doesn't have his/her life and the live's of their families threatened by every other bad guy they come in contact with. As a matter of fact, the average citizen doesn't even come into contact with bad guys! But if they do, who do they call? Not the plumber, not the car salesman, not the computer tech, they call the police, that's who! Point being that even if it's the average citizen who has his life threatened, the police are still going to get involved.
Points taken and you are correct, most people may never come in contact with someone trying to kill them, but many do.....hence you are employed.
But as a matter of prevention, would you support affording the same level of privacy to the average citizen under similar circumstances?

Your above answer seems to lean towards a no, which inclines me to believe that the average citizen's security is secondary to that of a LEO concerning the privacy issue of license plates, when faced with similar circumstances.

MM1799 said:
LA Copper don't even waste your time. This guy clearly doesn't get it.
Typical citizen response: "why not me?" "me, me, me"
Typical citizen response? I take it you think YOU are not a typical citizen? Get over yourself. Don't let the badge and gun you carry fool you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts