Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me get this off my chest-is there anything more of an embarrassment than colleagues that wear black sneakers on duty? What kind of image is perceived by the general public? While I'm at it-these new duty belt suspenders? We're police officers not dock workers. Just needed to vent. P.S.-no offense intended to the dock workers reading this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it may all depend. I personally would not wear sneakers when on duty (with the exception of when I'm on bike patrol). I like wearing boots and I think boots add a certain level of support and even comfort. But I do know some guys (and gals) that wear sneakers. Now, it's all in the "look". If a guy's uniform looks like s**t, then the sneakers add to the level of s**tness. But if the guy takes care of his uniform and wears it with pride then he can usually pull off wearing sneakers and it doesn't look bad.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it ;) .

·
Registered
561 Posts
Even on bike patrol, there are some decent boots you can get if you want. Granted, they are not high-gloss parade leathers, but they are more than sneakers! I wear Magnum Midnite's on bike patrol; others had the Hi-Tec's. Very comfortable and works well on the bike.

Suspenders? Oooook... :confused:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
It seems a lot of Depts in Washington state wear suspenders. It actually looks pretty good if the officer squares his/her uniform away.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A while ago I saw a Braintree cop wearing black Spot-Bilts in uniform. I'll agree with ofcpm that this particular officer looked real squared away, uniform pressed, in shape, leather gear was neat and in good condition, so he pulled it off, looked okay :cool: . Besides, I've worn black Spot-Bilts for years and I can attest that they're extremely comforable
...and no, I'm not that Braintree cop.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright fine, I can see where this is going. Have fun on your ride on the bandwagon-but for the record they still look like crap. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
While we're on the topic of uniform let me say this. I believe there is a certain "image" you have to keep up when in the public eye so to speak. So if your running around with un professional looking sneakers then what does that say about you ?
Whats wrong with some people,afraid of getting Kiwi on your fingers? It might kill them to spend some time on shining their boots once in awhile.
There are plenty of professional looking boots out there that are just as comfortable as sneakers....
but hey who am i to say ,just an observation

·
Registered
157 Posts
Once again... INF, you forgot to say "in my humble opinion". Just because one individual believes black sneakers to be unprofessional, doesn't necessarily make it so
. By the way, when I'm working, I'm wearing leather-lustered Bates zip ups. Homey don't play the Kiwi polish anymore.

·
Registered
55 Posts
sorry Joe B. ..well " in my oppinion" i guess what i meant to have said is that basically that sneakers fail to bring that "professional" look to any uniform regardless of the job..but of course that is "in my oppinion" but remember im just a lonely ole vet and what do i know about uniforms ya know

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Hey INF,

How do you keep the Leather Luster from getting all "Liney". I've been using it for awhile now, and it's been fine, but I noticed on the last application that it's starting to build up some ridges. I think it's time to take it down to the bare leather and start over again. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey Pearl,
Well i have never used anything but kiwi on my boots, but every once in awhile you should strip all the polish off and start from scratch. I start to notice the build up usually after a month or so..
its a pain ,but its also your rep

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Yeah, sure, appearance is important. However, so are your feet; most people need them. If an officer is doing 8 or more hours while standing on their feet, why not wear the most comfortable shoes? In fact, on a day to day basis, why not, as long as they blend in with the uniform? Wearing uncomfortable shoes or boots can screw up the nerves, muscles, and bones in your feet. I'm not saying they should be wearing Reeboks to ceremonies and such, obviously that would be innapropriate. For the day to day stuff, especially people who stand for long periods or have walking beats, I say why not. Unless an officer is wearing fuzzy pink bunny slippers, do you really think the public is looking at their feet (don't answer this question from an L.E./military viewpoint)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, so I'm going to stick to mine
. If a particular officer can pull off the black sneakers look, then good for him/her. As I said before it's not my particular choice, I wear Bates, but I have seen a few officers that have made the sneakers fit in just fine. To each their own, everyone should be comfortable in their fit as well as their appearance :cool: .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.