Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Dig contractor gets FEMA contract

Perhaps its time somebody got the folks at the Federal Emergency Management Agency a television set. Or a subscription to a newspaper. Or a window that shows at least part of the world outside of their offices.

In its most recent example of government efficiency, FEMA has selected construction company Bechtel National - which has shown its skill at building watertight structures as part of Boston's leaky Big Dig project -to build temporary dry shelter for victims of Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi.

Obviously no one at FEMA reads the Boston Herald, either.

The Herald reported that Bechtel has thus far built 4,995 units in Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties in Mississippi.

Brenda Thompson, a spokeswoman for Bechtel, told the Herald that the contract is an "interim agreement" with FEMA and that the exact value of the contract has not been released.

When asked by the Herald whether hurricane victims could trust structures built by the contractor given its poor track record with the Big Dig, Thompson did not respond.

But the move has state officials in Massachusetts scratching their heads.

"If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny," Jordan Levy, board member of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, told the Herald. "I wouldn't be giving them contracts."

Massachusetts state Sen. Mark Montigny, D-New Bedford, had much harsher words.

"I would say to the American taxpayer: 'watch your wallet,'" he told the Herald. "And I would say to the vulnerable that are so-called being served, 'watch the roof over your head.'"

Montigny also said Bechtel squandered millions of dollars on the Big Dig but still got the FEMA contract because the company is - in his words - "in bed" with the president and Congress.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Nice. Watch these roofs leak like a mo'fo'. FEMA = Idiots. They're the reason LE and Military have been doing so much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.