Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Why do you need firearms in a hospital where you open and lock doors and do an occasional restraint? Boston PD and MSP is always around there, as well as MUNI, HOUSING PD and others. I feel sorry for all the guys that left real departments to go there, what a SHAFT!
Now I cant speak for BIDMC officers, but I work at the NEMC, and even though we do alot of the typical hospital bullshit (restraints, unlocks, etc.) we find and seize narcotics on almost a daily basis, in addition to fighting the local shitbags like its going out of style. Not to mention the Roxy and the other nightclub crowds causing the near riots in our garage every weekend. In the last 2 weeks we had 3 people stabbed, and brawls requiring A-1, D-4, and MBTA Police response to contain the fighting. Between NEMC and BPD officers we had 10 arrests. We had 15 arrests on campus just in October and November. Most of them were disorderly, drugs, or warrants, but nonetheless, its busy. Thats not counting the dozens of arrests that we dont make because its not worth the time or manpower. If we arrested every shitbag that is smoking crack, shooting up or stealing things inside the hospital, BPD would get real tired of holding our prisoners. Just FYI, ask around, BPD is not quick to respond unless you use the word GUN when you call them. Otherwise, youre looking at a delayed response no matter what.

Just to clarify, Im not saying that we should have guns. I know there is no way in hell that NEMC is getting firearms. However, they did have them at one point, way before my time. There are only a few people at NEMC that would be qualified to carry, and for that matter, that I would feel comforatable being around while they were armed.

In closing let me add that, I know being hospital "cops" isnt the most glamorous job in the world, but at least give us the respect enough not to make ignorant statements about what you perceive to be our duties...ie - "in a hospital where you open and lock doors and do an occasional restraint?"

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.