Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All !

Any thoughts on good Auxiliary programs?
I know quite a few towns/ cites have them.
Some of the programs I've heard about like waltham and lowell don't seem to do much or have any authority. What about other Depts ?

Any thoughts on bad programs ??

·
Registered
456 Posts
My understanding is that Wayland's program is a stand-out with excellent training, well equipped. They expect a lot from those that they appoint.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here I am... and yup... I have nothing but praise for the WAPD.... Not only because they gave me my start... but because I can honestly say that they are among the top auxiliary units in the state. If you are on the WAPD you must take your position and training seriously... 100%

http://wpaa.homestead.com/Index.html

There's the website to check out.

Basically all Officers must complete the Reserve Academy, certified in OC, baton etc... When I was there we also did about a week of firearms training on top of the basic qualification.

Duties include ride alongs w/ regulars, two man x-ray units, special events etc. You are treated fairly and in response to how you perform. If you show you are professional and are there for the right reasons... the regulars are happy to help you along.

Hope that helps... oh on a side note... I know they just hired 5 or 6 guys... so they may be closed for a while... but it never hurts to contact them if you're interested.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard good things about Wayland also...

I can speak from personal experience about Randolph...that is an OK dept and you do have police powers in the town. However, as in any town, the regular dept. calls the shots. As for assisting on calls...they are hot and cold. In the past, when the union has had issues (i.e., protesting for more $$ in the budget), they have shut out the aux. and not used them for anything. I hear it's better - for now.

Wherever you go, make sure you are going to a town where you have police powers! Unfortunately, I ended up in a town where the aux does not have powers...I wasn't given the whole story about that at the time I joined. Insist on getting that information - you are donating your valuable time, so you might as well get the most out of it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts