Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is random but im sitting at work, bored out of my miiind. just wondering what most departments have for a schedule. im not a cop, merely a dispatcher ;), but i have a 4-2 with rotating days off...straight overnights. is this the norm? i know our guys work a night/overnight split shift, so is that how it's usually done? again, just wondering

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
Hey Snipe, how do you get that schedule? I'd like to try that one.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
[m not a cop, merely a dispatcher First off your job is very important, dont forget that!! I find the best schedule to be the one that best suits your personal life..being able to see your familey and friends but still make a good paycheck...

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
It took me almost 10 years to get Mon thru Fri days. Sometime you just don't have a choice as to what shift you get. The only good things about the 2nd, 3rd and weekend shifts is that it is busier. Thank you 7 for saying that. Dispatchers do have an important job but you guys put your life on the line day after day.

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
Im not a cop, merely a dispatcher
First off your job is very important, dont forget that!! I find the best schedule to be the one that best suits your personal life..being able to see your familey and friends but still make a good paycheck...
Agreed, on both counts. Dispatchers are a very important part of the family!!
I used to love working the overnight shift (my favorite - 1600 to 0400 hrs), but now that I'm involved in so many things on my days off, I found that nights became way too hard on the personal life. For now, my dept. has a choice between 10 hr shifts, four days a week, or 13 hr shifts, three days a week with a "make up day" about once a month. Either way, you always have the same days off, and we bid for shifts quarterly. Really, it's whatever works best for you!

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
I like those options, especially the 13 hr days. Does it work out well and how long have you gone w/that type of schedule? How many people do you need to make that work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. ah i would kill for that 13 hr shift. as for the overnights, i really dont mind them that much..actually kinda like them!

and i was just being a wise ass with the "just a dispatcher" comment :) im proud of what i do. thanks again~

G

·
I work mids - 11-7, 4/2 and have for 8 years total. (I did a year on days to force ex hubby to be more involved with the kids - yeah that failed)

For me, mids is the best shift, though my seniority would let me work any shift I choose - mids lets me be home for the kids various daytime emergencies.

I'd switch to Eves when they're gone but there's less brass around on mids and I have the absolute BEST coworkers.

Nice to see the support we "just a dispatcher"'s are getting from the sworn though. :p

Thanks guys!
days........ nights..... either way you are looking out for your "kids". some are just not related by blood. thanks for all that you do.

G

·
Right now I work 4-Midnight and love it; you can work details or attend family functions during the day, call volume is high so it rarely gets boring, and the night differential is nice. Then again, my kids start full-day school (1st grade) next year, so a change might be mandated then so I can spend time with them.

When I was single and in my 20's, I loved the first/last rotation, but I don't think I could do it now as I inch towards my mid-40's. I'd explain the rotation, but I don't feel like getting a headache right now. :p

·
Registered
528 Posts
during the summer months I try to work the 2 days on and 4 days off schedule..nothing like swapping shifts and vacation days

·
Subscribing Member
3,429 Posts
The vast majority of our detectives work a 4/10 schedule with weekends and holidays off, although there are three detectives assigned to work nights and weekends at each division.

All of our patrol work a 3/12 schedule. The best thing about our days off is that we can pick what days off we want (for the most part) rather than being told what days off we're going to have.

We work off a 28 day deployment period (DP). On a 3/12 schedule, that gives us 13 working days and 15 days off. Prior to the start of the next DP, we put in a days off request slip and pick whatever days off we want!

We also don't have to stay on midnights for years if we don't want to. No matter how much time you have on the job, you can still move around to a different watch every six months if you so desire. This is good for morale and allows you to have different experiences. For example, there aren't too many bank robberies working midnights and there aren't too many drive by shootings at noon (although there are some).

·
Registered
601 Posts
We have 4 days on 4 days off schedule. You work 10 Hr days and every shift is overlapping. When I come in at 9p to work 9p to 7a there is already a shift on so every shift overlaps giving the dept coverage at the busiest times. It took a while getting used to 10 hrs days but once you do having 4 days off is nice.

·
Subscribing Member
214 Posts
I'm going to make all of you jealous right now....
This is the schedule I work....
[7] (wed-wed) 11-7;
[4] days off;
[5] (mon-fri) 3-11;
[2] days off;
[4] (mon-thur) 7-3 [3] (fri-sun) 3-11;
[3] days off;
[5] (thur-mon) 7-3;
[2] days off
Repeat from the top.... This is the schedule all the guys that work the road follow..... I told you I would make you jealous, NOT!!!!!

G

·
I'm going to make all of you jealous right now....
This is the schedule I work....
[7] (wed-wed) 11-7;
[4] days off;
[5] (mon-fri) 3-11;
[2] days off;
[4] (mon-thur) 7-3 [3] (fri-sun) 3-11;
[3] days off;
[5] (thur-mon) 7-3;
[2] days off
Repeat from the top.... This is the schedule all the guys that work the road follow..... I told you I would make you jealous, NOT!!!!!
Who the hell thought up that clusterfuck??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts