Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
After the Northeastern PD twitter/instagram fiasco I’d put them a close second to Berklee in departments to avoid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are other state university/community college PD's allowed to join regional mutual aid agreements or is UMA only allowed to?

It is pertinent to UMass only as the Western MA Agreement falls under MGL 40/8G which allows cities and towns to enter into mutual aid agreements.

That being said, Im sure some colleges/Uni's have an MOU with their local department, and some are probably sworn as specials/reserves for the local agency.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don’t remember the exact wording but Command Staff calling out an officer for parking illegally on Columbus Ave and the subsequent “talking to” he received. I will see if I have it saved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don’t remember the exact wording but Command Staff calling out an officer for parking illegally on Columbus Ave and the subsequent “talking to” he received. I will see if I have it saved.
Haha. I remember that....public apology for a minor parking snafu in Boston where most "creatively" park. Gimme a break. Got a good laugh from the comments as well.

On the MOU topic, there's tons of college PDs who have formal agreements. I know BC, BU and Harvard use to run a joint car together, BPDs "gang car", to curtail off campus student issues. The big college departments around the city also have a MOU for mutual support as it relates to big events or deployment of the COBRA unit. At the end of the day though, college PDs inherently exist as a selling point for the big $$$ education ticket. There's some PDs that will let you be proactive but there's also some very solid parameters in place...as there should be because ultimately calls for service relating to non student related/off campus property is the responsibility of the municipality. Be happy with the job you take, don't try to turn it in to something its not. I say that with respect to all the PDs out there.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,755 Posts
I believe Bridgwater State is part of SEMLEC and has mutual aid agreements with all the Bridgewater's.
Yes and part of WEB Task force as well. Some quality take downs over the years.

·
Registered
551 Posts
POST now requires all colleges to have MOU's with the community they are located in.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Southern Campus Cop
148 Posts
Obviously being a cop in NC, I’m not entirely qualified to comment on MA, but in my experience, state universities are the way to go. I worked for a city for a little bit then went to a private college when I relocated since said private college was the one who was able to hire me first. I stayed there for about a year and moved to a state university in a neighboring big city. I actually made a little bit more working private, but I would have had to work until I was about 68 to be able to have a decent retirement. With the state I’ll be out at 51 and doing well in retirement. On top of that, state employees have certain protections from being fired here, whereas at a private college I could basically get fired if I looked at the wrong person the wrong way.

I also found the private side to be a bit too political. Obviously we still deal with politics at a state school, but when I was private I was regularly told to request the DA throw out citations that I wrote because the cited person was related to or knew someone who was a big donor to the college. Students were pretty much untouchable by policy and they knew it, so they’d act like shits and treat us like rent a cops because they knew all we’d really be able to do is send them to student conduct. Working for the state, there’s no problem locking up shitty students. Of course, results may vary based on school.

Plus having LEOSA again is a huge plus. State gets it, private doesn’t.

If possible, I find the best is a big-ish state university in a big city. We have expanded jurisdiction at my agency, and regularly run calls and make stops off campus. I make more arrests here then I did when I worked for a small-ish city, and I’ve gotten a lot more experience with a variety of calls and investigations.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,508 Posts
Northeastern is great and Harvard is emerging from Dark Times where EVERYONE was totally miserable due to an insane dictator running the show. He's left and a new dawn is said to be breaking thanks to new leadership.

That's what I've heard.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,508 Posts
Haha. I remember that....public apology for a minor parking snafu in Boston where most "creatively" park. Gimme a break. Got a good laugh from the comments as well.

On the MOU topic, there's tons of college PDs who have formal agreements. I know BC, BU and Harvard use to run a joint car together, BPDs "gang car", to curtail off campus student issues. The big college departments around the city also have a MOU for mutual support as it relates to big events or deployment of the COBRA unit. At the end of the day though, college PDs inherently exist as a selling point for the big $$$ education ticket. There's some PDs that will let you be proactive but there's also some very solid parameters in place...as there should be because ultimately calls for service relating to non student related/off campus property is the responsibility of the municipality. Be happy with the job you take, don't try to turn it in to something its not. I say that with respect to all the PDs out there.
There is and never been an MOU between Harvard and any municipality nor has a Cambridge or Boston Cop ever ridden with a Harvard Cop, so I've been told. The cooperation in the past several years has been outstanding, and Harvard's bike cops have participated in the group efforts in recent years, though that may end as whiney student dissidents are becoming more vocal.

At least the place has a terrific new Chief, unlike the despicable swine who ran the place (into the ground) for 26 horrible years, so I've been told. I heard many hope he dies a slow, horrible death, but that's just rumor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Northeastern is great and Harvard is emerging from Dark Times where EVERYONE was totally miserable due to an insane dictator running the show. He's left and a new dawn is said to be breaking thanks to new leadership.

That's what I've heard.
I really hope that's the case.

What's the good word about Tufts? Run into a few of them at trainings before. Seems like a solid gig.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts