Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious with all this reform going on etc. etc. what are the best colleges around in regarding to pay, shift schedule, benefits, retirement and equipment. I figure with a lot of colleges losing people to towns there might be some more incentive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd say your state colleges, you get the state benefits, free tuition. If you are at a community college, most don't work nights, holidays or weekends. Pretty sweet if you ask me. Starting at a CPO 1 is between 46k and 51k right now. So 22 to 24 and change an hour before overtime and such.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just curious with all this reform going on etc. etc. what are the best colleges around in regarding to pay, shift schedule, benefits, retirement and equipment. I figure with a lot of colleges losing people to towns there might be some more incentive.
UMass Police Departments, more notably, UMass Amherst.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
UMass Police Departments, more notably, UMass Amherst.
I was at their department recently and I was impressed. I think they have an in-house dry cleaning service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WMA7787

·
MassCops Member
345 Posts
Do the State University and College Police Officers qualify under “HR218”/LEOSA upon retirement? (I think cops at private colleges do not.)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I don’t know anything about college policing, but I’m just assuming that the type of college would be a huge factor in how the department is treated and ran. For example, I would think that the students and staff at Westfield State treat their officers differently than say...Berklee College of Music...

·
Registered
62 Posts
UMass Amherst operates much like a municipalty. The department is hiring officers. Feel free to send a PM with any inquires.

·
Registered
883 Posts
UMASS Amherst is probably the best. Next option would be any other UMass school. Followed by BC, MIT, BU, North Eastern. I wasted 5 years of my life at private colleges, when I just should have taken a lower paying state school job to knock the years off my retirement.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,757 Posts
Do the State University and College Police Officers qualify under “HR218”/LEOSA upon retirement? (I think cops at private colleges do not.)
Yes they do. Only caveat is getting the creds upon retirement.
MSP LEOSA Cert#3995

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have an academy and want to make decent coin...I'd go private; there's some great private college agencies like: MIT, BC, BU, Harvard, and Northeastern. It all depends what your driving factor is. Pay...private colleges...I don't know about HUPD, but NUPD, BC, BU and MIT are busy agencies. Retirement/equipment....state colleges as opposed to a 401K. I feel as though equipment at state universities and community colleges is probably better than private colleges because that's the only way Chiefs can hold on to younger cops or there's really no incentive because the pay ain't that great. I am not knocking them, but in comparison to other agencies they are behind.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
145 Posts
I’ve heard interesting things about how umass pds operate as cops throughout their cities/towns, and not just their colleges. I’d love to know more

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’ve heard interesting things about how umass pds operate as cops throughout their cities/towns, and not just their colleges. I’d love to know more
UMass is granted Authority under MGL 75/32A and Chapter 90 which grants police and traffic enforcement authority throughout university grounds.
Under MSL 348 (https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2004/Chapter348) UMass Amherst is considered a munciapity and able to enter into mutual aid agreements.

UMass Amherst is part of the Western MA Mutual Aid agreement which grants police powers (including basic Chapter 90 violations) in each participating agencies jurisdiction. This allows UMass to stop cars or conduct police activity in Amherst and Hadley, However the focus is usually nearest the university property. UMass does not actively patrol or conduct traffic enforcement in the towns of Hadley or Amherst unless requested.

·
Subscribing Member
4,378 Posts
I'd say your state colleges, you get the state benefits, free tuition. If you are at a community college, most don't work nights, holidays or weekends. Pretty sweet if you ask me. Starting at a CPO 1 is between 46k and 51k right now. So 22 to 24 and change an hour before overtime and such.
At Massasoit we were 24/7 365

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, our community college is state. We have great gear and can enforce chapter 90…I wish we were able to do town details though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UMass is granted Authority under MGL 75/32A and Chapter 90 which grants police and traffic enforcement authority throughout university grounds.
Under MSL 348 (Session Law - Acts of 2004 Chapter 348) UMass Amherst is considered a munciapity and able to enter into mutual aid agreements.

UMass Amherst is part of the Western MA Mutual Aid agreement which grants police powers (including basic Chapter 90 violations) in each participating agencies jurisdiction. This allows UMass to stop cars or conduct police activity in Amherst and Hadley, However the focus is usually nearest the university property. UMass does not actively patrol or conduct traffic enforcement in the towns of Hadley or Amherst unless requested.
Are other state university/community college PD's allowed to join regional mutual aid agreements or is UMA only allowed to?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are other state university/community college PD's allowed to join regional mutual aid agreements or is UMA only allowed to?
I believe Bridgwater State is part of SEMLEC and has mutual aid agreements with all the Bridgewater's.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Northeastern pays very well and is busy. BC does zero police work, BU is busy but has had recent turmoil at the top.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts