Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Bentley College is hiring. Does anyone have and info on them like do they carry, good/bad place to work? Thanks!

·
MassCops Member
46 Posts
I heard Bentley College is a great place to work. A friend of mine from SSPO #13 works there. He loves it. I even applied there once, got 2 interviews, but did not get hired. I was so sad.

·
Registered
160 Posts
SOM98";p="57833 said:
I see that Bentley College is hiring. Does anyone have and info on them like do they carry, good/bad place to work? Thanks!
Glock's...Great department. Just got into a new station. The dept. is good sized and is growing fast. Really good relationship with WPD.

John J";p="57836 said:
Do they require a full academy or will they accept a reserve academy with a degree?
Either.....

GOOD LUCK!!

·
MassCops Member
134 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Bentley. By far, it is considered one of the best campuses to work for. From what I've heard, it's also one of the best paying campus PD's around. A friend of mine worked there before they were armed. He only lasted about a week before he figured out that a campus PD wasn't for him, but had nothing but good things to say about the place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is an up and coming department. they currently run 2 officers and a Sgt. minimum every shift, and they're growing pretty fast. they also start off around 17 and change an hour. Got a beautiful new Explorer for the supervisors, a nice low profile cruiser, and two regular cruisers. Talking about getting a motorcycle this year. Plenty of opportunity for overtime. The Chief has brought them a long way in the past few years.

Only tough thing is that they do a lot of reports, and they are very particular about them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How is the job as far as doing police work? Is it like a typical private college that grants the students diplomatic immunity?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heard stories from WPD about wonderful arrests by Bentley such as the girl kicking her friend 4 times on the leg and she got locked up by Bentley officers who attempted to charge her with four counts of ABDW. Also heard about the locking up of 5 kids for 1 joint! I guess they are pretty aggressive.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
A great place to work! If I hadn't been hired full time with the town I'm in, I would have stayed.

Environment is great. The chief and most supervisors are outstanding. The students defiantly do not have immunity! The officer has the option of going either criminal or judicial with students. Often the judicial is swifter and can be pretty painful for the chuckle head(s).

Excellent relations with Waltham PD. Pay has gone up since I left (they review their pay scale every few years). Opportunity for training is there, inservice etc. No Ch 90 but you can pull over for "violation of college rules"; anything you find as a result is OK.

Yes they carry. And a final word; if you do not like writing reports, don't go there to work. With that in mind, I've won cases at my new job based in part on the quality of the report. Their madness has a method!

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Nice, I never knew it was such a good place, I figured it was a typical private college p.d like the one I worked for. Unlocking bUildings and letting the punk kids shit all over the place. Did you get many OUIs there?

·
Registered
88 Posts
18.25/hr, .75 shift diff. hiring now, hiring in July, probably hiring again in the fall. more ot/details than you could care for.

police work? yea, its there. OUI, assaults, weapons calls, felony drug stuff, etc. etc.

free to do what you want, free to arrest if you want, though "in house" is the preferred response to most.

PM if you want to know more.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Before you think about applying at Bentley, make sure you buy a Block of Cheese, the place has alot of rats, cough, cough "22" :hump:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Uh and so what your saying is no other P.D has rats, ladies and germs i'm willing to bet its like ANY other P.D!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
As long as you come in and do your work, and don't do anything way out of line, you'll have nothing to worry about. The "Rat" problem got mostly cleaned up last year. Despite what a former co-op student might think, the department's really made headway and I recommend it to anyone who will take the job seriously.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.