Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While a quick search of Bentley will show that our colors are blue and gold, our steps to regulate consumption and lower our carbon emissions have this campus going green.

Limiting printing, the new sustainability task forces, "Green Week", an increased number of recycling bins and the "Bentley Green Society" becoming an official club have all been new features to our Waltham campus.

With the importance of sustainability being stressed, many offices on campus have been examining their carbon footprint and one of such organization is the Bentley Police, whose fleet of 6 marked cars gets an average of 15 miles per gallon in the city.

"Whatever we can cut here, we are trying," said Director of Public Safety Ernest Leffler. He went on to say that, "Our first issue is response though. We need to get there (a call) as fast as possible."

The Bentley Police has taken some steps toward lessening their carbon footprint. They have increased their number of bicycles to 4 and continue to retain the services of one biker cop. "One of the reasons we went with the motorcycle is to cut down on the gas consumption," said Leffler.

While there have been steps taken in the right direction, the fleet of 6 automobiles, 4 Crown Victoria's (16 MPG City) and 2 Ford Explorer 4WD (13 MPG City), do represent cars with relatively low efficiency ratings.

This has some students on campus baffled as to why they are asked to cut down on consumption and carbon output, but these cars continue to represent the force on campus.

"It seems unfair that I am required to make necessary sacrifices while some offices on campus are still incredibly taxing to the environment," said junior Lenny Teceno, "It's a buyers market right now and there is no reason why their V8 cruisers and Expeditions can't be traded for smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles that are still sufficiently sized to service the needs of a campus the size of Bentley's."

The students aren't the only ones who think it is on everyone who should make strides to become more environmentally viable.

"I would say just like the student initiatives around campus," said Dean of Student Affairs Andrew Shepardson, "it is incumbent upon all of us to look for what that we can do to be more resourceful and create less of an impact on the environment."

Servicing the needs of the Bentley campus plays an obvious role in the decision on what vehicles to pursue for the Bentley Police. With a compact 163 acre campus and only one location to patrol that is not contained in the immediate vicinity, even chief Leffler admits that many patrols are in a very contained area.

"On any given patrol, officers are asked to patrol the three campuses, north, upper and lower," said Leffler, "Generally speaking, now that we no longer have satellite buildings, our patrols are very much contained to this immediate campus area."

The Bentley Police do occasionally leave the confines of Bentley though, with hospital transport to surrounding areas and the occasional court room visit, the vehicles are sometimes used for a longer journey out of the Waltham area.

Students aren't the only ones concerned though. Leffler says that even some offices around campus have questioned the type of vehicles we are using, to which Chief Leffler pledges that these concerns aren't being overlooked.

"There are some manufacturers who are trying to come out with a fuel efficient police vehicles," said Chief Leffler, "The problem with these vehicles is that police cruisers have a lot of auxiliary equipment and many of these vehicles don't have the battery strength to sustain a vehicle like this."
EPA rating isn't the only problem affecting the Bentley Police's carbon output. With officers stopping and starting their cruiser many times a night, some have taken to leaving the cars in idle for long periods of time. Even though the car isn't being used, carbon is still being emitted into the atmosphere at astonishing rates.

"We are trying to get around that to talk to the officers and get them to stop their idling," said Leffler in response to the constant idling claim, "The truth is though, we never know how long we are going to be idling. It's particularly crazy on the weekends and we are constantly moving with almost no idle time."
Aside from cars, the station has moved to an almost paperless system. While the law requires some paper trail, Bentley Police have initiated a system in which all reports are reported via Banner Web to the respective parties.

"We are trying to cut where we can," concludes Leffler.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Please, for the love of god, don't buy small cars. They're not safe, and most of all--they're humiliating.

Save the money someplace else.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
"It seems unfair that I am required to make necessary sacrifices while some offices on campus are still incredibly taxing to the environment," said junior Lenny Teceno, "It's a buyers market right now and there is no reason why their V8 cruisers and Expeditions can't be traded for smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles that are still sufficiently sized to service the needs of a campus the size of Bentley's."

](*,)

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,540 Posts
Throw a teardrop light on the roof of a SmartCar and that'll work JUST FINE! Just wait until one of these pinheads is in real need and there's no 4wd or simple SUV to get through the snow. "Sorry Lenny, looks like you're screwed!"

some have taken to leaving the cars in idle for long periods of time. Even though the car isn't being used, carbon is still being emitted into the atmosphere at astonishing rates.

That's it, all officers are to wear EXTRA layers of clothing this winter so you can sit in a car that is NOT running and emitting bad things. Only start you car if you are actively patrolling or responding to a call. No sitting for even two minutes to clear your head or just relax. DRIVE THAT MINI COOPER ALL EIGHT HOURS!!!!!

](*,)+ 1

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
Oh boy. Now lets trade in all of the Grounds crews dump trucks for some more fuel efficient GATORS. Give me a break!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have never been to Bentley. I am sure though that the campus police do not drive as far as a MSP Trooper who lives in Worcester and works in Lee drives everyday. Who cares. Carbon footprint BS. These people have their heads so far up their ass. Stupid liberal dumb ass.

Even if we could make America's carbon foot print undetectable America still wants cheap stuff. Other countries like Russia and china have huge pollution problems. So go over to china and other countries were safety of workers and pollution concerns are secondary so you can buy your cheap crap at Wal-Mart.

Do your part, don't make everyone else suffer. Also while your at it, the ocean needs to be emptied using a snow shovel. Let me know when your done Lenny!

·
Registered
601 Posts
How about just shut your piehole lenny!!!Maybe when you get into the corporate world I will stop by the office and take away your, desk, type of computer you use, etc so you can do YOUR part..The only thing these college do to help sacrifice is spend the parents money and drink beer...The press can throw any idiot in the mix and they become an expert..Heres a video example..read the summary..says it all..lol

·
Registered
843 Posts
Give me a break, the Police Department should not sacrifice reliability, comfort and speed for the sake of going green. If these stupid kids want to go green then ride your bicycle around town instead of taking your car to the dining hall every time it rains etc.

A Police Package vehicle, is designed for the rigors of police work, ie alot of idle time and stop go patrol with out blowing the tranny or a head gasket.

My department dumped out CV's and went to a 9C1 impala. Its an ok car and the only car of its size thats a police package. According to the computer it states it gets 9mpg city. I am sure the CV got the same. Its rated at 19 city and the CV is rated at 15 city. However, with all stop and go and idle time its going to get piss poor mpg no matter how you look at it.

Why dont we all just get Lark scooters, with the nice flower basket option and a beeping reverse for extra safety.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
I'm surprised the jagoffs at Bentley weren't spouting off about putting the campus police on Seg-gays

·
18,540 Posts
Has anyone quietly pointed out to chief that he's being ridiculed for his statements? Nah, I guess it wouldn't matter that many in law enforcement see him as being a bit SILLY.

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
THey dont have a clue. The reality is that these cheaper "more efficient" cars dont stand up to the demands of police work. They are cheaper for a reason and would end up costing more in the long run.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They have the new semi enclosed bikes w/ 2 wheels in the front. That would be great... but need "m" class lic and the price is way up there. I would love to drive that think around.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe they should keep the crown vics and get rid of the lights and sirens... then you could make a really cool noise with your mouth when you try to make traffic stops! Imagine the money you could save!!!!!

I'll never understand the thought process of some people...

·
18,540 Posts
Ever try that? It's pretty effective. LMAO
It's effective until it rains, then the paper towel tube gets wet and doesn't work as well when you yell, "HEY YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" through it.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts

The students aren't the only ones who think it is on everyone who should make strides to become more environmentally viable.

Ok Lenny maybe we should do only walking patrols, and if you get a beer bottle smashed over your head, I will just speed up my pace to 5 mph and get across campus in 40 minutes or so while your unconscious bleeding to death. ass wipe!

Lenny is in training to be a future college administrator

·
18,540 Posts
Lenny will no doubt become the guy who oversees the chief of police at some college, he has shown he sure knows police work and it's day to day needs! He's a shoe in!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know you guys probably haven't though about it but....

The financial model citys, towns, and Colleges have run on for the last century is over. Gas, copper, and steel are not cheep, like they used to be, nor will they be again in the future. Other Developing countries continue to need these resources. Costs will continue to rise.

In the past 10 years, towns and state government spending has been cut, and that money is not coming back. Things have changed, and we need to make sacrifices from our budgets where we can, along with all of the other departments, or we're going to have to cut jobs.

Enviornmentally, cutting our carbon contribution makes sense to slow the whole climate change thing, but you guys don't seem to care about that. That is unfortunate for our children.

Seems to me that you guys are just protesting change because you're selfish, and don't want to give up what you have. That might work for the short term, but in the long term we will all pay economically, and enviornmentally.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts