Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
G

·
Hi,

I would love to see what you have on the powers of Deputies. Thanks for making it available.

I have been sworn as a full Deputy in Suffolk County and Middlesex Counties I actually don't know what that actually truly means. When I have asked people who should know, I have gotten a variety of answers. I have been told I can arrest for a crime committed in my presence in the County. The whole breach of the peace thing.

I was told that it is actually better to be sworn as a Deputy Sheriff that as a Special State Police officer because you have a wider jurisdiction if you can believe that.

Former, Suffolk County Sheriff Dennis Kearney started that idea of swearing in Campus Police Officers as Deputies after the BU Police wanted to arrest people off of their property.

Sheriff Cabral has been quite liberal about appointing Deputies provided their are approved by the Campus or Hospital Police Chief.

Regards,

MassCopGuy

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/272-59.htm[/QUOTE]

G

·
csauce30 said:
I believe the main reason that campus departments utilize Sheriffs powers is because as an SSPO, you are restricted to the property basically owned, leased or under control of the college or university. Which means if something occurs off property, unless it falls under "fresh and continued pursuit", or its a blatant felony in your presence, theoretically, you could not act upon it. As sheriffs deputies, your power to act upon something off of your property is enhanced. Even though your powers are restricted by statutes, you would be protected if you had to act upon something. The idea of seeking Boston SPO powers poses a problem for campus police departments because under rule 400, SPO's may not have the word "Police" on their patches, nor may they wear dark blue shirts, must have a red stripe, etc. There are advantages to both of them, but I figure SSPO and Sheriffs powers are probably the best combination.
I think you are exactly right. I don't know of any institutions except private security companies like Longwood, Alliance or Scales that actually go after the Boston Special Police Powers

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,767 Posts
oh my GOD!!!!

Who reactivated this silly crap? I would love to see more tangible and thought provoking stuff in this arena of University/Campus police.
:roll:
Unfortunately nearly every other thread is either "Hey ! can anyone tell me what it's like to work at P.U. or Mass Mental Health & Eye/Lip Center, or the Urban Institute for the Insecure?" or "Hey! super-liberal, who-you-know, need MPOC, College is hiring, what do you think my chances are?"

People could talk about Young vs. B.U. or other relevant and timely stuff like training, equipment and/or networking and union issues. I guess maybe I'm getting too old waiting for this part of the forum to grow up a bit more!

·
2,297 Posts
masscopguy said:
Hi,

I would love to see what you have on the powers of Deputies. Thanks for making it available.

I have been sworn as a full Deputy in Suffolk County and Middlesex Counties I actually don't know what that actually truly means.
Well, Deputy Powers entitle you to really aggravate all actual Police Officers in the vicinity.

You will also be able to lift large amounts of campaign signs with one arm.

Deputy Powers are like Super Powers, but not cool ones like Superman. Think more sucky, like Aquaman.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
I have been sworn as a full Deputy in Suffolk County and Middlesex Counties I actually don't know what that actually truly means.
Doesn't this pretty much say it all?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Many have changed... but not too long ago, there were a few College PD's where the Officers ONLY had Deputy Sheriff powers and actively managed the make arrests. You can make plenty of arrests off the powers if you know them, it's quite easy.

I'm not looking to restart the rant, but Deputies DO have arrest powers and quite a bit if they know how to apply them. But that is where training is NEEDED. They also need to know the elements of laws before they can go enforcing them. So as always, it comes to TRAINING.

·
Registered
174 Posts
masscopguy said:
:huh: Good to know you're out there running around not knowing what the hell you're supposed to be doing. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
fjmas1976 said:
:huh: Good to know you're out there running around not knowing what the hell you're supposed to be doing. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Under Mass General Laws it means that he is a wannabe cop who gets to drive the clown car when the circus comes to town.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Originally Posted by masscopguyI have been sworn as a full Deputy in Suffolk County and Middlesex Counties I actually don't know what that actually truly means.

This is the reason for such negative feelings towards Deputies. Like I said, TRAINING is everything. These guys have powers but A) they don't know what they are and B) They don't know Laws as they don't have any LE training or practical experience. Deputies that go to the R/I still need actual hands on experience within a PD.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.