Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know exactly what the benefits are for being sworn in as a Suffolk Sheriff? I am unclear of what your jurisdiction and powers are under the Suffolk County Sheriffs Department. The college I work for is currently considering these powers. I am just looking for some input.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Honestly, its better to have town special police powers. If your college is in Boston get Boston Special Police Powers. If your department wants to do details for a departments in the county get Sheriffs Powers. But town special police powers are more important as far as the law enforcement aspect goes. With town special police powers you can enforce town ordinances like open container laws, loud music, etc...

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
I have a physical list of what Sheriff's can arrest for, if you would like it Email me privately. As far as city ordinances I believe Sheriff's can make arrests for them. I will cite Boston Police and their academy packet of city ordinances for this information.

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/272-59.htm

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe the main reason that campus departments utilize Sheriffs powers is because as an SSPO, you are restricted to the property basically owned, leased or under control of the college or university. Which means if something occurs off property, unless it falls under "fresh and continued pursuit", or its a blatant felony in your presence, theoretically, you could not act upon it. As sheriffs deputies, your power to act upon something off of your property is enhanced. Even though your powers are restricted by statutes, you would be protected if you had to act upon something. The idea of seeking Boston SPO powers poses a problem for campus police departments because under rule 400, SPO's may not have the word "Police" on their patches, nor may they wear dark blue shirts, must have a red stripe, etc. There are advantages to both of them, but I figure SSPO and Sheriffs powers are probably the best combination.

·
1,952 Posts
NU has SSPO Suffolk and it works well. SSPO gives powers on campus and the Suffolk allows us to chase people that committed crimes off campus. Also if a felony is committed in presence it gives without a doubt authority to arrest. Like csauce30 said, it gives more "umph" to your authority when a crime is committed off campus owned (leased) property

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Union1, you absulutly correct thank you for correcting me on this sheriff powers and town ordinances depbate. Good fine on the law. I am going to confront those officers who gave me the wrong information lol.

G

·
NU has SSPO Suffolk and it works well. SSPO gives powers on campus and the Suffolk allows us to chase people that committed crimes off campus. Also if a felony is committed in presence it gives without a doubt authority to arrest. Like csauce30 said, it gives more "umph" to your authority when a crime is committed off campus owned (leased) property[/quote

All felonies are good to go, in your presence or not. Does not matter if you are a deputy or a town special.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Being a Boston special is not the same as any other town/city. Boston special powers only give authority on property owned by your agency/company and you have no CH 90. So its the same as SSPO powers unless it has changed since I was a Boston special.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
If you are in Boston DO NOT get Boston Special Powers. Boston Specials have to wear a red stripe on their pants. They have to display a badge that states Special Officer this badge expires on. They also can only carry a 38. In addition to having to call boston for every arrest they make. In the city of boston Special powers are not better. Go with the county.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
See Below for a listing of Powers

www.members.aol.com/epd0407/sher.pdf

Edited 8/2/04 - This document was not present during Jesus Christ's Last supper. It furthermore was not written by Peter, Paul, Luke, John nor anyone who took part in writing the Holy Bible (New Testament or old). To my knowlege it was also not written by Punjab, Apu, nor Barbara Eden or any other mythical genie/Arab figure. It was also not written by any Roman, Pagan, Greek god nor goddess. It was given to me by a campus police department who employed the use of SCSD powers while I was doing research into our union contract. Therefor I would assume that it was written by a human being located somewhere on this plane of existence. I hope this clears up any wonderings as to where it came from or wether or not to take this list as the word of god.

edited by Irishpride on 7/29 to enable link

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are in Boston DO NOT get Boston Special Powers. Boston Specials have to wear a red stripe on their pants. They have to display a badge that states Special Officer this badge expires on. They also can only carry a 38. In addition to having to call boston for every arrest they make. In the city of boston Special powers are not better. Go with the county.
This is all true...and in addition...according to the BPD licensing unit...they will no longer give Boston special powers to Campus agencies, unless their officers are contract security officers assigned to the campus. (ie: Brigham & Womens = Pinkerton, Simons College = Longwood Security (formerly) etc.) Campus departments that have in house police/public safety departments must get their powers from SCSD, or SSPO. This came from the BPD Licensing unit at HQ.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
union1 @ 29 Jul 2004 14:41 said:

I hate to call BS for some of this;
What official handbook is this "Sheriff Powers" being copied from?
:roll:

If you're going to arrest as a deputy under 90-10, I would ask what was the reason for you as a deputy to initiate a stop, and then to articulate how it is a "breach of the peace" offense?

90-25 refers specifically to "police officers" Again, without some case law like Commonwealth-Baez, how does a deputy arrest a person for refusal to submit to a "police officer" and how do you present it as a "breach of the peace"?

If you're a Campus Cop with no Statutory CH90 to begin with, be verrry careful of what you think will fly as a deputy sheriff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Simmons College eliminated the Boston Special issue by hiring SSPO's. They still have some contract security (Securitas, formerly Pinkerton) but I don't believe any of them are Boston Specials anymore. Their division of police :vcop: should be up to speed by now...

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
mpd61 @ Sun 01 Aug said:
If you're going to arrest as a deputy under 90-10, I would ask what was the reason for you as a deputy to initiate a stop, and then to articulate how it is a "breach of the peace" offense?
And that right there is the major misunderstanding with the whole "breach of the peace" Deputy issue. As it was explained to me as far as Baez goes, basically a Deputy can initiate a stop for a CMVI not tantamount to a "breach of the peace" but Deputies are restricted as to which offenses they can assert for. The significant and often overlooked distinction between an arrest and a stop is what often trips people up when trying to decipher the meaning of the Baez ruling. remember as confusing as the case and the subsequent ruling was it basically said the stop was good and that Deputies have authority to conduct stops for CMVI because they have powers to serve criminal process it was the arrest that was no good because of the lack of statutory or common law right of arrest for the non breach of the peace offense, and then there was the whole citation book issue which is a whole separate matter.

mpd61 @ Sun 01 Aug said:
If you're a Campus Cop with no Statutory CH90 to begin with, be verrry careful of what you think will fly as a deputy sheriff.
I couldn't agree with statement more, its very easy to make bad case law especially when relying on common law and case law that is ambigious and open to varrying interpretations.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
mpd61 @ Sun 01 Aug said:
union1 @ 29 Jul 2004 14:41 said:

I hate to call BS for some of this;
What official handbook is this "Sheriff Powers" being copied from?
It was given to me by an agency who employed the use of SCS Powers. The officer who gave it to me stated that it was given to them BY THE SCSD. If you have an issue with it call them. I was asked for the list and i provided it. ](*,) I wouldnt mind being a fly on the wall when you decide to call them and argue it however.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
The only book of "powers" that matters in any situation is a book beginning with the letters M G L not SCSD or anything else. Never in my near 20 years have I ever seen or heard of a 90-10 or 90-23 arrest deemed a breach of the peace! :? Likewise under 90-25 suppose the operator simply gives you his brother's name? Is THAT a breach of the peace too? That is beyond the stretch of imagination.......Might as well lock everyone up who spits on that sidewalk too

·
8,756 Posts
USMCTrooper @ 01 Aug 2004 23:27 said:
The only book of "powers" that matters in any situation is a book beginning with the letters M G L not SCSD or anything else. Never in my near 20 years have I ever seen or heard of a 90-10 or 90-23 arrest deemed a breach of the peace! :? Likewise under 90-25 suppose the operator simply gives you his brother's name? Is THAT a breach of the peace too? That is beyond the stretch of imagination.......Might as well lock everyone up who spits on that sidewalk too
Thank-You, Thank-you, a voice of reason...................................................
:wink:

Union1,

I know we've not seen eye-to-eye on several issues, but nothing personal. Sheriffs powers are NOT some magic carpet that extends, stretches, expands, grants, covers, cross-connects, links or combines with SSPO or other authority to fill-in-the gaps, cover-the-bases, or otherwise confer upon Campus Police Officers some multi-jurisdictional authority to rein in the perps. YIKES :shock:

If you're a cop on fresh pursuit then great. Thats all you need. If you use Sheriff Powers off-campus (dorms, etc) I guess you'll be looking at limited powers for "breach of peace" issues.

Again, most Campus Cops DON"T have statutory CH.90 to begin with. And as a Campus Cop out on the "street", your sheriff powers are NOT some all-inclusive police authority!
:roll:

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
My point has obviously not been gotten so im going to spell it out just like I have to with my 4 year old cousin.

Emerson does not employ SCSD powers

I am NOT a sworn deputy

I in now way ever said that these powers are a blanket for campus police

I in no way ever stated that the listshould be taken as the bible

I never claimed that it grants the right to practice chapter 90.

I never claimed any laws that are listed in it are right, wrong or whatever.

Now :::::::::::::::

I was asked for a copy of the list I stated to have: Rather then scan it in and send it to every tom dick and harry through Email I decided to post it so everyone could see it and take what they want from it.

If you dont like what it says there is a simple thing you may do; click the little X at the top right corner of the screen and get off my ass about it. Capeesh?

·
8,756 Posts
union1 @ 02 Aug 2004 10:46 said:
My point has obviously not been gotten so im going to spell it out just like I have to with my 4 year old cousin.
Ouch!!!!!

Emerson does not employ SCSD powers
I am NOT a sworn deputy
I in now way ever said that these powers are a blanket for campus police
I in no way ever stated that the listshould be taken as the bible
I never claimed that it grants the right to practice chapter 90.
I never claimed any laws that are listed in it are right, wrong or whatever.
I, Yi, yi!!!
Now :::::::::::::::
I was asked for a copy of the list I stated to have: Rather then scan it in and send it to every tom dick and harry through Email I decided to post it so everyone could see it and take what they want from it.
[]O.K., thanks for sharing with us, I just posted my opinion, not an attack on Y-O-U

If you dont like what it says there is a simple thing you may do; click the little X at the top right corner of the screen and get off my ass about it. Capeesh?[/quote
But you have such a cute ass!!!!!!
:wink:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.