Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i would consider myself a beginner as far as serious long distance running. In high school i long jumped and practiced with the sprinters, but i have always despised any long distance running. However i know its a necessary evil and hope that as i become better i can actually enjoy it more.

So i guess I'm looking for any advice or recommendations on how to really start as a beginner and build my running up. My goal is to be able to run 5 miles at very respectable pace and really want to get some lungs on me. I don't want to have to learn how to run whenever I make it into the Academy, I'd like to be one of the guys at the head of the pack.

Thanks for any information you can spare.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've recently started running in preparation for a military Officer Program. Two months ago, I could barely "run" 1-1.5 miles... I've failed two police PT exams because of the 1.5 mile run since last spring, a fact of which I am quite embarrassed.

I started preparing for what I am attempting to get into now no more than 2 months ago, barely being able to do 1.5 miles in 16 or so minutes. In that short time, I have brought it up to being able to do over 3 miles - my last timed 3 mile was 25:18. I know that it is nothing to brag about, but its a huge improvement.

My problem was running by myself. For me, it was hard to be motivated when I went by myself, and I would tell myself "ok, that's good enough for today."

Moral of the story: Get a friend who is a better runner than you, and catch him. Give yourself short term goals, and keep building 'em up once you hit them.

Where are you from/living? PM me, I usually get out 5 days a week for a run.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
Right now i would consider myself a beginner as far as serious long distance running. In high school i long jumped and practiced with the sprinters, but i have always despised any long distance running. However i know its a necessary evil and hope that as i become better i can actually enjoy it more.

So i guess I'm looking for any advice or recommendations on how to really start as a beginner and build my running up. My goal is to be able to run 5 miles at very respectable pace and really want to get some lungs on me. I don't want to have to learn how to run whenever I make it into the Academy, I'd like to be one of the guys at the head of the pack.

Thanks for any information you can spare.
I would recommend finding the nearest housing project, walk in on foot, and start throwing rocks.

This will greatly increase your running ability.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
I started preparing for what I am attempting to get into now no more than 2 months ago, barely being able to do 1.5 miles in 16 or so minutes. In that short time, I have brought it up to being able to do over 3 miles - my last timed 3 mile was 25:18. I know that it is nothing to brag about, but its a huge improvement.
That's almost an 8 minute mile, which is respectable in anyone's book.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol thanks guys i'm in Boston c train. How often should I be changing my goal, each week? And should i be more focusing on running a faster mile for example, or working on running a decent 2 mile. I guess what i mean is do you run for the distance and then afterwards work on speed, or work on your speed and slowly increase the distance?

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
lol thanks guys i'm in Boston c train. How often should I be changing my goal, each week? And should i be more focusing on running a faster mile for example, or working on running a decent 2 mile. I guess what i mean is do you run for the distance and then afterwards work on speed, or work on your speed and slowly increase the distance?
Build up your mileage rather than speed. The further you run, the more efficiently your lungs will work and the speed will also slowly increase with that mileage.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The key is to increase your mileage slowly, do what your comfortable with right now then make a schedule. Increase your mileage by a 1/2 mile every two weeks until you work up to your goal, then work on improving your time per mile. To mix it up, once a week go to the high school track and jog the corners and sprint the straight away. This is exactly what I did and by the time I was up to my goal I could run 5 miles at around 8:15 per without breathing heavy and I am no natural runner.

·
Registered
241 Posts
TrooperzSon, I'm out in western MA for school, so oh well.

For the PFT test I am preparing for, I have to do 3 miles in under 24 minutes, 18 minutes being a perfect score - so I first worked on the distance I needed, which at first seemed like it was to the end of the world and back. Now that I have the distance, I am working on the time - It's working pretty well; what did you say your distance goal was?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Trooperzson,

My best piece of advice is to get some good shoes. For my first few weeks in the academy, I was running wearing a regular pair of off the shelf running shoes, and I was having alot of pain in my right knee and shins. I went to a actual store that specialized in running and track, and they evaluated my stride and wear on my sneakers, and reccommended a shoe and inserts. Now I can run without any pain in my legs. Not sure how old you are, but I'm closer to 30 than I am 20, and I'm now starting to experience those aches and pains that you get from being young and stupid. Good shoes will help.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice you guys, answered all my questions. Right now my goal is 5 miles i figure at my current level thats probably reasonable. However to be honest if i really do improve and reach my goal, I'll probably want to see how far i can really go. My dad whose is a long distance runner even at 60, wants me to get to Boston Marathon level but i figure one step at at time. Were just not built the same he could run a marathon by sure will power, and i don't think he really even ran till the MSP Academy. I'm way more athletically inclined, but i def need to prepare more than him.

Also i think someone asked how old I am, I'm 21 so i really have no excuse. I actually picked up two pairs of really nice running shoes that i alternate when i do run. One other thing i wanted to ask is about weight lifting and running. I'm almost 6'5 so my legs are long as hell and workouts like squats can be awkward and embarrassing and not my strong point. I'm starting to suffer from skinny leg syndrome and i feel like it is also part of what's slowing me down from my goal. I didn't have read the "cool runnings" site yet, so if there's is something on lifting for running my apologies. However if anyone has a lifting leg routine they use to help build there skills at running, I would appreciate any direction.

Once again thanks for all the advice already given, really has been above and beyond what I expected.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I can't stress running with someone else as a key to helping, and making it alot more barible.

I lost like 45-50lbs to join the Air Guard, but did it strictly through dieting....When I goto basic, my first 2 mile run was 26 minutes ( at age 18 mind you ).... I'm not even kidding...I was sucking wind the whole way.... I had the fatty's and the smokers passing me....it was horrible.... Then the T.I.'s at the end making it even more fun for me....

By week 4.....running 3 -4 times a week, I knocked it down to 17:43, just enough to pass the damn test, but I did it. And while that is nothing to brag about either, in the end, it really didn't take that much effort to knock it down.... I kept telling myself I was going to stay with pack, and eventually I was.

Stick with it.... Running sucks plain and simple...anyone who gets off on it should be shot....That being said, suck it up and find a buddy to run with...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't forget to stretch a lot to prevent injuries. Also, work your legs at least once a week and supplement the outside runs with treadmill runs/stair master/cycling/etc.. Sit ups and scissor kicks will build up your hip flexors because if you pull one of those, you can be f*cked. You will learn to love running and hate it as well. Sort of like a relationship, ha ha!

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Hurt-Agony-Pain....Love it

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
For the first two weeks run twice a day

Week 1
Run 1 mile (fast as you can without passing out) twice a day. 2 miles twice a day if your in better shape.

Week 2
Run 2 miles (fast as you can without passing out) twice a day. 3 mile
and a 2 mile run a day if your in better shape.

The twice a day for 2 weeks will condition your body out of the aces and pains. on the 3rd week start a 3/4/5 day program running once in a day and increase you distance dont run for time on this week onward. After you have your desired distance you want to run a day focus on time. Remember it took you a long time to get out of shape it will take you a while to get into shape as well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.