Barnstable Sheriff CBRN Boat | MassCops

Barnstable Sheriff CBRN Boat

Discussion in 'Sheriffs' started by 9X19, Nov 21, 2015.

1. 9X19

9X19 MassCops Member

BOURNE - The Barnstable County Sheriff's Office announced this week that they will be taking to the water aboard at 31-foot SAFE boat courtesy of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). According to a BCSO release, the regional agency has been awarded a grant in the amount of $445,965 to purchase and equip the vessel and train personnel.

The funding is made possible through the Department of Homeland Security's Port Security Grant Program. The focus of the program is port security and maritime domain awareness. DHS provides funding and support to state local and regional agencies such as BCSO to respond to transportation security incidents. SAFE boats such as the one to be purchased by the sheriff, are used to carry out DHS's "small vessel security strategy". While DHS focuses on improvised devises concealed in large vessels and container ships, "Blue Force" agencies focus on small vessels and developing working relationships within the local marine community .

According to DHS, there are more than 17 million small vessels in the waters of the United States.

The SAFE boat will be equipped with RadNuc/CBRN capabilities and will be the only boat between Boston and Providence with radiation detection equipment, the release said. Small vessels pass through our waters undetected, a troubling thought considering the proximity of the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth to the water. "With over 400 miles of shore line and the Cape's many harbors and inlets, as well as our large boating community and numerous ferry services, a vessel of this type is long overdue," said Barnstable County Sheriff Jim Cummings.

BCSO is expecting to take delivery of the vessel within a month or two, the release said.

- See more at: Barnstable County Sheriff's Office positions itself as an on-the-water "Blue Force Asset" | CapeCodToday.com

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  2. 9X19

9X19 MassCops Member

3. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Doesn't Middlesex have a boat also? That's like giving the Court Officers a armored vehicle. Useless....BCSO if you really want to be part of the solution had that beast over to one of the MANY agencies down there that can actually use it.

militia_man likes this.
  4. felony

felony MassCops Member

Good I hope they issue those reckless boaters a lot of 90B citations, oh wait.

5. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I think MCSO got rid of their boat but I could be wrong. I thought I read something about it a year or two back on here.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

they are just expanding their mission so when the budget comes up they can justify an increase.

Mr Scribbles likes this.
  7. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Barnstable County is using a grant to purchase a specialized boat.
    BARNSTABLE COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPT.

8. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

This is going to be a public relations nightmare for the sheriff. He should save face and turn this boat down while he still can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Hmmm looks familiar.

[​IMG]

Goose likes this.
  10. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Plenty of room for the grill and cooler. Should add a new dimension to the annual clambake.

Tuna, militia_man and Goose like this.
  11. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

Absolute friggin DISGRACE! MSP/EPO's/BPD/Bourne/Wareham/Fall Riv/New Bedford/Plymouth and about three DOZEN other municipal agencies could put this to 1000% better use than an agency whose primary reason for existance is the "custody and care" of inmates. Helll, there are even one or two CAMPUS PD's that have more legit use for these friggin boats!
    :mad:

Goose and militia_man like this.
  12. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

o_O has this been reflagged with a municipal/state agency then?????
    jerks.jpg